November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
SnowShoe boots?
Display Avatars Sort By:
dave p
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
merrell norsehunds on 01/18/2013 23:04:24 MST Print View

I bought a pair of merrell norsehunds.They are a mid boot.They have the D ring and the rib thing for strap slippage.They are waterproof so far however my feet were getting cold at 20deg even though rated to -20 !Light and roomy.You can get them for 90$ at rei.I wouldnt pay more than that for a pair.Quality control is an issue with merrells- the merrell peak phasers illustrate this as every pair i have submerged in water at the store, has leaked despite being 'waterproof'.

Stephen Komae
(skomae) - MLife

Locale: northeastern US
Norsehund Alpha on 01/18/2013 23:21:45 MST Print View

For this season I decided to try the Merrell Norsehund Alpha. They are the more expensive ($200) Norsehund boot variant and have a removable neoprene inner boot. The rubber goes up and over the toes, which is in my experience the first to leak on most boots, so these should have a better useful life than most. They are plenty warm without making my feet sweat much, and great so far on my last 3-day sub-freezing backpacking.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Trail runners and 40 Below on 01/19/2013 00:19:37 MST Print View

I just wear my regular trail runners with a thicker wool sock and a pair of 40 Below TR overboots. I was out last weekend in substantially sub-zero temps and very comfortable and light.

Here's the weather as we left for the trail which was 10 minutes away: