Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 2013 Plans

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
2013 Plans on 12/28/2012 16:07:49 MST Print View

While the changing of a calendar year is certainly pretty arbitrary, it's hard for me not to assess what I did in 2012 and plan for 2013. Not "resolutions", just some backpacking related things I want to make happen.

1. Simplify my gear. I paired down considerably in 2012, ending the year with less than I started with. I resolved to buy no new gear in 2012 and generally did well. I only fudged on two accounts: sold a Montbell Tachyon and bought a Houdini (which I love); sold a MSR Hubba, bought a Solomid, then sold the Solomid and bought another MSR. Somehow I lost no money in all of this. So all in all, a jacket for a jacket and an attempt at a new tent.
The main thing I'm looking at in 2013 is a new pack and hopefully one that will replace the two I currently own. I've been using a Jam for the better part of 4 years and a Granite Gear Vapor Trail for winter/more weight. I'd like to replace both with a single, larger pack, capable of water hauling, carrying extra stuff for the kids, and winter bulk. Likely a ULA Catalyst.

2. Start fishing again! I used to fly fish quite a bit, tie my own flies, etc. I think it's time to get bit by the Tenkara bug. It looks like it's the antidote to the doldrums of western fly fishing that I need. Less stuff, less effort=more likely to fish. I want to start fishing with my kids; I think Tenkara is the way to go for them.

3. Combine some surfing with backpacking in some way. I'm considering looking into leaving the country to do this. I've positively fallen in love with surfing again; riding a remote break with a tent pitched somewhere inland sounds like pure joy.

4. Get the kids out more. They're bigger and stronger; it's high time to step it up with them on some more involved trips.

5. Slow down. I used to be quite enamored with mileage; not so much anymore. I want to trips more centered on getting into and exploring remote places, off trail, rather than simply putting in miles.

Your plans?

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: Plans on 12/28/2012 16:58:58 MST Print View

Good thread, Craig.

My plans:
1. Maximize my time outdoors- this I have never had a problem with

2. Maximize my time with family- need to work on this one more. I have spent so much of my time thinking about "what is the next great adventure?" I worry that it has cut into thinking about "What is the next adventure I can do with my kids?"

beach

sleep
This was a particularly good one.

3. Multimodal travel- Combining hiking, biking, packrafting, and skiing in various ways to take advantage of the new routes through the wilderness. Planning a ski/coastal hiking trip in Ontario in two weeks, and a ski/packraft along a local river sometime soon.

4. Seeing old places in new ways- come spring thaw, I hope to packraft the northville-placid trail through the adirondacks, one of my favorite places in the world.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: 2013 Plans on 12/28/2012 17:38:28 MST Print View

1. Do a trip with Ike. We've been talking about it for close to a year now, and timing just hasn't worked out. I want to make it work out in 2013.

2. Get out a lot more. I hardly got out at all in 2012, I need to make it happen a lot more in 2013.

3. Get back out to a GGG. I miss my Cali friends, but wasn't able to get to a GGG in 2012. I need to make the fall GGG this year.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: 2013 Plans on 12/28/2012 17:49:19 MST Print View

More trips but more spread out - I concentrated my hikes from May to August in 2012, so branching out season-wise and geographically. Hit the Pecos solo 1 weekene, with some old buddies the next, and new ones from BPL after that, so I can repeat that type of concentration.

Add that gear wise I need to replace some sleeping items for 15F nights.

Edited by hknewman on 12/28/2012 21:24:56 MST.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
My 2013 Plans on 12/28/2012 17:55:28 MST Print View

1) Finish the AT. Could be a stretch but possible if I put in another 1200 miles like this year.
2) Nail down my winter gear. Now that I live in PA I want to be able to effortlessly hike or snowshoe in the winter as I do in the summer.
3) do the JMT or Similiar trail with my youngest son. I miss the Sierra and I think my youngest could get a kick out of a fast JMT hike.
4) do at least one trip where I don't give a $&@? What miles I do.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
2013 Plans on 12/28/2012 17:59:17 MST Print View

My only definite is another mountaineering trip. After Mt Baker, I'm hooked.

Maybe get out for a few days on the Lone Star trail, and back to the Hill Country

Harrison Carpenter
(carpenh) - M

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley
2013 plans on 12/28/2012 18:37:15 MST Print View

My plans are simple.

