Forum Index » GEAR » Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL?

Display Avatars Sort By:
R Petrelli
(rydia131) - F
Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL? on 12/17/2012 19:07:24 MST Print View

Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL? Just looking for a date. Thanks!

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
Now on 12/17/2012 19:15:46 MST Print View

http://www.rei.com/product/846673/big-agnes-q-core-sl-sleeping-pad

HTH

KJ

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
re on 12/17/2012 19:34:19 MST Print View

I saw this at OR 2012, I swear there was a mummy version, that would shave some weight.

Still at 18 ounces for an r-value of 5 is pretty decent.

R Petrelli
(rydia131) - F
Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL? on 12/18/2012 05:12:48 MST Print View

KJ...saw the info on REI already. It doesnt have a release date on there that I saw. I just saw the option to backorder it.

I saw the mummy cut version on the SL also. It was in an article on BPL that they talked about having the two different versions, with the mummy weighing in at 14oz.

I just wanted to try and see if there was an exact release date yet for these pads. Or if that still has yet to be released.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Does anyone know when it goes on Cheap and... on 12/18/2012 07:17:27 MST Print View

ho ho... Having laid on one of the Q-Cores after a week of high enjoyment with a BA aircore of some kind, I have have had my sights on one, ever since. The weight, which I'm willing to carry if need be, has been a justification to wait, however.

Now, I see an SL version and can only thank my lucky stars that the thing isn't available quite yet. There's time, there's time... but "Does anyone know when this will go on clearance?" :)

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
when? on 12/18/2012 07:18:10 MST Print View

I did not talk to them at the OR Show (somebody else had that meeting) but did see the pad. Yes it will come in a mummy shape, and I thought they were aiming at Feb, but am not sure.SL mummy

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re on 12/18/2012 09:06:21 MST Print View

If the full length mummy weighs 14 oz and has an r-value if 5 then it's quite possibly going to be hands down the best pad on the market to date.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re on 12/18/2012 10:43:13 MST Print View

Will be interesting to see how this stacks up to the X-Therm in real world use.

Ryan Dorn
(fiestabuckeye)
I need one on 12/18/2012 10:59:35 MST Print View

My hiking buddy gave me his regular Q-Core and it is by far the best pad I have ever slept on.

Anyone know how it feels in comparison to the regular?

Edited by fiestabuckeye on 12/18/2012 11:00:16 MST.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
I need one on 12/18/2012 11:18:14 MST Print View

Any user comparison with the NeoAir? The NeoAir has been the most comfortable sleep for me with my shoulders and hips, how does the "Q" compare comfort wise? Of course I do better if I'm not cutting or handling firewood.
Duane

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
noise? on 12/18/2012 13:35:37 MST Print View

Does anyone know if it's a silent pad or a dorito-bag cracklin' neo-air bafflin' style pad? Man, 14oz and a r-value of 5, on top of what many have already stated as the most comfortable pad ever....my wallet quivers with fear in anticipation of the punishment I'm about to bestow upon it. The box quilting/tufting reminds me of my home mattress; this thing looks sweet!

Edited by Konrad1013 on 12/18/2012 13:37:10 MST.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

re: noise on 12/18/2012 13:47:11 MST Print View

It is probably not noisy, its a fabric not a plastic like the neoair/ xlites.

This pad will probably put the synmat ul7 out of business, similar construction, but the Big Agnes has reflective layers on the inside in addition to synthetic insulation.

Ryan Dorn
(fiestabuckeye)
Re: I need one on 12/18/2012 13:58:00 MST Print View

Duane,
I have both and for me as a side sleeper, the regular Q-core is MUCH more comfortable than the NeoAir. It's not even really a comparison. With the extra thickness, I can let some air out and still feel pretty lofted off the ground and the thicker edge does keep me more centered on the pad. Of course, you have the weight trade-off though, but more and more I find myself justifying carrying it for a better night's sleep.

I'm definitely going to checkout the SL. Looks like the best of both worlds.

Edited by fiestabuckeye on 12/18/2012 14:04:21 MST.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
noise on 12/18/2012 13:59:45 MST Print View

Michael,
It's not the fabric of the neoair that makes it noisy, it's the overzealous use of reflective baffling (and God bless each and every one of them and the extra r-value they pump out) that makes the neoair noise.

I can't really tell from the REI description if the BA pad will have a similar issue. The REI description states that the pad uses synthetic insulation and "Internal heat reflective polyurethane coating returns heat back to your body for additional warmth." It's that last part that stumps me...is that reflective baffling or just a reflective coating like we see on the thermarest z-rest/solite/ridgerest solar. I think, and hope it's the latter.

Edited by Konrad1013 on 12/18/2012 14:01:45 MST.

R Petrelli
(rydia131) - F
Release Date on 12/18/2012 14:30:20 MST Print View

Ok so I emailed BA this morning and received an email back concerning the release date. They said January 2013. No exact date of the release yet but they deffinatly said january. The release will be for the mummy and regular cut on the same day.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Re: noise on 12/18/2012 15:10:43 MST Print View

I've only been on the grey, rectangular Q, but it was quiet and without any of that NeoAir crinkle. I'm fairly frugal and have a relatively new BA insulated that I scored on a clearance --it's great-- but I can tell you the Q was so impressive at very little additional weight penalty that I began plotting... now to see an SL version that weighs the same as my long, mummy BA in a long rectangle? Oh yes.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
packed size? on 12/18/2012 16:18:10 MST Print View

Any word about the packed size?
Bulky, or not bulky?

Edited by towaly on 12/18/2012 16:18:52 MST.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Re: packed size? on 12/18/2012 17:28:12 MST Print View

Tom, if you chase that REI link, they have an embedded video with the packed-sized shown at the end.

Vincent Vilcinskas
(vinvil) - M
BA Q Core SL on 12/18/2012 17:50:39 MST Print View

Folks, Thanks for all the good info on the Q Core SL. I have regular Q Core and love it. It's a bit heavy though. I had already ordered the SL version from REI and it was back ordered. Their website didn't have the mummy shape as an option. I just called REI and they said they weren't aware that the mummy shape would be an option. They recommended I cancel my current backorder. They also said they would contact BA
to verify the mummy shape and make it an option on their website.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Re: I need one on 12/18/2012 19:20:18 MST Print View

Thank you for the feedback Ryan. Here I'm trying to lighten my load some more, slowly, then you give me this info. I'm a side sleeper too, that was great info. Maybe with my dividend and REI Anniversary sale I can spring for a new mat.
Duane