Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
New Big Agnes Tents
Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Kuzak
(KC)
Tents on 12/29/2012 19:26:10 MST Print View

That BA Fly Creek Platinum 1 sounds neat. A 27 oz tent is nice. Anybody have any idea how that material holds up without a ground cloth? With the ground cloth, it's in the range of my Kilo 1p, 2 lbs.

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Platinum edition on 12/29/2012 20:43:52 MST Print View

I just bought the Fly Creek UL 2 Platinum and the floor feels like 30D silnylon--very thin and more slippery than the 'heavier' versions. I suspect I'll throw some GG polypro under it as a groundsheet for an oz just to add a layer of protection. The whole tent uses ultralight materials, which shouldn't be a surprise.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
tent zips on 12/30/2012 16:29:48 MST Print View

"Personally, I'd gladly sacrifice a couple of ounces for better zippers on this tent."

Jeff,
Even the light coil zips rated around #3 vary quite a bit. The black YKK ones from Quest and other suppliers weight about an ounce per 8 feet and have a very fine coil. OK for the netting, but maybe not for the door in the outer shell which is more exposed to the elements. For the outer zips, there is a slightly heavier coil, at about 1.2 ounces per 8 feet, available from Warmlite, that is more durable.

So you may not have to add even as much as a couple ounces to get a sturdier zipper.
For serious icing, there is a #3 Delrin tooth zipper I also obtained from Warmlite sometime ago.

Scott Smith
(mrmuddy) - M

Locale: No Cal
New Big Agnes Tents on 12/31/2012 13:56:44 MST Print View

So.. anyone know when we'll be able to see the new " magnet" tents .. in person ? (other than " sometime in the spring of 2013 " )