Forum Index » GEAR » Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL?

Display Avatars Sort By:
R Petrelli
(rydia131) - F
Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL? on 12/17/2012 19:07:24 MST Print View

Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL? Just looking for a date. Thanks!

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
Now on 12/17/2012 19:15:46 MST Print View

http://www.rei.com/product/846673/big-agnes-q-core-sl-sleeping-pad

HTH

KJ

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
re on 12/17/2012 19:34:19 MST Print View

I saw this at OR 2012, I swear there was a mummy version, that would shave some weight.

Still at 18 ounces for an r-value of 5 is pretty decent.

R Petrelli
(rydia131) - F
Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL? on 12/18/2012 05:12:48 MST Print View

KJ...saw the info on REI already. It doesnt have a release date on there that I saw. I just saw the option to backorder it.

I saw the mummy cut version on the SL also. It was in an article on BPL that they talked about having the two different versions, with the mummy weighing in at 14oz.

I just wanted to try and see if there was an exact release date yet for these pads. Or if that still has yet to be released.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Does anyone know when it goes on Cheap and... on 12/18/2012 07:17:27 MST Print View

ho ho... Having laid on one of the Q-Cores after a week of high enjoyment with a BA aircore of some kind, I have have had my sights on one, ever since. The weight, which I'm willing to carry if need be, has been a justification to wait, however.

Now, I see an SL version and can only thank my lucky stars that the thing isn't available quite yet. There's time, there's time... but "Does anyone know when this will go on clearance?" :)

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
when? on 12/18/2012 07:18:10 MST Print View

I did not talk to them at the OR Show (somebody else had that meeting) but did see the pad. Yes it will come in a mummy shape, and I thought they were aiming at Feb, but am not sure.SL mummy

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re on 12/18/2012 09:06:21 MST Print View

If the full length mummy weighs 14 oz and has an r-value if 5 then it's quite possibly going to be hands down the best pad on the market to date.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re on 12/18/2012 10:43:13 MST Print View

Will be interesting to see how this stacks up to the X-Therm in real world use.

Ryan Dorn
(fiestabuckeye)
I need one on 12/18/2012 10:59:35 MST Print View

My hiking buddy gave me his regular Q-Core and it is by far the best pad I have ever slept on.

Anyone know how it feels in comparison to the regular?

Edited by fiestabuckeye on 12/18/2012 11:00:16 MST.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
I need one on 12/18/2012 11:18:14 MST Print View

Any user comparison with the NeoAir? The NeoAir has been the most comfortable sleep for me with my shoulders and hips, how does the "Q" compare comfort wise? Of course I do better if I'm not cutting or handling firewood.
Duane

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
noise? on 12/18/2012 13:35:37 MST Print View

Does anyone know if it's a silent pad or a dorito-bag cracklin' neo-air bafflin' style pad? Man, 14oz and a r-value of 5, on top of what many have already stated as the most comfortable pad ever....my wallet quivers with fear in anticipation of the punishment I'm about to bestow upon it. The box quilting/tufting reminds me of my home mattress; this thing looks sweet!

Edited by Konrad1013 on 12/18/2012 13:37:10 MST.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

re: noise on 12/18/2012 13:47:11 MST Print View

It is probably not noisy, its a fabric not a plastic like the neoair/ xlites.

This pad will probably put the synmat ul7 out of business, similar construction, but the Big Agnes has reflective layers on the inside in addition to synthetic insulation.

Ryan Dorn
(fiestabuckeye)
Re: I need one on 12/18/2012 13:58:00 MST Print View

Duane,
I have both and for me as a side sleeper, the regular Q-core is MUCH more comfortable than the NeoAir. It's not even really a comparison. With the extra thickness, I can let some air out and still feel pretty lofted off the ground and the thicker edge does keep me more centered on the pad. Of course, you have the weight trade-off though, but more and more I find myself justifying carrying it for a better night's sleep.

I'm definitely going to checkout the SL. Looks like the best of both worlds.

Edited by fiestabuckeye on 12/18/2012 14:04:21 MST.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
noise on 12/18/2012 13:59:45 MST Print View

Michael,
It's not the fabric of the neoair that makes it noisy, it's the overzealous use of reflective baffling (and God bless each and every one of them and the extra r-value they pump out) that makes the neoair noise.

