Forum Index » Chaff » Newtown -- Who Here Changed His (or Her) Mind?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: We don't need or want the French on 01/22/2013 19:38:04 MST Print View

"I will need a few volunteers to help. Anyone interested."

I'm in!

Ben Smith
(bsmith_90) - F - M

Locale: Epping Forest
Yeah but on 01/22/2013 19:39:26 MST Print View

I'm still not convinced that any civilian needs a gun.

If you want to defend your town from a tyrannical invader, try playing Homefront. The North Koreans invade!

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: We don't need or want the French on 01/22/2013 19:46:55 MST Print View

I would be keen to help, as long as you don't call them "French fries".

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re Re We don't need the French on 01/22/2013 19:49:33 MST Print View

Anyone with a long memory find the current situation ironic? France just went to war rather then America. And I'm hearing American commentators asking "Is that really a good idea." Talk about role reversal.

By the way I'm liking the Federalist idea of devolving as much power as possible to the states. If California wants gun control have fun. If Texas wants guns for all fine. We'll see which one works better.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: Yeah but on 01/22/2013 20:03:57 MST Print View

"I'm still not convinced that any civilian needs a gun. "

So your are more comfortable with criminals, law enforcement and military being the only ones with guns? I'm personally not worried about law enforcement or military with guns. However I like my odds against a criminal when we both have handguns or at least he thinks I might have a gun. If he is the only one that brings a gun to the fight my odds are pretty slim.

Brad

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Maybe You'all should ask California to sucede on 01/22/2013 20:18:20 MST Print View

The California State Teachers’ Retirement System calSTRS is the 2nd largest pension fund in the US. They hold stock of several arms companies including the one that manufactured the gun and ammo used at Newtown.

calSTRS

Also, California has:
34% of the welfare recipients in the entire US but only...
12% of entire population.

The Great Welfare State of California

But hey, its for the common good, right?

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: We don't need or want the French on 01/22/2013 20:22:04 MST Print View

"I think I will start a Kickstarter to develop a video series about how to dip french fries in different condiments"

Where you been the last 10 years, Brad? They're FREEDOM FRIES!!!!!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Education on 01/22/2013 20:25:53 MST Print View

Agreed. It just fun to bat ideas around every once in a while, and occasionally twist someone's tail. ;0] And, believe it or not, occasionally I do change my mind.
But not about this particular subject.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: Re: Re: We don't need or want the French on 01/22/2013 20:38:56 MST Print View

Ok. Lynn and Tom are in charge of marketing and branding.

Brad

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Maybe You'all should ask California to sucede on 01/22/2013 20:52:25 MST Print View

"Maybe You'all should ask California to sucede"

Nick, do you mean succeed, or secede?

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re on 01/22/2013 20:53:17 MST Print View

What about the fascination that the country has with mass murderers, serial killers and any crime inflicted upon children? The media feeds us what we want and clearly we cannot get enough of it. We are horrified and yet we end glorifying the criminals.
That to me is something to be looked at.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re Maybe Ya'll should ask California to Secede on 01/22/2013 21:08:44 MST Print View

I think Texas should make the following demand "Either force California to Secede or we will secede ourselves and take our booming economy, oil and natural gas with us."

The way I see it Texas would be in a win-win situation. Either they get rid of California and its liberal votes and Senators, or Texas gets to do its own thing with no more Washington meddling.

This would create some fascinating dilemmas in DC.

Obama - Lose Texas and all its NRA/Republican votes = good. Lose Texas economy = bad
Lose California votes = bad. Keep CA economy = bad.

Republicans - Lose Texas NRA/Republican votes=bad. Lose Texas economy = bad. Lose Califoria votes = good. Keep CA economy = bad.

Could we have a "fantasy politics" sort of like fantasy football and see what would happen?

Actually come to think of it the only ones who benefit from keeping CA are democrats. So as compromise we make CA independent but allow Californians to keep voting but votes are only counted as half a vote.

Anyway its been fun but I gotta go to bed.

Edit - Nothing above is meant to be taken seriously.

Edited by Cameron on 01/22/2013 21:14:01 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Maybe You'all should ask California to sucede on 01/22/2013 21:08:48 MST Print View

Bob,

You are correct. It should be secede. However the sales associates at my local super market pronounce it sucede. I'll leave it as it is. I like the sales associates.

:)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re on 01/22/2013 21:17:05 MST Print View

"What about the fascination that the country has with mass murderers, serial killers and any crime inflicted upon children? The media feeds us what we want and clearly we cannot get enough of it. We are horrified and yet we end glorifying the criminals.
That to me is something to be looked at."

Kat,

If the media feeds us what we want, then it is "who designed Michelle's gown?"

R K
(oiboyroi) - M

Locale: South West US
Re: Re Re Maybe Ya'll should ask California to Secede on 01/22/2013 21:31:38 MST Print View

California is expects to have a surplus this year. Of course, economically speaking, a surplus is not really a good thing.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Maybe You'all should ask California to sucede on 01/22/2013 22:06:55 MST Print View

"However the sales associates at my local super market pronounce it sucede."

Nick, at least yours apparently speak English.

--B.G.--

Ben Smith
(bsmith_90) - F - M

Locale: Epping Forest
Re: Yeah but on 01/22/2013 22:50:36 MST Print View

Brad I'm a lover not a fighter!

That's a catch 22. If there aren't many guns in the country the chances of ever seeing one are pretty damn slim. I guess I just don't see the sense in fighting fire with fire. Or in your argument carrying fire just in case there's a fire. I just confused myself ;D

If you need any input from the UK on dipping fries into condiments I'm more than happy to help. We have some very weird "dips" here that might fit nicely into your piece. How much backing are we looking for? Something extortionate I hope :D

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Maybe You'all should ask California to sucede on 01/22/2013 22:59:06 MST Print View

"Nick, at least yours apparently speak English."

At the super market, yes. At Walmart, no. I don't go to Walmart any more.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maybe You'all should ask California to sucede on 01/22/2013 23:08:19 MST Print View

"I don't go to Walmart any more."

What? They don't stock your brand of ammo anymore?

--B.G.--

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Yeah but on 01/22/2013 23:11:00 MST Print View

"If you need any input from the UK on dipping fries into condiments I'm more than happy to help."

I don't know. If Brad asks you to show up with a bonnet and boot, he means he wants to go hiking. You are going to show up in a Morris Minor. We are separated by a common language.

:-)