1) Find a way to finally get into the realm of true ultralight hikers, but cutting those last 3 ounces-- without sacrificing anything in the way of comfort, durability, and quality; and

2) Take my one true love out into the backcountry, on her first hiking trip since 2002-- by supporting her weight-loss goals and giving her all the help I possibly can to see her achieve them.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
2013 plans on 12/28/2012 20:53:14 MST Print View

(1) More pleasure trips. I love my service trips but as I age I'd like some more time to smell the roses, so to speak.

(2) More packrafting.

(3) More trips with the girls and guys on the BPL threads.

(4) I have two bucket list trips [Siberian taiga and South Georgia Island crossing]. Maybe get one of them done next year.

(5) Sell my house in Dallas. So I can afford item 4.

Richard

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: 2013 Plans on 12/28/2012 21:40:49 MST Print View

Be creative, with what I have, when I can, wherever I can.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: 2013 Plans on 12/28/2012 23:48:07 MST Print View

To be better in almost every aspect than the 2012 version.

Nah. Just put some trips together to make Doug happy.

Alex Eriksson
(aeriksson) - M

Locale: Austin, TX
Re: 2013 Plans on 12/29/2012 02:07:00 MST Print View

1. Start mountain biking again. Now that I can't downhill on a regular basis following a move to Texas I need that two wheeled dirt fix in some fashion. I'm a head full of bad wiring without it.

2. See [and backpack] Yosemite and/or Grand Canyon for the first time.

3. Amass enough gear that I can bring along my friends on backpacking trips who haven't sold their souls for a paycheck like I have. Maybe start paying off all the bad karma I'll be fostering in 2013 as a life-long hater.

4. Finally get a passport and use it, even if it's to go to Mexico, get chased by the cartels, and quickly come home.

5. Continue to not have kids. Sorry all ya'll family guys, but it's a cheat-code for a life of selfish living and I intend to use it!

Edited by aeriksson on 12/29/2012 02:08:03 MST.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
So much to do...so little time... on 12/29/2012 08:28:07 MST Print View

1) do NOT buy more gear. Use what I have and enjoy it!

2) JMT. I've had a thru hike itch since taking an 11-day hike last year and not wanting to stop. Before I go and do something drastic and quit my job and sell my house, I thought a shorter thru (stretching it to 21 days) with resupplies might help me decide if yes, I really do want to hike 2600 miles.

3) get my backside out of the Midwest!!!! I've been eyeing Oregon (excellent place for my profession, and it's nice and liberal. Or so I hear...). I need to move out of Chicago finally...I can only hike these little trails so many times....

4) have fun!! Enjoy life! Spend time with my friends! Play fetch with my dog! Put exclamation points at the end of all my sentences!!

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
2013 plans on 12/29/2012 08:37:34 MST Print View

Get my leg fixed so i can walk more than a mile without crying. :-)

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
JMT and Allegheny Trail on 12/29/2012 08:58:44 MST Print View

I plan to do the JMT in the summer and the Allegheny in the fall. I also hope to squeeze in plenty of mountain biking, canoeing, trail running, and maybe a bike tour or two.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
2013 Plans on 12/29/2012 09:54:15 MST Print View

I did pretty well after reading Craig's "no new gear" post last year. I think it was Craig. Did find a bargain on a used Nunatak that I had always wanted. But the downside was I turned around, and put a bunch into bicycles. Oops.

@Mike Reid - I feel your pain. Not making a lot of plans, because I'm doing some post-op knee icing.

small knee

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
2013 on 12/29/2012 10:17:36 MST Print View

@Joe
I'm confused by the medical advice i'm getting.
I went over the handlebars of my bike, and tore my labial ligament in my hip. I had a keyhole repair job, and i now walk with a limp. A more recent surgeon has said that my pelvis is now twisted, causing the limp. I didn't have a limp, or twisted pelvis pre surgery. I now have severe pain in the affected leg, and take major painkillers just to cope with everyday working life. The latest surgeon said i need a hip replacement. I'm only 51 and was running ultras before this shit!

I may start a new thread on choosing a surgeon.

Edited by MikefaeDundee on 12/29/2012 10:27:38 MST.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
2013 on 12/29/2012 12:29:18 MST Print View

@Mike
Wow, I'll quit whining about my knee now. And my hip has been hurting since I tried to start running last summer, and now I'm afraid to get it looked into! Anyway, good luck with yours; I hope you find someone who can fix it.