I can't really tell from the REI description if the BA pad will have a similar issue. The REI description states that the pad uses synthetic insulation and "Internal heat reflective polyurethane coating returns heat back to your body for additional warmth." It's that last part that stumps me...is that reflective baffling or just a reflective coating like we see on the thermarest z-rest/solite/ridgerest solar. I think, and hope it's the latter.

Edited by Konrad1013 on 12/18/2012 14:01:45 MST.

R Petrelli
(rydia131) - F
Release Date on 12/18/2012 14:30:20 MST Print View

Ok so I emailed BA this morning and received an email back concerning the release date. They said January 2013. No exact date of the release yet but they deffinatly said january. The release will be for the mummy and regular cut on the same day.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Re: noise on 12/18/2012 15:10:43 MST Print View

I've only been on the grey, rectangular Q, but it was quiet and without any of that NeoAir crinkle. I'm fairly frugal and have a relatively new BA insulated that I scored on a clearance --it's great-- but I can tell you the Q was so impressive at very little additional weight penalty that I began plotting... now to see an SL version that weighs the same as my long, mummy BA in a long rectangle? Oh yes.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
packed size? on 12/18/2012 16:18:10 MST Print View

Any word about the packed size?
Bulky, or not bulky?

Edited by towaly on 12/18/2012 16:18:52 MST.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Re: packed size? on 12/18/2012 17:28:12 MST Print View

Tom, if you chase that REI link, they have an embedded video with the packed-sized shown at the end.

Vincent Vilcinskas
(vinvil) - M
BA Q Core SL on 12/18/2012 17:50:39 MST Print View

Folks, Thanks for all the good info on the Q Core SL. I have regular Q Core and love it. It's a bit heavy though. I had already ordered the SL version from REI and it was back ordered. Their website didn't have the mummy shape as an option. I just called REI and they said they weren't aware that the mummy shape would be an option. They recommended I cancel my current backorder. They also said they would contact BA
to verify the mummy shape and make it an option on their website.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Re: I need one on 12/18/2012 19:20:18 MST Print View

Thank you for the feedback Ryan. Here I'm trying to lighten my load some more, slowly, then you give me this info. I'm a side sleeper too, that was great info. Maybe with my dividend and REI Anniversary sale I can spring for a new mat.
Duane

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Craaaap on 12/18/2012 20:14:19 MST Print View

So finally after 4-5 yrs of using the heavy BAIAC, I pulled the trigger on an old school NeoAir that is fairly comfortable and weighs a scant 13.5oz. Now I see this thing and it's 3.5" of sleepy goodness, plus huge R-value and no crinkle noise. Only slightly heavier.
Please someone get it and post back that it's garbage so I don't have to buy another pad.

Ryan

Ryan Dorn
(fiestabuckeye)
Re: Re: I need one on 12/19/2012 02:44:50 MST Print View

Duane,
I'm right with you. I'm relatively new to all this and I've been meticulously lightening my load. I finally reached the point where I was under 19 pounds with everything for a 3 day trip and then my friend gave me his Q-Core. In the grand scheme of things though, I'll gladly give up 4 ounces or so with the new SL for a better night's sleep which has always been my biggest issue in the woods.

Ryan,
I'm anxiously waiting on reports for the new one as well. I'm dreading the wife's expression when I have to tell her I'm buying another $160 sleeping pad. Ugh. LOL.

Edited by fiestabuckeye on 12/19/2012 02:48:26 MST.

R Petrelli
(rydia131) - F
ughhhh on 12/19/2012 05:11:43 MST Print View

Hey it could be worse...im going to have to buy one for myself and my wife...

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: ughhhh on 12/19/2012 07:04:11 MST Print View

I am not sure if I trust the r5 rating. BA said the IAC had an r value of 4.1 but many people found it cold below 35-40*. I could use my Ridgerest (r 2.6) down into the teens but froze my but off with the IAC at 35*. I used an Exped Downmat 7 down to 0* and it was still beyond warm.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: Re: ughhhh on 12/19/2012 16:49:07 MST Print View

Great point Bradford! The BAIAC was indeed overrated. As a matter of fact, I've had poor luck with other synthetic insulated, long and unbaffled tube type mattresses. The POE Peak AC, which was suppose to be better on paper than the original neoair, was definitely overrated for me and left me cold even above freezing. I just can't imagine the synthetic insulation retaining its loft and insulating properties when it's repeated rolled and stored in a compressed state in our backpacks. Roger also explained how these designs with long unbaffled tubes (he refers to them as "air-core" mats) have inherent deficiencies, even when filled with synthetic insulation.

