Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Amount of sparks with 'sealed' hot tent stoves?
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
wood stove calculus on 12/21/2012 15:43:55 MST Print View

While more down in a bag would strictly speaking be warmer, that doesn't account for accumulated moisture in said bag, or in damp and wet clothes. Warmth is not so straightforward.

I find that getting a good, constant burn with my little stove is much easier with at least a fixed blade knife for splitting. A small saw or hatchet is very handy, but not mandatory. Slightly larger stoves are likely less finicky.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Amount of sparks with 'sealed' hot tent stoves? on 12/21/2012 16:15:41 MST Print View

I use a Mora knife (cheap,light, works..) and have played with a few saws , made my own too, but I would look at the one that QiWiz makes or the Bahco Laplander for this type of stove.
Agree with David C about having your stuff dry.
Another point is that it is nice to have a hot drink every couple of hours max , so not having to worry about fuel usage makes that a lot easier to do.
Still I would also take at least a canister stove as a backup

Edited by Franco on 12/21/2012 17:38:08 MST.

leon lynes
(mrgadget921) - F

Locale: south west
Re: Re: re on 12/21/2012 22:11:30 MST Print View

burtonator

is wood fire inside of stove and tent approved? if so .... must the stove be certified?
just asking... hate the legal sound of this but much prefer it over the citations...

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Tools on 12/23/2012 13:41:54 MST Print View

My plan is to use a 6" folding saw (~3oz) plus usually a ~5" fixed blade to split the wood.