choosing between m90, m50, and 1.1 ripstop for quilts and clothing
Display Avatars Sort By:
Loki Cuthbert
(lokbot) - F

Locale: Portland, OR
choosing between m90, m50, and 1.1 ripstop for quilts and clothing on 12/16/2012 19:07:40 MST Print View

I've made a couple of hammocks and tarps now I'm ready to jump on a more complicated project. I'm thinking I want to work on a quilt next then step up to a whitney down jacket from thru-hiker. I've only worked with sil-nylon and 1.1 ripstop from DIY gear supply. What fabrics would you choose for top quilts, under quilts, and for a down jacket. Why would you choose those fabrics?

Who do you like to order your materials from. I like the selection from thru-hiker, but not their shipping rates. Love wilderness logics down price and shipping rates. DIY gear supply has good prices of nylon fabrics and awesome 2nds that are available, but I wish they had down in stock more regularly so I wouldn't have to order from multiple vendors to get a project done.

I guess I'm trying to find a store that meets more of my needs and my budgets so I can give them all of my money.

-Loki

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: choosing between m90, m50, and 1.1 ripstop for quilts and clothing on 12/16/2012 21:23:52 MST Print View

I've used nobul from http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Fabric.html

Cheap, the lightest weight

I used it for synthetic but it's reported to be fairly down proof. Maybe not quite as good as some others. Probably not as water resistant as M50.

I found it was easy enough to sew. The 1.1 oz stuff is probably easier.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: choosing between m90, m50, and 1.1 ripstop for quilts and clothing on 12/17/2012 18:49:59 MST Print View

Impetus 1.0 available at DIY gear supply is a great fabric for quilts. Durable and easy to work with like 1.1, middle of the road weather resistance, good breath ability, wonderful soft hand. Lighter fabrics can be used and work great. Nobull1 liner nobull2 shell is a good option to for a really light weight shell but without the plastic m50 feel

-Tim

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: choosing between m90, m50, and 1.1 ripstop for quilts and clothing on 04/16/2013 14:00:42 MDT Print View

i used M50 for pants and to make side walls for a TT Rainbow. after working with that, M90 was relaxing.

i found the M50 a little hard to work with. there are threads with tips about working with it. for something simple and fairly large like a quilt, i might use it...

for smaller things where the weight difference between using M50 and M90 is less,i will use M90. i think the M50 is fine for clothing. it was just too hard for me to work with. i guess my experience level is average.