From: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=54098

"The air in an air-core mat is free to circulate between the warm top surface and the cold bottom surface. The layer of insulation inside the top surface is meant to limit the circulation, but in many cases it is just too thin to do this well. Also, if you are a restless sleeper, you are going to 'pump' the air in the mat around. Clearly this is happening in your case."

It'd be interesting to see if this new mat has a means of trapping air and inhibiting circulation (maybe without the use of baffles) and how this new mat performs when a user moves about in his/her sleep.

Whew, everybody can calm down now! Those new xtherms you just bought are still okay...or are they??? :)

I'd wait and see after some brave soul takes these new pads out to 10 degree weather. Who's volunteering?

Edited by Konrad1013 on 12/19/2012 16:53:28 MST.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: ughhhh on 12/19/2012 17:07:36 MST Print View

Thanks for the reminder Brad. Should have known a fellow Tennessean would bring reason to this situation!

Ryan

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
CD on 12/19/2012 17:21:17 MST Print View

3 things you can generally count on with cascade designs

1. their pads are accurately rated

2. they will take care of you no matter what

3. youll pay for more $$$$

;)

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

NeoAir is proven to me on 12/19/2012 19:48:05 MST Print View

Konrad,
Are you referring to the NeoAir? I've used my original, small, NeoAir into the single digits, but on dry sand/decomposed granite as the sole pad with a 15F WM bag. On snow or cold ground I add a ccf pad for temps down to the low/mid 20'sF. If I haven't posted this already.
Duane

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: NeoAir is proven to me on 12/19/2012 20:31:26 MST Print View

Duane,
Nope, I've had awesome luck with every version of the NeoAir. Their baffles trap the air, prevents circulation and generally provides for nice soft warm sleep. If you reread my post, you'll see that I'm talking about pads like the big agnes insulated aircore, and the Pac outdoors Peak AC, where you have very long tubes of air without any internal baffling/trestles. The Neoair is the exact opposite of those pads...but much more noisy as a result.

On the other hand, a lot of people love their Exped synmatUL7 and found them warm, even though the synmat UL7 shares the same design as the Big Agnes Insulated Aircore and the Peak AC. So, as with everything, your mileage will vary.

LIke you, I've taken my old style original Neoair to the 20's with a 1/8" ccf and have felt fine.

Edited by Konrad1013 on 12/19/2012 20:44:35 MST.

Michael Cheifetz
(mike_hefetz) - MLife

Locale: Israel
what am i missing? on 12/20/2012 06:49:34 MST Print View

if i get what is going on then the QSL has R< xtherm and weight > xtherm

why in the world (apart from $$) would i opt for the QSL?

M

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

The Reason might be... on 12/20/2012 07:19:09 MST Print View

The reason might be: comfort.

Some of us have done our penance elsewhere and prefer a comfortable, warm bed at night -- even in the outback. I'll pass on the variously crunchy, thin, squeaky, leaky or other such pads and opt for something thick and comfortable. Getting thick and comfortable that's also light? Well, that's where this QSL gets some of us piqued.

Michael Cheifetz
(mike_hefetz) - MLife

HUH? on 12/20/2012 09:36:51 MST Print View

@Erik

Putting early quality issues aside for a moment (and there WERE issues)
NEOAIR IS quite THICK (2.5"
It IS WARMer than the QSL

the noise issue...well I never had any problems (with my original rect neo)..but that is the only issue that is debatable.

Let me rephrase - If I personally sleep like a baby on a neoair - why should i not get an xtherm?

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Getting to sleep on 12/20/2012 11:26:13 MST Print View

If I could sleep better, I could get by with less of a comfy pad. So, since I toss and turn and my mind is going a mile a minute and keeps me awake, I need something that is comfortable to sleep/rest on my side on. These longer winter nights don't make it easy at home, let alone at 3 in the morning on a bp trip and another 4 hours before light to see by. I refuse to use a headlamp to get a moving with, unless we are talking about heading up the Mt. Whitney trail for a Portal to Portal before the break of dawn.
Duane

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: HUH? on 12/20/2012 14:39:30 MST Print View

@ Michael,

Actually if you compare the specs of the Xtherm in size regular vs the QSL in Mummy shape, then you have a fair apples to apples comparison. I think you were comparing the rectangle QSL vs the Xtherm.

