SnowShoe boots?
Display Avatars Sort By:
dave e
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
merrell norsehunds on 01/18/2013 23:04:24 MST Print View

I bought a pair of merrell norsehunds.They are a mid boot.They have the D ring and the rib thing for strap slippage.They are waterproof so far however my feet were getting cold at 20deg even though rated to -20 !Light and roomy.You can get them for 90$ at rei.I wouldnt pay more than that for a pair.Quality control is an issue with merrells- the merrell peak phasers illustrate this as every pair i have submerged in water at the store, has leaked despite being 'waterproof'.

Stephen Komae
(skomae) - MLife

Locale: northeastern US
Norsehund Alpha on 01/18/2013 23:21:45 MST Print View

For this season I decided to try the Merrell Norsehund Alpha. They are the more expensive ($200) Norsehund boot variant and have a removable neoprene inner boot. The rubber goes up and over the toes, which is in my experience the first to leak on most boots, so these should have a better useful life than most. They are plenty warm without making my feet sweat much, and great so far on my last 3-day sub-freezing backpacking.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Trail runners and 40 Below on 01/19/2013 00:19:37 MST Print View

I just wear my regular trail runners with a thicker wool sock and a pair of 40 Below TR overboots. I was out last weekend in substantially sub-zero temps and very comfortable and light.

http://40below.com/products_detail.php?ProductID=13

Here's the weather as we left for the trail which was 10 minutes away:

weather