Sporks SUCK!!!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Repurposing sporks on 02/23/2013 11:56:39 MST Print View

Like many, I bought a spork early in my backpacking career thinking I needed one. While it wasn't the best trail utensil, it has become my designated travel cutlery. I keep it in my everyday backpack, use it at work, etc. it's better than a spoon for handling steak.

@jason- sporking is a code word my wife and I have used for years. Can't remember how it started anymore.

Nelson Sherry
(nsherry61)

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley
Re: Sporks SUCK!!! on 02/23/2013 15:54:27 MST Print View

For me it's simple. If I'm not planning on eating pasta, a spoon is the most pleasant utensil to use. If I'm planning on pasta, the spork is a bit easier to use and a fun change. On longer trips with lots of food variety, eh, whichever, I don't really care.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Sporking on 02/23/2013 17:23:26 MST Print View

I have that problem in the mornings sometimes.

Harrison Carpenter
(carpenh) - M

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley
Re: Sporking on 02/23/2013 17:44:41 MST Print View

I've been a longstanding believer in the spork. Beans, rice, quinoa, oats, pasta... name it, and I'd give you reasons for eating it with a spork.

I'm thinking this might have to change, now that I've eliminated pasta, legumes, and grains from my diet. I rely on freezer-bag cooking, and without such means of absorbing excess moisture, I think I'll be slurping down more sauce and broth with my meals. A spoon might be all I need now (provided I cut the jerky small enough).

Best of all, if I can commandeer a sundae spoon from the local Dairy Queen, I'll be able to cut a few grams at no cost to me... :-)