So when comparing against the mummy shaped one, here are the stats

X-therm regular length
15oz
r value = 5.7
2.5inches high

Big Agnes QSL Mummy
14oz
r value= 5
3.5 inches high

Regarding the noise issue, the original neo airs did not have the noise issue...I thought mine was perfectly quiet. Once they starting making the xlite and the xtherm with even more baffles, it was a night and day difference in noise. You literally cannot move without making a potato chip bag crinkle noise.

I've just read so many good reviews regarding the new big agnes quilted/tufted style mattresses. And if it's silent, then that would be amazing.

Michael Cheifetz
(mike_hefetz) - MLife

weight and R value on 12/20/2012 15:01:07 MST Print View

@Konrad

RE weight - lets wait and see if the production model comes in...as we often see that might not be 14oz

RE R value - 0.7 is quite a bit more, and as R Caffin's test showed the NEO's are rated conservatively since when they are REALLY full the have higher R value (which I would imagine technology wise the QSL isnt that way since insulation comes more from the synth stuff and not so much the geometry

last but not least - if i understand correctly the NEO packs down much smaller since there is nothing in it really...

RE noise - ill just have to wait and see

M

michael levi
(M.L) - F

OR on 12/20/2012 15:27:37 MST Print View

At OR 2012 a few months ago I remember picking up the mummy QSL and it is definitely not crinkly, the feel is similar to a fabric like the Exped UL7.

That is not to say the reflective layer inside is not crinkly, I literally looked at the pad for 10 seconds.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: weight and R value on 12/20/2012 15:32:27 MST Print View

All very good points.

RE weight: my xtherm came in overspec at 15.4 oz

RE packed size: They will probably be the same packed size. REI website states that x-therm in size regular is 4" x 9" and the Big Agnes QSL in Rectangle shape is 5"x10." We can expect the mummy shaped version to pack even smaller than that, so I wouldn't be surprised if they both packed the same. Looking at the end of the video clip at rei showing the packed rectangle QSL, it looks to be the same size as my packed x-therm: See http://www.rei.com/product/846673/big-agnes-q-core-sl-sleeping-pad#video-inner

RE R-value: The R-value is a bit more tricky. Like I said in my earlier post, I'm pretty hesitant about using these big agnes style pads as I've found them overrated in the past and subject to cold spots. I also think synthetic insulation will NOT withstand the abuse of constantly being rolled up and stored in a compact state. Similar offerings in the past have attested to this fact and have been verified by BPL. I agree the original neos were conservatively rated...but at the same time, who slept on theirs fully inflated anyways? Not only was it impossible to sleep on them in their fully inflated state, it also wasn't comfortable when the pad was rock solid. If anything, the neoair was accurately rated since it achieved it's stated r-value at a level of inflation that people actually used....good on them! Roger verifies this, stating; "But do note that there is little chance of exploiting the top end of the thickness scale shown above: you will compress the mat well below that when you lie on it, especially if you 'soften' it a bit. And that means the upper end of the measured R-value scale is similarly well out of reach. It just isn't going to happen."

If the QSL is accurately rated at r-value of 5, then the .7 extra from the x-therm doesn't make a difference to my own personal style of camping...anything r-value of around 5 or higher is okay in my book since I don't camp below 0F.

I guess one thing that we haven't discussed about too much, and that has me thinking, is the issue of thickness when the user is actually on it. Sure 3.5" looks incredibly awesome and is a whole 1" greater than the xtherm, but what does that mean in practice? As we all know, thickness on paper doesn't always equate to the same when you're lying on it. Current designs indicate that baffling/trestles are necessary to maintain thickness across the entire pad when the user concentrates his weight on a particular area of the pad (compare the old original neoair or old big agnes pads where one would sit on it, and their butt would touch touch the ground but the surrounding pad would puff up with the dispersed air vs the neoair all season, xlite or xtherm where because of the overzealous use of baffling, if you sat on the pad you were still supported). So what I'm getting at is that 3.5" means nothing if there isn't some internal design to hinder air circulation and support the user when they concentrate their weight on an area. Also, the thicker the mattress, the more issues you begin to run into. For example, if you use a shelter with steep sloping walls (think pyramid shelter like a Duomid, etc etc), that's less clearance for your head when you are lying down or sitting up , etc.

