Forum Index » GEAR » How goes your going pot gripperless?

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Bail wire on 12/25/2012 10:46:13 MST Print View

Thank you Colin for correcting my error.

I do appreciate it. I'll correct my post right after the nap that follows Christmas dinner. LOL

Party On,

Newton

Tony Ronco
(tr-browsing) - MLife
Alternative to a Bandana Pot Gripper : Thermal Thimbles on 12/29/2012 19:52:58 MST Print View

+1 for the Bandana if you're already carrying one.

If not, then an alternative which is much lighter & works well are Dritz Thermal Thimbles.

They come in a three pack - the two biggest sizes work great on your thumb & index finger (I ditch the smallest one). It allows you use your thumb and index finger to comfortably reach around & lift your hot cup/pot. They also allow you to grip a hot handle (but pots with handles aren't part of this thread)
They are made of heat resistant silicone, which is easy to clean (if needed) and dry in a flash.

I hand sew some very light gauge spectra thread between those two thimbles to tether them "together". The whole "system" weights a very light 0.16 oz on my scale. You can get them cheap for $4 if you deal shop or $6 if you pay MSRP.

Dritz Thermal Thimbles

Edited by tr-browsing on 12/30/2012 17:04:50 MST.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Thermal Thimbles on 12/29/2012 20:01:00 MST Print View

Cool Idea ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
My Method on 12/29/2012 20:02:21 MST Print View

I developed severe carpal issues in both hands in the final months of my last pregnancy. I still have issues 10 months out. To the point I can't grip things tightly.
So...I bought one of these on a fluke. It works. I paid $10-11 for it or so, on sale.
http://www2.dupont.com/Kevlar_Gloves/en_US/products/ove_glove.html

Anyhow, I can actually grip hot items with my useless claws when I am having issues. And I have flexibility. If you have carpal or arthritis in the hands, consider this. It isn't the lightest, but it WORKS.

Alex Eriksson
(aeriksson) - M

Locale: Austin, TX
I use... on 12/29/2012 20:21:25 MST Print View

The classic Mechanix Wear mechanics gloves are prefect for me. Reasonably heat resistant and generally versatile for all sorts of situations on the trail. I tend to find myself desert camping exclusively right now where it's never a bad idea to have some hand protection especially if going a bit off trail.

Years of mountain biking taught me that any sort of random small fall can lead to cuts and gashes on my hands that can easily ruin my day. So when it comes time to extract my hot Ti pot from my caldera cone on goes my right-hand glove and, depending on how hot the handle is, I may grip the handles on my pot directly or use the left glove as an additional layer like a potholder. When I'm done I've attached two tiny gutted paracord loops to the gloves and they clip to a small s-biner clipped to a belt loop or my pack's waist belt.

Definitely worth the whopping $18 I paid for them at Target or maybe it was Autozone.

Edited by aeriksson on 12/29/2012 20:22:01 MST.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
GSI pot gripper on 12/30/2012 12:07:53 MST Print View

I use this gripper made by GSI. Don't remember the weight, but I cut over the magnet and popped it out, so that made it even lighter.gripper

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: GSI pot gripper on 12/30/2012 12:14:39 MST Print View

Too hard to use GSI gripper on pot without handles? You'd have to grip at the lip which would not be fun to me.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Hot pot management on 12/30/2012 14:27:17 MST Print View

My preference is a pot with folding handles and a bandana.

If I'm using a pot without handles, a generic pot grabber like the Open Country works well. In fact it is a little light than the MSR version that is full of lightening holes. I've never been able to justify the cost of something like the Vargo Ti model or the MSR 1oz model.

The bottom line is that I want good secure control of a pot of boiling water. It is usually being poured into a dinner bag or smaller container and is rather bypass getting scalded hands or feet far from home

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Alternative to a Bandana Pot Gripper : Thermal Thimbles on 12/31/2012 08:51:08 MST Print View

Thanks Tony and others for their responses, I'll check out the above mentioned items. All I need is to be able to control my Trangia non-stick lid enough to flip a pancake and remove it when finished from my stove. I'm not SUL yet, working on UL, so for now I'm fine with the wire handles that are stock on my ti pots. I know it is a broad mind set to get to SUL.
Hi Sarbar.
Duane