Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13

Display Avatars Sort By:
David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 12/15/2012 18:04:32 MST Print View

Where: Dewey Pt out of Badger Pass Ski Area
When: January 11-13 (additional days mid-week could be added depending on interest)
Distance: 4 or 3.5 Mi, depending which trail you take to get there
Difficulty: Easy
Travel: Bring chains. There will be travel restrictions on Glacier Pt Road.
Who: BPLers and their friends. No dogs per park rules.

j Dewey Point

Wilderness Permits are required. 15 people per permit. Blank permits are on the outside of the Badger Pass Ranger Station. They do not have a quota system in the winter. Park in the overnight parking only. It is marked.

As requested, I am starting a headcount list with the day people plan to show up (Friday or Saturday).

David - Friday
Jacob - Friday
Jack + son - Saturday
Kat - Friday
Marc - Friday
Rick - Friday
Adam - Friday
Brian - Saturday
Andy - Saturday
Kevin - Saturday
Chris - Saturday
Richard - ?
Kevin - Maybe
Mike - ?
Jack- ?

Edited by Davidpcvsamoa on 01/09/2013 10:06:33 MST.

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 12/15/2012 18:32:48 MST Print View

I'm in.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Re: Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 12/15/2012 20:49:43 MST Print View

mee2

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 12/15/2012 23:47:27 MST Print View

I need to move south a bit. Can't wait for S.M.A.R.T. to get to Petaluma. I'm missing too many good trips with you guys.

Edited by kthompson on 12/15/2012 23:49:20 MST.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Jack E. is in. on 12/16/2012 09:48:22 MST Print View

Jack Elliot PM'd me and says he is likely in for Saturday night. He can't post for some reason.

Ken - It would be nice if you could join us more often. At least there is a lot of great backpacking close to you and we have a first class trip organizer/host upstate. People are willing to come to you.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Jack E. is in. on 12/18/2012 07:24:15 MST Print View

Per my phone message Dave, I am tentative. Also, this is the trip that I was putting together so if anyone was expressing interest in that one, this is one in the same

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Re: Jack E. is in on 12/18/2012 23:52:27 MST Print View

Yea I can post again, thanks Roger C. for all the help.

I'm in plus some friends, I think Adam Criswell, Brian Conrad, Andy Glass. Kevin Smith, and maybe a friend from work. Brian and Andy were the 2 guys that we met there 2 years ago in that blizzard, BRING ON THE SNOW!

I'll, keep you posted.

Jack

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 12/19/2012 15:04:16 MST Print View

Very interested for Saturday night, possibly +1. Are you planning on hiking in on Friday?

Adam Criswell
(macrophyllum) - F

Locale: Northern California
Re: Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 12/19/2012 17:07:31 MST Print View

Hi Guys,

I am totally in for this trip!

Adam C.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Re: Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 12/19/2012 19:56:06 MST Print View

Great group so far and more are still welcome.

Chris- I was thinking of taking Friday off or maybe working a half day and hiking or skiing in Friday. I am guessing most people are in for Saturday. Is anyone else interested in starting Friday?

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Re: Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 12/19/2012 20:13:24 MST Print View

I'm interested in hiking in on Fri., but just not possible. My son may be going also.

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Re: Dewey Pt on 12/19/2012 21:01:29 MST Print View

I'm interested In Saturday night, also possibly +1. Sounds like fun!

Andrew

Adam Criswell
(macrophyllum) - F

Locale: Northern California
Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13" on 12/19/2012 22:32:24 MST Print View

I would be interested in going in on Friday. I will see if I can get the day off.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13" on 12/20/2012 07:54:00 MST Print View

I'm interested on Friday but won't know more until the end of the month

Richard Niemi
(rickniemi) - F - M

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains
Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 12/23/2012 14:15:22 MST Print View

I missed last years fun in the snow at Dewey Pt so I'm going to give it another go.
It will be fun as always!
BTW - I'll be in Yosemite for New Years.

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
I might be down on 12/23/2012 16:19:31 MST Print View

I need to hurry up and get my gear... which santa is helping out with.

But I'd like to attend if there is room.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Re: I might be down on 12/23/2012 20:16:02 MST Print View

Definitely still room. Don't let a lack of gear stop you. I know a lot of people coming have two or three of everything and may be able to help. Just post what you think you need to borrow.

Bruce Tolley
(btolley)

bear canisters in winter inYosemite on 12/23/2012 21:58:54 MST Print View

Two years ago I talked to the ranger at the A frame hut at Badger Pass about this topic. The permit requires you to take proper care with food storage but as of 2010 did not require the Bear canisters. the Yosemite bears as well as other critters are active during the winter. We used OP sacks and buried our food away from the tents just in case.

The permit also prohibits the gathering and burning of wood.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 12/23/2012 22:42:56 MST Print View

David, can we find out how many people are allowed to actually go i.e.. quota. We may hike in late Fri. on your permit. I don't want to get there Sat. morning to find out that the quota has been filled already. Our head count is around 12-13 right now. I think my son wants to go also, he's never been winter hiking so I'll have to lend him some gear. If you call, will they give you the quota number for Dewy Point?

Jack

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Meetup - Yosemite Snowshoe/Ski to Dewey Pt. - Jan. 11-13 on 12/24/2012 07:59:02 MST Print View

Hey guys, looks like I am out unfortunately. I just started a second job and I have to work. Have fun!