Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13

Display Avatars Sort By:
Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Re: Food and activities on 01/09/2013 20:00:53 MST Print View

I'm bringing my shovel, and a machete for making an igloo, hopefully Marc will have one started if not finished by the time I get there.

For lunch it will be Mountain House New Orleans Rice with shrimp and ham, this is about the only one that I'll eat, then for dinner it's Frito, hot dog, chili cheese boat's, and for breakfast just plain oat meal and some cocoa.

I'm ready, lets do this, yeah!

Edited by jumpbackjack on 01/09/2013 20:01:24 MST.

Richard Niemi
(rickniemi) - F - M

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains
Arival Time and igloo? on 01/10/2013 11:28:05 MST Print View

Jack, I'm interested in helping with the igloo.

I'll be arriving and camping at Wawona this evening (Thur).

Friday morning I'm not sure if I'll be skiing or just hanging out near Badger Pass but would like an idea what time to be looking for your guys.

I drive a Forrest Green Subaru Legacy.

Rick

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Arival Time and igloo? on 01/10/2013 20:21:05 MST Print View

@ Richard,

I'm shooting for an 8:00 am trail head arrival.

Here's my thinking on the igloo or snow cave.

I would like to build as many as possible, that way the people that don't have the gear to make it through the low temps can stay in an igloo were the temps should stay around 30* instead of the predicted 12* for the rest of us.

I would like to use the igloo myself, but would rather see someone else use it if they need it, this all depends on the snow condtions of course.

We'll be in a white 2005 Toyota Camry

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Arival Time and igloo? on 01/10/2013 20:25:46 MST Print View

@Richard
I think Jack will be arriving on Saturday morning, not Friday. A few of us will be leaving the Modesto area around 10:30/11:00 tomorrow.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: igloo? on 01/11/2013 15:22:11 MST Print View

As a general rule in Yosemite, igloos don't work unless you have the special igloo tool. It normally requires very solid snow for an igloo. If you have hard styrofoam snow, then it is possible to saw it with a snow saw, but I doubt that a machete will do much since it doesn't have teeth.

snow saw

This image shows the kind of proper snow saw that we've used in California. You will notice the aggressive teeth. Cut on the pull stroke.

In Yosemite, a snow cave generally works better, especially if you have the right slope in a hillside. If the snow is too shallow, then a quinzhee works better. Just shovel the snow into one big pile, let it sinter for a while, and then dig out the center. But there you need a short-handled spoon-shaped shovel. You also need to have your rain gear on since it gets to be a very wet job.

--B.G.--