Jacob Smith
(Wrongturn) - MLife

Locale: The Soda
re: on 12/29/2012 13:01:40 MST Print View

Planning 5 days of Tenkara fishing in Dolly Sods and buying a packraft and ULA Epic

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
kid stuff on 12/29/2012 19:34:56 MST Print View

My plans are to find things to do with my 2 girls outdoors. I plan on taking them car camping as much as possible. I also hope to get my oldest one out for at least 1 overnight backpacking trip.

Other than that, I will be getting ready for 2 more girls on the form of twins.

I'll be stocking up on dipers now and tampons in a dozen or so years. I just hope all 5 women in the hosuse don't get their cycles synced up or I'm screwed!

All in all, I'm sure it will be a good time.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: 2013 Plans on 12/29/2012 20:10:17 MST Print View

My plan is to not have any more kids this coming year ;-) Two kids in 3 years was a lot to handle, my hiking took a big hit. Which was OK. Husband is fine with taking care of them all now, especially that they are growing so fast, and not helpless infants ;-)

My oldest is 15, he has had 4 years of living it up and not hiking with me much. I need to change that back!
The middle one is almost 3, he loves hiking (and bitty gear) and can do about 3 miles now.
The youngest is 10 months, walking and is 100% percentile. Yeah, I can't wait to haul him this coming year.

So that leads me back to my current goal - I am working out with my husband's trainer again. And it is doing wonders quickly.

All I care is I get outside and enjoy it. Alone or with my kids and husband. I am not picky!! We have plans for late winter.......and spring as well so far.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
2013 on 12/29/2012 20:31:27 MST Print View

Change things around a bit at work so I can make some lifestyle changes and mix my schedule up. Less traffic. More running, biking, visiting friends, cooking.

Get a vehicle large enough to sleep my three kids. Outfit it appropriately. Drive around the west with our feet hanging out the window, sleeping everywhere and sharing fires with friends and strangers.

Get my kids out in true nature excursions, not focused on hiking around but on hiking into places and camping where one can study/examine natural environments in detail. They lovE this stuff as much as daddy does.

Try a new idea I have to run beautiful one-day off trail routes from a nearby basecamp.

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
Trip plans on 12/29/2012 20:32:14 MST Print View

We've got two trips in the plans...one from Sonora Pass to Hetch-Hetchy, the other one probably into Cloud Canyon in SEKI. And we'll fill in as usual with a few other 2-4 day trips as well.

That's if the weather lets up enough. Right now I am pleased as punch that there is a TON of snow in the SIerra.

John Frederick Anderson
(fredfoto) - F

Locale: Spain
2013 on 12/30/2012 04:47:53 MST Print View

2012 was a no over night hike year for me due to vast amounts of work, health issues, totally redecorating the appartment, lots of international travel, and general exhaustion when I had time off. I am chilling in a rural house in southern France for two weeks over the holidays, and hiking in the Black Mountains on day hikes everyday, thinking about next year and what to do.
Hiking really helps me think, and has since I started years ago. Just being in the mountains with fresh air and views clears it all away. I live in downtown Barcelona, so walks along the beach have to do during the the high intensity work periods. I am always thinking about how I could change my life to live in the hills and hike all the time.

2013 starts with too much work, but no big trips, so I can factor in some serious time off.
First thing I'm going to aim for is to save as much money as possible. We decided we have everything we need for a while, so, no worries.
Second is do more work for me, and finish a couple of projects, and show some work and organize a few shows.
Third is think about doing a few weeks in the Pyrenees in July, just wandering around, sections of GRD and HRP etc and convincing my wife to come along. I really missed my annual visit this year, but I had three weeks shooting in southern France in July, so I can't complain.
I have honed my gear down to the absolute minimum over the last few years, Golite Ion, Rab TopBag, MLD Cuben SoloMid and I go no cook, so fast and light for me. If the wife comes along, I will bring the palace, Golite Hex, and a stove for cups of tea. No need to buy any more gear this year.

I haven't made it past summer yet in terms of plans. We are thinking of relocating due to the political situation in Cataluña, so who knows what that may entail. Always up for an adventure.

