Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Water bottle camera mount
Display Avatars Sort By:
Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Water bottle camera mount on 12/16/2012 19:42:18 MST Print View

My usual backpacking photography kit consists of my 5oz camera and my 1.5oz gorillapod. I recently acquired a smaller camera (the 2.9oz Samsung ST30) and I have been looking for a lighter alternative to the gorillapod.

I had an old mini-tripod, so I dissected it for the mounting screw and ball joint. The mounting screw is aluminum, and the socket component of the ball joint looks like nylon. I drilled a hole in a SmartWater bottle cap, pushed the ball-joint into the opening (it snapped in nicely) and secured it with methacrylate glue.

I failed to weigh the unmodified cap beforehand, but the modified cap weighs 4 grams. The platypus cap next to it in the photo below weighs 6 grams.

cap

cap2

cap3

cap3

It is very stable with the camera attached, despite the position of the mounting point on the camera. The ball joint allows the camera to be pointed up or down or swivelled around.

cap4

cap5

cap6

I inverted the bottle and squeezed it hard and the modified cap doesn't appear to leak.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Water bottle camera mount on 12/16/2012 21:20:04 MST Print View

Clever.

Adrian MITCHELL
(adie.mitchell)

Locale: Northwest Mass
Re: Water bottle camera mount on 12/18/2012 12:59:24 MST Print View

just make sure you only need to take photos when your water bottle is full!

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Bottle on 12/18/2012 16:14:21 MST Print View

Yes, it wouldn't work when the bottle is empty. This bottle is very narrow, though. I would guess that a shorter, wider bottle would be stable with just a few ounces of water in it (in the absence of wind).