"Tom- Like most people I am interested in hearing the truth or what different factions see as the truth. The point I was trying to make is that we don't get much in the way of real news out of the media mostly just trivial distractions of one sort on another. Feels a lot like propaganda to me."
David - Your perceptions are quite accurate. The media is very much one sided in their presentations, in no small part due to the highly influential Israel lobby. They can make life pretty miserable for any politician, academician, or business that does not hew to the pro Israel line. Since there is no countervailing Palestinian lobby of any significance, the decision is easy. Ben explains the prevailing situation here in America very well, IMO. I will take you at your word when you say you are interested in hearing the truth, but you are going to have to do a little reading to ground yourself in the history and politics of Palestine, Palestinians, and Jews. Once you have a basic understanding of how things came to this sad state of affairs, you will be in a better position to sort the wheat from the chaff in media reporting of current events. To that end, here is my recommended short list:
1) A History of Modern Palestine: One Land, Two Peoples by Ilan Pappe, a noted Israeli historian;
2) Power, Faith, and Fantasy: America in The Middle East from 1776 to the Present by Michael Oren, another noted Israeli historian and currently Israeli ambassador to the US;
3) Transforming the Israeli Lobby by Daniel Fleshler, an American media and public affairs specialist and proponent of a more balanced US policy toward the Palestinian problem;
4) The Israeli Lobby and US Foreign Policy by John Mearsheimer and Steven Walt, two eminent US academicians occupying endowed chairs at the University of Chicago and the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard, respectively. This is a controversial book that cost them dearly to author and publish, but it gives a pretty accurate analysis of just how powerful the Israeli lobby is in this country.
5) If you want to dig a little deeper and understand the roots of Palestinina rage and their apparently irrational, brutal behavior, order and read: The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine by the above cited Ilan Pappe. This is not an easy read, and it has made Pappe extremely unpopular in both Israel and among pro Zionist Jews everywhere. Nevertheless, it will give you insight into an atrocity that has been very effectively concealed from the public for 65 years now. You are unlikely to find this book in any library, so Amazon is your best bet.
I hope this will help you to gain a better understanding of things over there, and I commend you for being interested in the first place and realizing that you are being fed a steady diet of unadulterated BS by the media. Would that more of your fellow citizens were as interested because, if they were, this problem would have been resolved long ago.
Edited for content and punctuation.