All the best to everyone for 2013.

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
2013 on 12/30/2012 06:41:11 MST Print View

2013 will be a banner year.

* 2012 was a transition year. I've been in decent shape and could do all of the hikes that I planned, but I never pushed myself. The Search and rescue group that I belong to added some serious physical/ and certification requirements. This, along with some bucket list goals that I have - put me on a fitness quest. I have trained for and completed a few mini-triathlons and plan on more. This cross training is great - as I can alternate the abuse I throw at my body. The result has been that I am down 25 lbs and I am looking at bigger and better goals for my "silver" years. This new fitness level has made everything easier and I have removed this weight from my gear list without sacrificing function. :)

*2013 - I am going on the trip of a lifetime. We are trekking to the lower reaches of the Arctic ocean with sled in tow - using the iced over rivers as highways for two weeks with no resupply. We are making/modifying most of our gear as the commercially available gear does not meet our needs or is too expensive. The prep has been a great learning experience.
- I will move up the ladder in my fitness quest and add longer races. I will continue to increase my certifications and spend more time off-trail in the woods.

Enjoy,

Dave

Edited by dmgoody on 12/30/2012 06:44:11 MST.

Brian Morgan
(bmor831) - F

Locale: Houston, TX
2013... on 12/30/2012 11:34:11 MST Print View

1. I have a 4-day kayak camping trip planned in February here in Texas.

2. Mountain bike more.

3. Improve at bouldering.

4. Take at least 2 long backpacking trips.

5. Keep my wife happy so she allows me to do the first four.

Alex Joseph
(alxjalxj) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains grew up Lk Superior
2013... on 12/30/2012 14:15:29 MST Print View

Great time of year to evaluate 2012 and look forward to the longer days...

I started 2012 chomping at the bit on BPL last New Year's mainly on the Philosophy discussions and although I liked the do not buy chat I failed this year at that...more on that later.

2012 Highlights included:

- After a long slog on the skiis up to Balfour Glacier in January in a whiteout, I redeemed myself on Mt. Field in February on an absolute blue bird day with perfect avy conditions...it was perhaps my best powder day ever.

- In Feb, I took a couple friends up a long sought after (for me) multi-pitch ice classic in the Ghost - The House of Sky, his 3rd climb and her 1st climb...spiritual area for sure.

- A buddy and I got aggressive and went rock climbing on March 9th in Stone Hill Montana...that is the earliest I've climbed this far north...and it was 18C...needless to say our backcountry campout was warm but ice climbing was done for that weekend.

- Easter road trip to Moab with my 9 yr old daughter. We camped in the snow in Montana, then had 80 degree weather in Salt Lake. Moab was warm with a swim in the campground pool the first night then snow in the Arches campground. Maybe a week or two early but the start of something. We got on the mountain bikes and spent an incredibly clear night in Arches by the campfire.

- In April, I got out for a weekend of rock climbing in Skaha and then Revelstoke before bailing on skiing at Kootenay Pass due to warm weather

- I started following Dave Chenault's blog http://bedrockandparadox.com/ and had plans of doing the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open but got stymied a week before due to the boss denying the holiday because a client wanted to meet...nothing came of it so its on the agenda for 2013

- This year was supposed to be the year where I "got good" at whitewater kayaking, previous years I had dabbled up to Grade 2...I found what turned out to be my season buddy and we started in May and ended up self-guiding ourselves on the Red Deer River Grade 3 by July and in the interim paddling most of the Grade 2/2+ rivers in Southern Alberta.

- Getting out in the sea kayaks at the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore on July 2nd with my Mom...a trip long time coming and hey the south side of Lake Superior was warm so I honed my roll (6 for 6!). That night was perhaps the best thunder and lightning storm display I have ever witnessed in a tent (a guy died in northern Minnesota that night when a tree fell on a tent)...this was the heat wave which we avoided by being close to the lake.

- Getting up Mt. Athabasca and Mt. Lefroy on consecutive weekends in early July which led to 2 more 11,000ers in the Indian Summer of September and I'm hooked.

- Considered thru-hiking the Highline trail in Glacier/Waterton in mid-July but the ranger on the phone thought I was crazy and wouldn't give me a pass until I proved I could do the hike...

