Forum Index » User Test Forum » Teneriffe

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Teneriffe on 12/25/2012 17:24:17 MST Print View

The perfect antidote for a wet, cold, crummy day in Seattle.

Teneriffe is a close in mountain, about 32 miles east of Seattle just off I-90. It is considered a year around kick butt workout by those in the know. It is an especially good workout after a fresh dump of ~2 feet of snow on top of who knows how much underneath. The route is ~8 miles and ~4000' of elevation gain, ~3600' of which you grind out in ~2 miles getting up on the SW ridge and then running it up to the summit. One of my all time favorites, with great views from the summit and points in between. The Ouzel gives it 5 stars.

teneriffe-1

teneriffe-2

teneriffe-3

teneriffe-4

teneriffe-5

teneriffe-7

teneriffe-8

teneriffe-9

teneriffe-11

teneriffe-12

teneriffe-13

teneriffe-14

Edited by ouzel on 12/25/2012 17:43:24 MST.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Teneriffe on 01/01/2013 18:59:02 MST Print View

Thanks for the memories. I led a summer Mountaineer trip up there over 40 years ago. I recall a woman on the trip, Faye Olgivey(sp?) who was 70 at the time.

I think this peak was the last one she needed to get something like a 10 peak pin. She had climbed the first of the 10 peaks 40-50 years prior to the 1970 hike/climb.

She had no problem keeping up with the group and was faster than her daughter in law who was also on the trip.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Teneriffe on 01/02/2013 18:12:09 MST Print View

"She had no problem keeping up with the group and was faster than her daughter in law who was also on the trip."

Doesn't surprise me at all. There are some pretty tough old folks of both genders floating around up here. Cascade tough.

"Thanks for the memories. I led a summer Mountaineer trip up there over 40 years ago."

You should give it another go. It's still a great hike. From about 400' vertical below the actual ridge, everything is pretty much the same as it has always been. Below that, up to about the midpoint of Kamikaze Falls, the nanny state crowd over at DNR has constructed a nice, safe trail so we won't hurt ourselves. Just hold your nose until you get above it and then settle into the grind. Up until this hike, I hadn't been on it since May, 2009, due to paranoia about my quad tendon. It was a real trip down memory lane. :)