In practice, all I need is a couple mm's off the ground...enough where I can't feel the pebble or stick. That's fine in my book, and I really don't care if it took the pad 1" or 3.5" of inflated thickness to achieve that.

Edited by Konrad1013 on 12/20/2012 15:56:12 MST.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Re: weight and R value on 12/20/2012 17:59:14 MST Print View

Thanks for the arguments. I think the bit about less R-value for the Q-Core is a non-issue. If I can get by with the low R-value of my original, small NeoAir and a 15F degree bag in single digits, with no ccf pad on dry ground and on different trips the same configuration but with a 5F bag on snow with some heat loss per the ice under my sleeping area after two nights in the same spot with temps in the 20'sF, I'd think the Q-Core with a ccf pad would be more than sufficient. I'd hate to be out in the snow and have a air mattress fail without some backup.
Duane

Michael Cheifetz
(mike_hefetz) - MLife

I could of course be wrong on 12/21/2012 09:49:35 MST Print View

@konrad

I have been wrong before and this could be one of these cases.
My personal actual experience is that I sleep fine on super inflated neo or super inflated prolite for that matter. As such for me personally the R value is high. Also I of course realize that my butt will not benefit from 2.5" of thickness but heat loss is at the end of the day a macroscopic average and that means that most of my body is very well insulated.

Re weight and R Val : I trust cascade designs with their ratings. And common sense has it that the neo technology should way less than a synth insulated air mattress. So I'm wary of the combined R value and weight specs from BA.
Combine that with compression cycles and...
Re packed value - your numbers show that indeed the neo packs (a bit) smaller and that makes sense again as it doesn't have filaments inside. ...

I guess we will have to wait until field experience and maybe some testing come along.
No doubt he qsl is quite promising
M

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL?" on 12/26/2012 20:34:11 MST Print View

I was in REI Monday to kill a little time and I got to get my hands on I'm guessing a X-Therm, not sure as it was a display model with no signage. Full length, greenish/aquamarine color I guess. Wow, that is noisy and I'm partial to CD/MSR. When my small, original NeoAir was new it never made that much noise.
Duane

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Hard on 01/09/2013 11:59:25 MST Print View

I have a feeling these are going to be hard to get and will sell out fast for a while, I want a mummy one but I would guess its at least a 2-3 month wait.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

NeoAir intro on 01/09/2013 13:56:58 MST Print View

When the NeoAir's came out, I was able to beat the crowd thru a small outdoor shop by having them call in my order, whereas all the bigger boys had pre-ordered and were waiting. :)
Duane

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
bigagnes.com on 01/15/2013 18:32:55 MST Print View

These have been released...anyone know where to buy one for less than retail?

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: bigagnes.com on 01/20/2013 22:58:20 MST Print View

Can anyone even find these in stock at a retailer?

Justin McCabe
(justinmc) - M

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: bigagnes.com on 01/21/2013 01:15:22 MST Print View

A Dav....REI is currently showing them in stock.

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead) - F

Locale: Cen Cal
Re: Re: Re: bigagnes.com on 01/21/2013 02:23:37 MST Print View

They're out of stock, but you can backorder them.

2 oz more for a regular vs a mummy. Anyone still going to opt for a mummy?

Edited by TRAUMAhead on 01/21/2013 02:24:30 MST.

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
deciding on 01/21/2013 08:23:10 MST Print View

I think

20" x 72" x 3.25" mummy - 16oz

20" x 72" x 3.25" regular - 17oz

Are there any real advantages of a mummy pad other than the weight savings? Yes I realize it is also a slightly smaller footprint if you are sharing a small shelter but I can't think of what else.

Perhaps it is slightly warmer because there is less volume of air inside the pad?

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Mummy on 01/21/2013 10:19:59 MST Print View

I read somewhere the mummy is 2oz less.

The mummy is easier to inflate.

Smaller packed size.

Cheaper?

