Forum Index » GEAR » Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL?

Display Avatars Sort By:
michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Hard on 01/09/2013 11:59:25 MST Print View

I have a feeling these are going to be hard to get and will sell out fast for a while, I want a mummy one but I would guess its at least a 2-3 month wait.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
NeoAir intro on 01/09/2013 13:56:58 MST Print View

When the NeoAir's came out, I was able to beat the crowd thru a small outdoor shop by having them call in my order, whereas all the bigger boys had pre-ordered and were waiting. :)
Duane

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
bigagnes.com on 01/15/2013 18:32:55 MST Print View

These have been released...anyone know where to buy one for less than retail?

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: bigagnes.com on 01/20/2013 22:58:20 MST Print View

Can anyone even find these in stock at a retailer?

Justin McCabe
(justinmc) - M

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: bigagnes.com on 01/21/2013 01:15:22 MST Print View

A Dav....REI is currently showing them in stock.

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Locale: Cen Cal
Re: Re: Re: bigagnes.com on 01/21/2013 02:23:37 MST Print View

They're out of stock, but you can backorder them.

2 oz more for a regular vs a mummy. Anyone still going to opt for a mummy?

Edited by TRAUMAhead on 01/21/2013 02:24:30 MST.

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
deciding on 01/21/2013 08:23:10 MST Print View

I think

20" x 72" x 3.25" mummy - 16oz

20" x 72" x 3.25" regular - 17oz

Are there any real advantages of a mummy pad other than the weight savings? Yes I realize it is also a slightly smaller footprint if you are sharing a small shelter but I can't think of what else.

Perhaps it is slightly warmer because there is less volume of air inside the pad?

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Mummy on 01/21/2013 10:19:59 MST Print View

I read somewhere the mummy is 2oz less.

The mummy is easier to inflate.

Smaller packed size.

Cheaper?

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle) - F
Re: on 01/21/2013 11:07:22 MST Print View

What's the best way to blow one of these up? I read that the Pumphouse isn't great.
I just ordered a mummy version, but not sure if it'll replace my Synmat/Downmat.

Edited by travis.bickle on 01/21/2013 11:30:46 MST.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Re: on 01/21/2013 11:44:41 MST Print View

The concept behind the pumphouse is fine, it's just too small. I think the Thermarest pumpsack would work fine, and it's big enough to do the job pretty well, though a one-way valve like the one on the Expeds would make it easier.

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Locale: Cen Cal
Pump on 01/21/2013 11:54:33 MST Print View

Instaflator or Camptek Microburst. I use to use an Instaflator on my old Air Core, worked fine. If I pick up a Q Core, I'll probably go with the Microburst.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: on 01/21/2013 11:57:42 MST Print View

Travis and Rakesh,

I've had no luck with the thermarest pump sack (that came with the xtherm) due to its small volume. I literally gave up after a few mins and went back to manual inflation at the risk of getting moisture from my lungs into the pad. A lot of people like the instaflator (cheap, light and same concept of pump sack but larger volume) or a camptek microburst (heavier, IMO expensive, but convenient and allows you to go do something else while your pads inflating)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Thermarest says moisture is ok (but that may not help the Q-Core folks on 01/21/2013 12:07:19 MST Print View

I agree with Konrad. The Thermarest pump sack is crap.

This may not be true of the Q-Core because of its insulation, but for non-lofting insulations like the XTherm, thermarest says that they've done a lot of testing and moisture in the pad does not harm the material and it won't affect its insulating properties, even in freezing temperatures. So on certain pads, it appears to be OK to use manual inflation. Just store the bag uncompressed with the valve open.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Bicycle Pump on 01/21/2013 12:20:50 MST Print View

When I was bike touring, we briefly considered rigging a piece of tubing from our tire pumps to our thermarests. I think my bike pump weighs like 4 oz.

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle) - F
Re: on 01/21/2013 12:47:23 MST Print View

Is it possible to rig the Exped Drybag Pump or Mini Pump to work with the BA? My hiking partner uses an Exped, I'll be using the BA. It would be nice if we could only take 1 pump.

Justin McCabe
(justinmc) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: on 01/22/2013 13:17:19 MST Print View

Kondrad,

Stupid question, have you hooked the instaflator to a BA pad?

I couldn't figure it out.

Yang Lu
(yanglu)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: on 01/22/2013 13:58:19 MST Print View

Justin,

I use BA dual core pad with instaflator all the time. I'd like to share my tricks.

I boil some water and put the small plastic tube of instafaltor into the boiled water. So it will become really soft. The put it on the valve of the BA pad. Let it sit overnight. Then take it off. You will see the tube become slightly bigger and easily fit on the valve.

In winter, the tube become really stiff and it is very hard to put on the valve. What I did is to put the tube in my mouth to warm it a while, then it can be put on.

Another thing I did was on the BA valve, there is a some thin rotating piece on top of the main cap. I find removing it make the inflation easier.

Hope it helps.

Yang

Justin McCabe
(justinmc) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: on 01/22/2013 14:42:46 MST Print View

Hi Yang,

That does help! I will fiddle with it this weekend, I am sure that will solve it if you have had personal success with it.

Thanks!

-Justin

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL? on 01/24/2013 22:11:32 MST Print View

The REI in Portland now has the Q-Core SL in the store, but only the rectangular 78" length. They did not have one opened and inflated yet so I didn't get to look at it too closely.

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle) - F
Re: Weight on 01/25/2013 18:46:52 MST Print View

Received my Q Core SL Mummy version. Weighs in at 17.2 oz.

Q core SL