- I finally broke down and sold my Laser 2 sail boat after hauling it back and forth between Alberta and Lake Superior for the past 5 years. Turns out a guy in Cleveland bought it and so my Dad and I went for a road trip...a long road trip and drove the loop around Lake Erie (first time) in 36 hrs or so.

- In August, I joined a long time climbing and adventure buddy to ride in Revelstoke. We rode 2 classic trails (Frisby Ridge & Mt. Sale) in the 35C heat and then drove south to Nelson overnight and took in a hot spring in Nakusp on the way. The plan was to climb an alpine route Mt Gray in Kokanee Provincial Park but without any beta we bailed and instead got back on the bikes to ride the classic 26km Seven Summits in Rossland. Decent weekend.

- And September long weekend meant a family canoe trip on the Red Deer River through the Badlands...it was excellent except that when I went to pull the canoe up the stony embankment, I slipped and landed on my tail bone...thought I was done for and had nausea like nothing before...turned out after a week or so I recovered fine.

- September meant more scrambles as the Indian Summer continued, then Oct. 6th hit and it was winter snow waist deep. Some ice climbing in December and here we are.

The lack of ice climbing and skiing (and little scrambling) in November meant I was shopping online. I justified it by saying that I was replacing old gear and reducing as I sold off any redundant stuff. I committed to the Dynafit TLT Carbon boots to replace both bad ice climbing plastics and uncomfortable alpine touring ski boots - golden. I replaced an old avalanche air bag pack with a new one that is lighter and far better designed. I also bought some Cayenne battery heated gloves on Cyber Monday as my hands are always cold and it takes away from my pleasure. Add a brand new Kokatat GFER dry suit for $200 on Craigslist and I was done. And a month later I truly feel done for goods. I have what I need and I can clear the slate for doing rather than acquiring. I just recycled pretty much any redundant gear I have left and I'm ready for 2013.

2013 Plans (besides finishing my basement after doddling for 4 years so we can rent it and use the money for family adventure)...

- teach my daughter(s) to surf and stand-up paddleboard, and then ride down from Haleakala in Maui

- Thru-hike Highline Trail in Glacier to Waterton, Berg Lake in Mt Robson, and maybe the John Muir Trail

- Do at least one canoe or overnight family camping trip

- Ski from the Asulkan Hut in Roger's Pass, Bonnington Traverse in the Kootenays, Mt Andromeda and ponder a trip to North Twin and Twins Tower on the Columbia Icefield

- Get up more 11,000 ft peaks, maybe down to Granite Mtn and Borah Peak

- Do an easy ice climb on the Weeping Wall

- Whitewater kayak more Grade 3s and shoot a small (I mean small) waterfall in Kananaskis

- Drive to the Arctic Circle and Alaska with my Dad (a dream of his)

- Do the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open in May and maybe convince a few others to join me

- Boulder V5, and work towards the ultimate goal of climbing 5.13a, get my daughter climbing on the competitive rock climbing team at the gym

- Get up Mt Assiniboine, Sir Donald, and to the Wind River Range

- Mountain bike each of the trails that make up the Trans Rockies multi-day race, teach my daughter to ride cross country

- Take a trip rock climbing in North Carolina combined with some kite surfing at Cape Hatteras (need to get my butt out on the snow kiting before)

- turn 40 feeling fitter than I've ever felt

Edited by alxjalxj on 12/30/2012 14:19:10 MST.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
MORE says and nights on the trail on 12/31/2012 18:36:57 MST Print View

1. More winter camping

2. Tahoe Rim Trail - all of it.

3. PCT Trail backpacking on the section I helped build (from scratch) in 1980.

4. More backcountry skiing in Nevada and Colorado.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
2013 Plans on 12/31/2012 21:55:22 MST Print View

1] 2-3 short backpack trips (2-3 nights each). Buffalo Peaks Wilderness, South Fork of the Conejos River loop, Indian Peaks Wilderness are just some of the locations I am looking at.

2] Hike/Climb another 8-10 Colorado 14ers (Crestone Peak, Crestone Needle, Kit Carson, Challenger Point, Blanca Peak, Ellingwood Point, Maroon Peak, North Maroon Peak.....)

Priority is on Item 1

As I get older I find that I am not an Ultimate Hiker as Andrew Skurka puts it but prefer the style of trip where I put 8-10 miles between camps and allow some extra time to explore around the camp, have tea, enjoy my surroundings etc..

