Forum Index » Gear Swap » MERRY CHRISTMAS

Display Avatars Sort By:
Martin Van Laarhoven
(vtrek)

Locale: NorthEast
MERRY CHRISTMAS on 12/25/2012 05:35:47 MST Print View

Take a moment today to be thankful for the true meaning of Christmas. MERRY CHRISTMAS!
vtrek

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: MERRY CHRISTMAS on 12/25/2012 06:00:13 MST Print View

Merry Christmas to you too Martin! My youngest litle girl just woke up the others. Good stuff.

Todd

Misfit Mystic
(cooldrip)

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"
Merry Christmas!!! on 12/25/2012 06:00:56 MST Print View

And Merry Christmas to you Martin! May peace reign today!

Frederick Steven Maxfield
(fredmax56) - M

Locale: New England
Merry Christmas on 12/25/2012 06:05:08 MST Print View

Merry Christmas to one and all-Fred

Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com
Merry Christmas ! on 12/25/2012 07:17:39 MST Print View

All I asked for was for it to snow this Christmas - and snow it did! Hope everyone enjoys this glorious day!

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: MERRY CHRISTMAS on 12/25/2012 08:49:02 MST Print View

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas!

Chris Calpin
(Adrnlnjnke)

Locale: N.E.
Merry Christmas on 12/25/2012 10:14:55 MST Print View

Merry Christmas to All. Have a safe and happy holiday.

Chris

taras maystruk
(slackpacker) - F

Locale: Piedmont NC
Merry Christmas! on 12/25/2012 10:23:52 MST Print View

Merry Christmas everyone! God bless and don't forget to reflect on the most beautiful gift given this day!

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: MERRY CHRISTMAS on 12/25/2012 10:43:36 MST Print View

Martin,

Thank you so much for starting this thread!

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Party On,

Newton

Harald Hope
(hhope)

Locale: East Bay
God Jul (Merry Yuletide) on 12/25/2012 13:41:26 MST Print View

Take a moment today to be thankful for the true meaning of Christmas.

Hear hear, thanks for the reminder to remember the true meaning of the harvest / solstice celebration of Scandinavia/Scotland, etc. And I'm sure many other regions far enough North to make such a time of the year make sense.

"Jul" or "Jol" is derived from Norse "Jòlnir" or "Ýlir", which ar alternate names of Odin. It was the second moon (from new moon to new moon) of the winter half of the year - roughly from the new moon of November to the new moon of December. At this time, the animals for slaughter were the fattest, flour had been processed, all the work of autumn was completed, and it was time to celebrate.

The time of celebration has varied, though written sources, such as the legislation of Gulating, it was mandatory for farmers to have a beer drinking party with at least three farmers attending. If a farmer was so far away from his neighbours that this was difficult, he still had to brew as much beer as if he had been taking part of such a party. The beer should be ready by November 1st.
wikipdedia, origins of Jul

It's a bit hard for our modern culture to get the notion of harvest / end of producing year celebrations, but I wholeheartedly agree that it's a great idea to be thankful for the true meaning of this time of year, another year has passed, and if we still have time to post in backpacking forums about arcana of light gear and techniques, I'd say that's a good sign that our modern day harvest of work worked out for yet another year, something that, speaking for myself, never ceases to absolutely amaze me.

Now to prepare the traditional jul rice porridge offering to make sure the household spirits continue to cooperate with my endeavors (Nisser, in Norwegian, a term I've never really found a good translation for). Jule Nisse is what we made our Santa Claus out of, while some researchers now believe those flying reindeer might have been more real than we think.

So raise a glass to another year's harvest brought in, the animals fattened, the stores filled with wheat and other grains, and the brew brewing as required by traditions existing long before our most distant relatives were yet twinkles in their parents eyes.

Edited by hhope on 12/25/2012 13:43:31 MST.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
indeed on 12/25/2012 16:03:55 MST Print View

MERRY CHRISTMAS! Finally got a Melanzana Micro Grid hoodie...... spending time with my family was nice too. ;-)

Kevin Manley
(manleyk) - F - MLife

Locale: Denver-ish
Good tidings! on 12/25/2012 23:34:08 MST Print View

Merry Christmas all! And thanks for all the help, encouragement, and fun reading. May your packs be light, your trails long, and your discoveries amazing!

Kevin

Matthew Hoskin
(mattgugel)

Locale: Kanangra-Boyd NP
Merry xmas on 12/26/2012 03:32:31 MST Print View

Merry Xmas from Down Under.
Going to spend the next 10 days in our "mountains" - in Kosciuszko NP. Can't wait, just got a new Tarptent Stratospire 2 to use!
Hope everyone has a safe Xmas and New Year.

Daniel Fleagle
(DGFleagle) - F

Locale: Pennsylvania Ridge and Valley
Merry Christmas on 12/27/2012 19:15:45 MST Print View

Merry Christmas to the BPL community. Many of you have outfitted me, and even more have inspired me.

DGF