Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13
Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
I am in on 12/26/2012 14:08:41 MST Print View

I would like to join . I can take Friday off and possibly carpool with someone?
Can't wait!

Mike Oxford
(moxford) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA
Date question on 12/26/2012 15:15:12 MST Print View

The dates are for a Fri-Sun trip ... for those of us who cannot get Friday completely off, can you post the rough itinerary so we can possibly drive up Friday evening/night and figure out where you all are at? :)

Thanks!

-mox

Adam Criswell
(macrophyllum) - F

Locale: Northern California
Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 12/26/2012 17:00:14 MST Print View

I have the Friday off, so I would like to hike out then. I have also taken a couple of days before off and will possibly be camping in the valley to do some winter photography. If anyone else is interested let me know.

Richard Niemi
(rickniemi) - F - M

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains
Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 01/02/2013 21:27:39 MST Print View

I was up in Yosemite for the last 5 days. 1 1/2' of snow in the Valley and lots up at Badger Pass. Nights at Badger have been in the teens and twenties during the day.
I spoke with the Rangers at Badger Pass. 15 people per permit. Blank permits are on the outside of the Badger Pass Ranger Station. They do not have a quota system in the winter. Park in the overnight parking only. It is marked.
I'm looking forward to the trip. It will be a blast!

This photo was taken on the drive out of Badger Pass.Badger Pass road over New Year's Holiday - Lots of Snow!!!

Edited by rickniemi on 01/02/2013 21:50:39 MST.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 01/02/2013 21:46:31 MST Print View

Nice Richard,

Thanks for the update, I can't wait.

Jack

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 01/02/2013 22:32:59 MST Print View

Thanks for the helpful information Richard. I will update the original post with this information. See you all soon!

Edited by Davidpcvsamoa on 01/02/2013 22:34:24 MST.

William Johnson
(Steamboat_Willie)
Have fun! on 01/03/2013 04:03:48 MST Print View

I just did this hike a few days before Christmas. I had a great time and hope you do, too.

I snowshoed and my partners skiied. It worked out well because the last three miles in to Dewey Point were snowed over and no tracks remained. I was able to break a trail for them. Snow was a fantastic corn like layer. Wonderful!

I would suggest eating at the Curry Bar, in Curry Village, Yosemite. It has moderately priced eats (one of the lowest in Yosemite), a good cafe selection of foods for the vegetarian and up, a fantastic Mammoth Double Nut Brown Ale, and a warm, cozy fireplace.

Lunch at Dewey Point

Edited by Steamboat_Willie on 01/03/2013 04:07:57 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Trip on 01/03/2013 10:04:01 MST Print View

David and all,
Could we have a list of who is going and what days they are getting there?
Also, does anyone know if there are enough suitable trees for hammocking?
Thanks!

David, I cannot take all of Friday off, butI can leave work( Santa Cruz) around 9 or 10 am...

Edited by Kat_P on 01/03/2013 10:38:22 MST.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Headcount on 01/03/2013 11:02:39 MST Print View

Kat, There are enough trees to Hammock.

Edited by Davidpcvsamoa on 01/09/2013 10:04:32 MST.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Carpooling on 01/03/2013 12:29:10 MST Print View

Is anyone driving up from San Francisco or near a BART station on Saturday morning that I could get a ride with? Or even Friday evening?

I could drive if necessary, but would prefer to leave the car behind for my girlfriend to use.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Headcount on 01/03/2013 19:28:19 MST Print View

Looks like I'll be heading up early Sat. morning with Me, my son, Brian, Andy, and maybe Kevin S. You can add my son Jeremy to the list.

Jack

Edited by jumpbackjack on 01/03/2013 19:29:24 MST.

Adam Criswell
(macrophyllum) - F

Locale: Northern California
Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 01/04/2013 10:14:49 MST Print View

Those coming in of Friday: What time are you planning on starting? Should we try to start together or just meet out at the point? If starting separately, should each person be responsible for their own permit?

Edited by macrophyllum on 01/04/2013 10:21:47 MST.

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 01/04/2013 10:37:23 MST Print View

Chris S and I will be heading up early Saturday. I'm heading out from Sunnyvale then picking him up at the Dublin BART if anybody wants to carpool.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 01/04/2013 12:09:24 MST Print View

"If starting separately, should each person be responsible for their own permit?"

Yes. If you are separate, then you are not in the group.

A park ranger might stop you at any time and ask to see your permit.

--B.G.--

Jane Baack
(JaneB.) - MLife
Meetup-Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. on 01/04/2013 14:39:10 MST Print View

I believe that only the group going in on Friday to spend the night out at Dewey Pt. needs the permit. Others going in on Saturday will join the group with the permit, up to 15 allowed. No one who is just snowshoeing or skiing needs a permit at Badger Pass so no rangers will be checking for permits unless you are camping overnight. While going to Dewy Pt. the Sat. group should not need any permit-their permit is already at the site. This is the same as when someone skis or snowshoes ahead of the group-no permit needed until camping.

Actually, based on what happened two years ago, with Jack going in we'll all need to monitor the situation to make sure another blizzard doesn't arrive and keep them up there drinking beer and eating the Badger Pass cafeteria food all night and day until they can be dug out and Rangers caravan them out. With Jack along AND some of the others who got stuck with him, who knows what will happen? Of course if Kevin S. and Jack's son surely everything will be just fine. Oh, sure! Goo luck on that.

Jane

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Meetup-Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. on 01/04/2013 14:58:37 MST Print View

Some interesting words may be found on page 21 of the current Yosemite National Park Superintendent's Compendium:

• When Glacier Point road is closed due to winter conditions, camping is prohibited in the following
areas:
• Within 1½ miles of the Badger Pass ski area boundary
• Summit Meadow, Dewey Point and the Glacier Point area.

===============
I don't write the rules. I just read them.

--B.G.--

Richard Niemi
(rickniemi) - F - M

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains
Re: Meetup-Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. on 01/04/2013 15:16:42 MST Print View

When I spoke with the Badger Pass Rangers last week I told them I was going to be camping out near Dewey Point in a few weeks. They told me to camp out of visual site of the trail and I will be okay.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildwinter.htm
Quote from the page listed above -
"In general, winter Wilderness users must camp at least one mile away from a plowed road. Camping is not allowed within 1½ miles of the Badger Pass ski area boundary. Camping is also not allowed at Summit Meadow, Dewey Point, or Glacier Point (camping is permitted near both points, but not at the points themselves)."

I'll go with what they told me and what it says on their website.
Rick

Edited by rickniemi on 01/04/2013 15:32:00 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Meetup-Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. on 01/04/2013 15:51:33 MST Print View

Another good place to try is out near Sentinel Dome, or across the road from the Sentinel Dome access trail. You get more of a view toward Half Dome. Once you are 50 yards or so off the road, nobody will know that you are there.

--B.G.--

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Re: Re: Meetup-Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt on 01/05/2013 11:15:49 MST Print View

If anybody has a tarp to bring for a kitchen set up, you might want to bring it, incase the weather turns bad then we have something to cook under out of the weather.

I'm bringing at least one 8x10. and maybe a 10x10

Just saying!

Jack

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Meetup-Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt on 01/06/2013 00:22:00 MST Print View

@Jack
I will be bringing one of my tarps for my hammock set up. If need be we can huddle under...