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle) - F
Re: on 01/21/2013 11:07:22 MST Print View

What's the best way to blow one of these up? I read that the Pumphouse isn't great.
I just ordered a mummy version, but not sure if it'll replace my Synmat/Downmat.

Edited by travis.bickle on 01/21/2013 11:30:46 MST.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Re: on 01/21/2013 11:44:41 MST Print View

The concept behind the pumphouse is fine, it's just too small. I think the Thermarest pumpsack would work fine, and it's big enough to do the job pretty well, though a one-way valve like the one on the Expeds would make it easier.

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead) - F

Locale: Cen Cal
Pump on 01/21/2013 11:54:33 MST Print View

Instaflator or Camptek Microburst. I use to use an Instaflator on my old Air Core, worked fine. If I pick up a Q Core, I'll probably go with the Microburst.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: on 01/21/2013 11:57:42 MST Print View

Travis and Rakesh,

I've had no luck with the thermarest pump sack (that came with the xtherm) due to its small volume. I literally gave up after a few mins and went back to manual inflation at the risk of getting moisture from my lungs into the pad. A lot of people like the instaflator (cheap, light and same concept of pump sack but larger volume) or a camptek microburst (heavier, IMO expensive, but convenient and allows you to go do something else while your pads inflating)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Thermarest says moisture is ok (but that may not help the Q-Core folks on 01/21/2013 12:07:19 MST Print View

I agree with Konrad. The Thermarest pump sack is crap.

This may not be true of the Q-Core because of its insulation, but for non-lofting insulations like the XTherm, thermarest says that they've done a lot of testing and moisture in the pad does not harm the material and it won't affect its insulating properties, even in freezing temperatures. So on certain pads, it appears to be OK to use manual inflation. Just store the bag uncompressed with the valve open.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.wordpress.com
Bicycle Pump on 01/21/2013 12:20:50 MST Print View

When I was bike touring, we briefly considered rigging a piece of tubing from our tire pumps to our thermarests. I think my bike pump weighs like 4 oz.

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle) - F
Re: on 01/21/2013 12:47:23 MST Print View

Is it possible to rig the Exped Drybag Pump or Mini Pump to work with the BA? My hiking partner uses an Exped, I'll be using the BA. It would be nice if we could only take 1 pump.

Justin McCabe
(justinmc) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: on 01/22/2013 13:17:19 MST Print View

Kondrad,

Stupid question, have you hooked the instaflator to a BA pad?

I couldn't figure it out.

Yang Lu
(yanglu) - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: on 01/22/2013 13:58:19 MST Print View

Justin,

I use BA dual core pad with instaflator all the time. I'd like to share my tricks.

I boil some water and put the small plastic tube of instafaltor into the boiled water. So it will become really soft. The put it on the valve of the BA pad. Let it sit overnight. Then take it off. You will see the tube become slightly bigger and easily fit on the valve.

In winter, the tube become really stiff and it is very hard to put on the valve. What I did is to put the tube in my mouth to warm it a while, then it can be put on.

Another thing I did was on the BA valve, there is a some thin rotating piece on top of the main cap. I find removing it make the inflation easier.

Hope it helps.

Yang

Justin McCabe
(justinmc) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: on 01/22/2013 14:42:46 MST Print View

Hi Yang,

That does help! I will fiddle with it this weekend, I am sure that will solve it if you have had personal success with it.

Thanks!

-Justin

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL? on 01/24/2013 22:11:32 MST Print View

The REI in Portland now has the Q-Core SL in the store, but only the rectangular 78" length. They did not have one opened and inflated yet so I didn't get to look at it too closely.

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle) - F
Re: Weight on 01/25/2013 18:46:52 MST Print View

Received my Q Core SL Mummy version. Weighs in at 17.2 oz.

Q core SL

Tim Klaus
(WWhermit) - F

Locale: So Cal
Travis, whadda ya think? on 01/28/2013 20:06:06 MST Print View

Travis, what length is that? REI lists regular length at 16oz, and long at 17oz.

Also, what are your initial thoughts on the pad? Really considering getting one of these.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

arrived? on 01/28/2013 20:17:49 MST Print View

Cant believe Travis recieved one already, 17.2oz, I was hoping it would be around 16oz.

