Forum Index » Chaff » Newtown -- Who Here Changed His (or Her) Mind?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn)

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: "Newtown -- Who Here Changed His (or Her) Mind?" on 01/27/2013 06:56:51 MST Print View

"Bob: true, but nobody's talking about outlawing guns in the same way that the 18th amendment outlawed all alcohol. My point is that gun regulations are not about outlawing guns, they're about reasonable restrictions on guns, just as drunk driving laws are about reasonable restrictions concerning what you can do when you drink."

Jeffrey,

I realize that the vast majority are not talking about taking away all guns. Some are, but nothing that I worry about yet. However my response was to some aboard who think we are crazy for even allowing guns at all and it makes us lesser of a society.

Eric Johnson
(unimog) - MLife

Locale: Utah
NRA influence on enforcement on 01/30/2013 14:31:26 MST Print View

"The NRA has pushed through laws that make it impossible to enforce gun laws"

I keep hearing this bantered about about every ten posts by some folks here. Does anyone have any actual evidence of this?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: NRA influence on enforcement on 01/30/2013 16:15:24 MST Print View

"Does anyone have any actual evidence of this?"

Somebody posted a link to a story about Jon Stewart. I didn't look at it closely. A comedian might not be the best source of news info. But, sometimes he and Colbert say things that no one else does.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: NRA influence on enforcement on 01/30/2013 17:47:04 MST Print View

""Does anyone have any actual evidence of this?"

Somebody posted a link to a story about Jon Stewart. I didn't look at it closely. A comedian might not be the best source of news info. But, sometimes he and Colbert say things that no one else does."

I did. And I don't know that I'd characterize Stewart as a comedian. Unlike Faux News, he doesn't generally make stuff up, he just informs his audience about various subjects in an often humorous way. I remember when Bush2 was running for reelection, someone (sorry, don't remember who) did a survey to see how correctly informed people were - pitting those who watched Faux News with those who watched Stewart's Daily Show. The folks who watched Stewart were much more correctly informed than those watching Faux.

Anyway, the Stewart piece on gun legislation is pretty enlightening. It should be easy enough to verify his 'facts.'

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: NRA influence on enforcement on 01/30/2013 18:36:15 MST Print View

Jon Stewart and Colbert, you might have noticed, are on the Comedy Network, so I think I could call them comedians : )

Sad that the comedians are better sources than a supposed news network.

I totally agree with you they're pretty good sources of news.

Actually, just because somebody is a comedian doesn't mean they don't say truthful, enlightening stuff. You just get a belly laugh in the process, which is very healthful.