November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
New 2.8 liter water bags at Goodwill $1.79
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
New 2.8 liter water bags at Goodwill $1.79 on 12/23/2012 16:42:26 MST Print View

I was in a local (Seattle area) Goodwill and found new 2.8 liter water bladders for $1.79 each. They are new stock that Goodwill has brought in, not a donation. UPC 846014005064

Weight is 1.2 ounces with the cap. Looks just like a Platypus. And it mates perfectly with my Sawyer Squeeze water filter. This would be prefect for a gravity setup with the Sawyer. A paper punch will make good holes in the bottom edge for hanging. Should make a decent pillow bladder too.

Water bladder

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
dale does it again on 12/23/2012 18:05:57 MST Print View

happy holidays!

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
Nice find on 12/23/2012 20:14:34 MST Print View

Did they have smaller (e.g. 1L) sizes? Regardless, good find.

Edited by FeetFirst on 12/23/2012 20:15:05 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Nice find on 12/23/2012 20:49:02 MST Print View

If I saw others, I would have bought a batch and bragged on that too :)

All said and done, you don't have to completely fill a larger container and at 1.2oz, it hardly tips the scale over. This size would be great for Scouts, families and other small groups. I was delighted to find that they fit my Sawyer filter.

Edward Jursek

New 2.8L bottles on 12/27/2012 13:44:50 MST Print View

Thanks, Dale! As a Seattle resident and frequent Goodwill shopper I just bought 4 of these. I use a Sawyer in-line set-up with a Platy bag but will be trying the Sawyer Squeeze next, so this may be a good solution for the always-out-of-stock Evernew bags. I think the only question now is how durable are these cheap Goodwill bags? They certainly seem stout enough for a gravity system. Let us know how they fair as squeeze bags if you test them out.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: New 2.8L bottles on 12/27/2012 14:14:01 MST Print View

I did try squeezing one with the Sawyer and it felt okay, but it is $1.79! It is big enough that rolling seems to be the way to go as it gets low. Perfect for gravity systems

Hoot Filsinger
(filsinger) - MLife

Re: New 2.8 liter water bags at Goodwill $1.79 on 12/27/2012 14:30:04 MST Print View

Found on eBay for $3.35 each.

George Maung
(georgemaung) - F

Locale: BayArea
5 liter on 12/28/2012 02:18:47 MST Print View

Great deal.

Has anybody used the 5 liter water bags. I think it might make a bigger pillow. Thanks.

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - MLife

Locale: The SouthWest
Re: 5 liter on 01/07/2013 18:58:39 MST Print View

Good find, Dale. I got some of the 2.8L ones from Ebay. They seem to work fine with my Sawyer filter too. Down side is I measured their volume to only be about 2 - 2.25L

I also got one of the 5L bladders linked to above. It is just like a giant Platypus and also seems to work with my Sawyer filter. I didn't weigh it and now it's all wet, but its volume is right at 5L.