Edited by randalmartin on 12/31/2012 22:07:55 MST.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
2013 Plans on 12/31/2012 22:33:24 MST Print View

I did most of the Colorado Trail in 2011 and finished the last little bit in 2012. I don't really have the desire to do another long trail, kinda been there done that. I want to focus more getting into remote wilderness areas then simply hiking long distances.

My plans if things work out (and they might not are)

-Take my cousins backpacking on the Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas.

-Meet my family in Colorado and help with logistics and younger siblings so my parents are freed up to do a really cool backpacking trip together.

-Take my 14 year old brother Joseph hiking in Colorado

-Explore the Yellowstone backcountry with my brother Daniel.

-Do a 10 day trip with no resupplies and no road crossings in a big wilderness area. Probably a big loop through the Bob Marshall Wilderness.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: 2013 Plans on 12/31/2012 22:58:56 MST Print View

Take a real vacation with my wife this year.

Hiking related goals are...

1. Recover from recent surgery and get back into shape for...

2. GoRuck Challenge with my son in Austin, TX, May 4th.

3. Section hike a portion of the AT in VA around Sept or Oct.

Happy New Year!

Party On,

Newton

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
2013 on 01/01/2013 10:30:44 MST Print View

-- Do first winter overnight trip
-- Do a hiking trip with My Dad
-- try out tarp camping
-- take 4 and 2 year on overnight trip
-- get 4 year old up to 5 mile hikes
-- go to yosimite, hike half dome, go to disneyland
-- do more 1 night trips
-- Simplify and reduce food cost.
-- organize gear better so it is easier to get out and do trips

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Only 2 for me on 01/01/2013 16:48:47 MST Print View

#1. Wake up every day above ground.

#2. Go camping more often with my wife in the tent trailer. Last couple of years I have done a lot of day hikes, when we could have gone camping and hiked from our campsite. This wasn't fair to my wife.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
be employed on 01/01/2013 22:28:34 MST Print View

Finish nursing school, find a job, start paying down debt.

Run a marathon.

Start planning for PCT 2014!

a b
(Ice-axe)
Re: Re: 2013 Plans on 01/02/2013 00:09:10 MST Print View

Find my bliss, again.

Had it once.. then it slipped away.

Found it again.. got away under my very eyes.

Third time, held on too tight.. slipped away.

Gotta find that bliss...

Erik Dietz
(erikdtz)

Locale: Los Angeles
2013 goals on 01/02/2013 00:13:29 MST Print View

1. Get a lot stronger and compete in a power lifting meet. Lifting heavy has helped my hiking more than any LSD (long, slow distance)training.

2. Organize my gear better so I can grab and go.

3. Explore winter backpacking.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: 2013 goals on 01/02/2013 08:47:15 MST Print View

1. Finish NH 4k's 5 to go.. no problem

2. get GF back out on multi day hike.

3. work on Terrifying 25 list http://www.trishalexsage.com/p/the-terrifying-twenty-five.html#uds-search-results

4. Climb more/harder. '12 was not good since i hiked so much.

5. ride enough so i can still hang with the fast-ish Thurs night group ride

6. possibly do the northern 300mi of AT as a mini thru

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
2013 Plans on 01/02/2013 11:32:58 MST Print View

My #1 goal for 2013 is to successfully rehab my shoulder so I can get back to my active lifestyle at the level I'm used to. I tore my labrum in my left shoulder in the fall of 2012 and am trying to determine whether I can live with(in) the injury or get surgery (and then more rehab). So far, the injury places some limitations on my abilities but not nearly as bad as I initially feared. Few more months of testing the waters before I need to make a decision...

Otherwise, lots of general goals and a few specific goals:

- More winter snow camping trips. Start pushing the conditions a little more (more snow, colder temps, longer duration, etc).
- Learn to fish Tenkara (got set up with a Tenkara rod, line and some flies for Christmas).
- Start pushing more miles and more ambitious trips on my normal 1-2 night local trips.
- Experiment with some multi-modal trips (eg, bikepacking, maybe a packraft?).
- Get a few more Sierra trips in during the summer, perhaps even try to knock out a JMT thru-hike in late summer/early fall.
- If my shoulder will allow it, get back to racing in open ocean paddleboard races; maybe return to the 32-mile Molokai to Oahu and Catalina Classic Races this summer.
- Attempt to finish our local underground triathlon: 10-mile ocean paddle, 26-mile beach/trail run, 38-mile mountain bike ride.