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle) - F
re on 01/30/2013 00:29:48 MST Print View

that is the regular length. i have not even inflated it yet but am planning on returning it. i have the synmat and downmat already and was hoping this would replace one or both of them. however, my downmat ul is only 17.5 oz, is not mummy shaped and has a higher r value. mu hiking partner brings her exped drybag pump anyway. i really dont like the fact that there arent any really great options to inflate the BA.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

reviews? on 02/07/2013 17:21:08 MST Print View

Does anyone have the weight for the regular shape yet? Without the repair kit.

John Martin
(snapyjohn) - M

Locale: Pacific NW
Portland rei on 02/07/2013 21:55:49 MST Print View

I laid on a demo SL and it was nice.
They had two regular size SL no LW.
Tigard had none and Next Adventure had
none.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re on 02/08/2013 09:54:22 MST Print View

Travis, did you end up keeping your mummy version, and have you inflated it yet?

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Picture of packed size?? on 02/10/2013 08:35:53 MST Print View

Can anyone share a picture of how small this packs to? I am far more concerned with packed volume right now rather than weight...and I'd like to know how this compares to the exped size-wise when rolled up.

Most BA pads are awfully large when packed...

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
from bigagnes.com on 02/10/2013 09:05:43 MST Print View

20" x 66" x 3.5" - Orange 3.5" x 8.5"
20" x 72" x 3.5" - Orange 3.5" x 9"
20" x 78" x 3.5" - Orange 3.5" x 9.5"
25" x 78" x 3.5" - Orange 4.5" x 10"
20" x 78" x 3.25" mummy - Orange 3.5" x 10"
20" x 72" x 3.25" mummy - Orange 3" x 9"

michael levi
(M.L) - F

found a review on 02/10/2013 19:48:37 MST Print View

Take this for what its worth, its the 78 inch square model, 20.7oz for the pad itself, the patch kit and stuff sack weigh 1 ounce.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?5339-BA-Q-Core-SL-versus-Exped-UL7

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: found a review on 02/10/2013 19:54:18 MST Print View

Initial impression only really. And does he use enough slop on the bottom of the pad? A whole ounce, yikes.

Will have to wait for more info on the R value.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

got one on 02/13/2013 19:46:00 MST Print View

I got the petite (66x20), rectangle shape. I am a side sleeper and generally roll around a lot so I didnt go with the mummy version.

it weighs 16.9 oz, and ill probably put it in a cuben stuff sack that weighs next to nothing. So im probably looking at 17 ounces.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: got one on 02/14/2013 20:03:53 MST Print View

15 breaths to inflate, also the fabric is pretty robust compared to my old Exped UL7.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Narrow, ugh on 02/19/2013 22:58:30 MST Print View

I really wanted to like this pad. Maybe it's just me but the pad feels narrow. I feel like I'm fighting to get comfortable. The thicker sides make it worse too.

Ill give it another shot but it seems like my exped ul7 was much wider.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing Q core on 02/20/2013 10:11:29 MST Print View

I saw one at REI in Berkeley and yeah, it seems really narrow.

Edited by book on 02/24/2013 10:10:04 MST.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Width on 02/20/2013 11:10:16 MST Print View

Is it more narrow than the q core non SL version?

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
72" mummy.. on 02/22/2013 17:20:49 MST Print View

Im 5'11" 185, 42" chest...doesnt feel "too narrow" for me to sleep comfortably on it. Very comfortable overall.

However, it weighs 17.2 oz on my scale. another .8 oz for the stuff sack/repair kit. Disappointing but I'll probably keep it.

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: 72" mummy.. on 02/24/2013 08:35:11 MST Print View

I take that back.. I tried actually sleeping on it. For side sleeping it is just fine. But when I lay on my back, my arms and shoulders really hang over the side.

I dont know if the non-mummy is any wider in the torso area. I dont think it is. I don't think i'll be keeping this after all.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re on 02/24/2013 08:44:11 MST Print View

I returned my rectangle sl and got the exped ul7. The exped feels several inches wider. I can lay on my back with my arms resting on the pad, and side sleep without my legs falling off. If I had to guess the exped feels 2 inches wider on each side.

At least!

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: Re on 02/24/2013 09:40:41 MST Print View

I thought about trying the regular q-core sl instead of the mummy. But I think the exped synmat ul 7 is going to be my choice.