Display Avatars Sort By:
Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle) - F
Downmat UL vs Synmat UL on 12/26/2012 10:46:43 MST Print View

Downmat UL - 5.9 R value
Small, 64x20, 16.7oz

Synmat UL - 3.1 R value
Small, 64x20, 15.2oz

Seems to me to be a no brainer. 2.8 R value for 1.5 oz.
Is there something I'm failing to consider? How do their packed sizes compare?
Why would I choose the Synmat over the Downmat? Moisture gets trapped in the down?

Has anyone had experience with the Downmat UL XS (47x20) and a CCF piece beneath your feet?

Edited by travis.bickle on 12/26/2012 10:49:18 MST.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Downmat UL vs Synmat UL on 12/26/2012 11:05:29 MST Print View

If you use the Schnozzel then there is really zero advantage to the Synmat other than weight in which case the huge improvement in R value makes the Downmat a no brainer IMO. The Schnozzel prevents moisture from corrupting the Down over time (despite it's treatment).

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

Locale: Rocky Mtn. West
thanks for the post on 12/26/2012 11:07:57 MST Print View

I didn't realized the two were so close in weight. I bought a Synmat earlier this year, and now I want a downmat for winter camping.

Maybe I should sell my synmat!

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle) - F
Re: on 12/26/2012 11:10:46 MST Print View

I was wondering if it'd be possible to modify the schnozzel bag by cutting it in half and making a new roll top closure. It would be a size more suited to serving as just a sleeping bag drybag and be roughly half the weight.

I also considered the pillow pump, but it's just SO heavy. :P

Marty Cochran
(mcochran77) - F - M

Locale: Southern Oregon
Weight Typo on 12/26/2012 11:36:31 MST Print View

I think you have a typo.
The Exped site says the Downmat UL Small is 18.7oz, not 16.7oz.
Still at 18.7oz the Downmat is a no-brainer for fall, winter and spring camping.

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle) - F
Re: on 12/26/2012 11:39:02 MST Print View

http://www.backcountry.com/exped-downmat-7-sleeping-pad

this is where I got the 16.7oz weight.

"[XS] 14.8 oz, [S] 1 lb 0.7 oz, [M] 1 lb 4.5 oz, [LW] 1 lb 10.5 oz"

Andy F
(AndyF) - M
Re: Downmat UL vs Synmat UL on 12/26/2012 11:41:31 MST Print View

I have a Synmat UL for 3 season use, but I prefer the thicker and more durable non-UL Downmat for winter because it's usually the only insulation underneath me. Below 0F at night, I add a CCF pad too, both for extra warmth and insurance against a failed inflatable.

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle) - F
Re: on 12/26/2012 11:48:57 MST Print View

I'm planning to cut a piece of GG 1/8" pad to the length of the Downmat UL.

I'm thinking about using some velcro tape to keep the pad under the Downmat to protect it from the ground.

The 1/8" pad gives my pack a bit of structure, so its purpose is "dual use" - giving my pad more durability as well.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Re: on 12/26/2012 12:03:28 MST Print View

The Snozzle might be able to double as a pack liner. Its about the right size.

BTW: I got a Medium Downmat UL7 for Christmas and will be trying it out this weekend. It is 19.75oz for the mat and 2.10 for the Snozzle. Two inflations of the snozzle blow the mat up fwiw.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Schnozzle dry bag on 12/26/2012 13:30:17 MST Print View

I use the Schnozzle as a stuff sack / dry bag for my sleeping bag and down sweater. Works fine.

Alex Eriksson
(aeriksson) - M

Locale: Austin, TX
Schnozzle pump bag +1 on 12/26/2012 13:37:54 MST Print View

The pump bag is a must. I just used the SynMat UL and pumpbag combo over the Christmas weekend backpacking in west Texas where it got down to about freezing one night. I definitely can say the pad is pretty warm. But yeah the down mat would obviously be better (now if only I could find a long-wide downmat UL used for the same deal as my synmat UL). But the pumpbag inflates the mat to firm in two bags worth of air. I top it off with 2 breaths just to get it firmer for my heavy @ss (I figure the moisture from two breaths isn't that bad).

As far as stuff sacks go the Schnozzle is nice. I actually only put a few bit of clothing into it and just roll roll roll, squeeze out the extra air until it's all vacuum sealed, and close the schnozzle. It'll stay reasonably well vacuumed for about 36 hours and makes wedging clothes into crannies in my pack very easy while guaranteeing they'll stay dry if I take a dunking or get rained on.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Downmat UL vs Synmat UL on 12/28/2012 11:45:41 MST Print View

I have both in regular if you have any specific questions.