This should be enough to keep me busy for most of 2013!

Noah Kassos
(nkassos)

Locale: Washington
2013 Plans on 01/02/2013 14:22:12 MST Print View

I didn't get out in 2012 nearly as much as I would have liked, but it was still a great year because:
1. I discovered backpacking light and knocked about 15 lbs off my base weight
2. I started dieting and running regularly and knocked 50 lbs off myself

So my goals for 2013:
1. Go on at least 4 multiday trips
2. Run a marathon
3. Get a packraft for fishing the high lakes (already replaced my old pack with a ula epic)

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
2013 plans on 01/05/2013 16:25:40 MST Print View

The first nine months of the year are filling up fast:

Jan-March: ski and ride my fatbike a bunch, I've got a half dozen multidays in Glacier lined up already, and the BPL Montana rondy at the end of March

April-June: transition to hiking and packrafting at lower elevations and skiing up in the high peaks, with the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open at the end of May

July-August: besides catching lots of trout, the main objectives are a full traverse of the continental divide in Glacier (S to N, staying with in a straight line mile the whole way) and a route in Glacier linking all the 10,000' peaks in one push

September: wilderness elk season, goal is shoot one deep in and pack it out totally human powered

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: 2013 plans on 01/05/2013 16:33:08 MST Print View

Since moving to the US a year ago I have got out backpacking with members of Bpl 5 times (out 10 trips in total) I hope I can improve on that figure in 2013.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
2013 PLANS on 01/05/2013 16:42:57 MST Print View

GGG in January-Thanks Ken

Ski with the family in Winter

5 day trip to Desolation Wilderness in late June/July

Hike the JMT in late August into September

Trinity Alps in late October/November

Win lottery an retire

Loose 20 lbs

Go to more concerts

James Reilly
(zippymorocco)

Locale: Montana
My Goals on 01/05/2013 17:50:18 MST Print View

Hike the Appalachian Trail End to End with Margo (Ann). Visit Morocco when We are done. Relocate to ???

I have been waiting for this!

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
plans on 01/05/2013 18:33:50 MST Print View

Live more
Work less

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: 2013 Plans on 01/06/2013 19:13:08 MST Print View

My plan is proactively keep looking for windows of opportunity to go for day hikes and realistically 2x overnighters this year. I've done san gorgonio a few times as a knees punisher day trip in the past, and had regrets in the past that it was mostly about mileage and beating sunset to the car. I promised myself that I would do an overnighter to enjoy the moment.

Also this year the doctor gets to invade my personal cavity. Whatever, just dont find anything worrysome.

I read that a few guys are in pain and some in recovery. I got the lamest sorriest injury. Woke up tired, i yawned open wide like an annaconda trying to swallow a watermellow, i dislocated my jaw, couldnt close it, but I'm macho and dumb, so i forced it to close and heard cartilage grind like crunchy sand in my jaw hinge. Hey i said it was a dumb thing to do.

Also gonna try to get back into mountain biking.

George Davis
(nsiderbam) - F

Locale: mid-Atlantic
Re: Re: 2013 Plans on 01/07/2013 08:32:00 MST Print View

That sounds painful Roger.

I'm gonna try to get out more weekends this year, especially when it warms up a bit. Also planning on doing the CT this summer (or JMT if that falls through). Super excited for it all.

Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Locale: Idaho
2013 on 01/07/2013 17:22:05 MST Print View

I really plan on getting back out more this year. I spent last season really tied up with an organic pastured poultry farm, and my time was spent chasing chickens instead of trails.
This year we already have a week planned in the Winds, and my wife and son are both excited to get out as much as possible. I want to explore more off trail gems in the Sawtooths, and I want to hook up with some other BPL'ers who might find themselves in Idaho

Kyle Meyer
(kylemeyer) - M

Locale: Portland, OR
2013 on 01/08/2013 11:52:53 MST Print View

My wife and I are hiking the John Muir Trail starting July 8th. I am so incredibly excited.

