Sugru for a pot handle
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Sugru for a pot handle on 12/18/2012 10:38:48 MST Print View

The last time I used my wood burning stove I wasn't paying attention to where my pot handles were in relation to the "feeder hole" in my stove and the silicone tubing on the handles of my Evernew Ti 1.0L Pasta pot caught fire and burned off.

I'd like to replace the silicone. Has anybody used sugru before?

Before it starts, I know there are lots of alternatives to using a pot handle or ways to deal with a pot handle that gets hot, but I really liked just being able to pick up my pot with my bare hand when the water boiled. It's worth a couple of grams to me.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: Sugru for a pot handle on 12/18/2012 10:44:29 MST Print View

Sugru will work fine for that purpose, as will silicone tape. I use the latter on my pots, and while it gets a bit stiff from the heat, seems to be holding up well after a couple of years. Also the tape has a longer shelf life than Sugru,(which is only about 6 months in the unopened packet) so you can re-tape if you manage to destroy the tape on your handle.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Sugru for a pot handle on 12/18/2012 12:00:56 MST Print View

I used Sugru on my pot handle and it worked fine, subject to the following:

(1) Looks like crap. I wasn't very good at applying it. You probably can do better.

(2) I have found no other use for Sugru and it has a shelf life so it was a rather expensive fix.

(3) Might plain old slicone caulk have worked as well after it cured? I'm sure I could have made it look just as ugly.