We're doing this as a final "we're financially and morally free!" before we start trying for a baby toward the end of the year.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
2013 plans on 01/12/2013 09:17:13 MST Print View

Unfortunately the entire summer is going to be eaten up by yet another vacation in sunny Afghanistan. Hiking opportunities abound there, but they aren't exactly relaxing.

Sigh.

BUT I do have a 6-day permit for the Grand Canyon in March. That's what I'm living for now.

Then for my "pre-deployment" leave I'm taking the family on a Disney cruise, and we'll also stop and visit my parents in Florida.

No plans beyond that. I need good ideas for October-ish...

Edited by acrosome on 01/12/2013 09:33:40 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: 2013 plans on 01/12/2013 18:06:54 MST Print View

"No plans beyond that. I need good ideas for October-ish..."

2 good candidates for mitigating an Afghan hangover would be a trip into the southern Sierra, say the Upper Kern Basin, or a trip thru the Enchantments in the Central Cascades after October 15, when the permit reuired season ends. Either would go a long way toward cleaning out some of what is likely to be mucking up your psyche by then.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: 2013 PLANS on 01/12/2013 18:25:51 MST Print View

I want to hike the full length of the big sur river some time in summer. Lot's of canyons to swim through and beautiful little areas.

I want to hike up to the window again in spring.

I plan on doing the JMT using old technology, like canvas and wool. No synthetics. That has been a goal of mine for a while. This would be sometime in July. Getting the gear together for that should be really fun.

Harrison Carpenter
(carpenh) - M

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley
2013 on 01/13/2013 08:02:50 MST Print View

A new part of my plans: purchase no new gear unless old gear breaks down to the point of failure. #gulp

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
2013 Shenaningans on 01/13/2013 08:19:00 MST Print View

I plan on climbing Mt. St. Helens in June/July weather permitting. I am shooting for a July climb of Mt. Adams followed by an August through hike of the Wonderland Trail. I would like to take a couple low level courses like crevasse rescue if I can fit it in as I hope to ascend Rainier in the next couple of years.

Currently making plans to bike the John Wayne Trail with a friend this summer. Picked up a 29er this year and can't wait to take it on a smallish tour.

I'm going pick up a couple Tenkara rods. I will finally commit to a drift boat safety class ala Reds Fly Shop so I can lease their boats on the Yakima. Maybe I will try my hand at spey casting as well but that's looking more like a 2014 event.

Start the SAR academy next month. I've always used MGRS and terrain association so I'm looking forward to my transition to UTM and a return to volunteer work following a 10 year hiatus.

2013 will be expensive. My big three are going to be replaced by a ULA Ohm 2.0 or Circuit, Zpacks 20* sleeping bag, and shelter TBD (but leaning towards the Duo Mid or Speed Mid.) Hope to have these by May and will spend the rest of the summer saving for my Alpaca packraft or a pair of Hoks and a MYOG pulk sled.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: 2013 PLANS on 01/13/2013 08:36:42 MST Print View

"I plan on doing the JMT using old technology, like canvas and wool. No synthetics. That has been a goal of mine for a while. This would be sometime in July. Getting the gear together for that should be really fun."

@ Justin

Killer plan.

Nick Gatel would be able to shed some light on the area, PM him or check one of his recent trip reports for some inspiration. I don't think he went completely non synthetic, but he did go "old school".

http://popupbackpacker.com/backpacking/trip-reports/a-nostalgic-hike-with-chuckawalla-bill/

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Locale: Scandinavia
This stuff's made in New York City! on 01/13/2013 16:18:11 MST Print View

Get a rope.

1. Finish hiking Bohusleden (April).
2. Finish writing companion guide to Bohusleden (May).
3. Hike one third of Kungsleden (August).
4. Start writing companion guide to Kungsleden (September).
5. Spend a total of at least 24 nights in the wild. My goal last year was 20 nights, and I was able to do 21 :).
6. Go barefoot trail running at least once a week once my gym membership expires (March).
7. See aurora borealis for the first time.

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
2013 Plan on 01/13/2013 20:13:14 MST Print View

1. My daughter will be two in June. She is hiking with us now, on my back and on her feet. Both my wife and I are looking forward to her first overnight backpacking trips this summer, short jaunts for sure and some more car camping.

2. Finishing the JMT and doing a section of the Sierra High Route.

3. A trip to the Smokies in the Fall.

4. Lots of plein air painting on all my trips.