Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Esbit Burner on 12/15/2012 09:47:23 MST Print View

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/esbit-esbitmizer.php

The esbitmizer is made of lightweight steel = 15 grams

It has a capacity of holding 2 esbit brand solid fuel cubes. = 3"x1.75"x0.5"

It has a sliding lid that is used as a simmer feature when wanting to control flame size.

The burner comes with 2 pieces of carbon felt cut to fit into the tin if alcohol fuel is used. The felt absorbs and holds 1 ounce of fuel in suspension. Won't spill out if tipped over. 3 ziplock style plastic bags to contain the items.

2 esbit brand cubes are included so you can do some test burns as soon as you unpack the burner.

Watch the videos for instructions on how to use the burner.

NO INTERNATIONAL ORDERS AT THIS TIME (sorry bout that)

Total Cost to include shipping is $12.00

Read all about how the esbitmizer came into being what it is today at www.bplite.com

http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5511

What you see in this photo is what is offered for the total cost of $12.00

<center>

</center>

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

INTERNATIONAL ORDERS SUSPENDED on 12/29/2012 21:00:01 MST Print View

I got some interesting feedback on the ability to simmer with the Esbitmizer:

>"Spork"

I’ve been playing with my Esbitmizer under a canteen cup stand. First up is Onion soup with Lentils and Ham.

Loaded up with 2 Coghlan’s tabs placed on edge. I do this because they produce an ash which interferes with complete combustion of the tablet. Positioning them on edge lets them burn more completely. They were enough to almost bring 2.5 cups of water and a half cup of lentils to a boil in the small Mors pot. I added tabs 3 and 4 in succession to cook the lentils until they were tender.

The 5th tab was partially covered with the sliding lid for a simmer flame. Half a package of Lipton Onion Soup and some diced ham was added to the pot. I did start a 6th tab, but it was only partially burned when I decided the soup was ready.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attach...7&d=1356563294

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attach...8&d=1356563295

It seems like six tablets might be a lot, but I figure 2 Coghlan’s tabs are the equivalent of one Esbit. Also when I cleared the ash out of the tin, I found about one tablet’s worth of unburned fuel. That’s a shortcoming of the Coghlan’s tabs…Esbits usually burn much more completely.

2.5 cups of water (by the soup instructions it should be 2 cups, but the additional water makes up for the additional saltyness from the meat. Adjust to suit)
0.5 cup of lentils
Half a package of Lipton onion soup mix
Diced Ham or Kielbasa

Fresh ground black pepper on top before eating.
12-26-2012, 07:16 PMSpork
Next test was the alcohol function. The canteen cup stand again with a Moka pot…about 5 ounces of water. I lit it up with the lid open about the width of an Esbit tablet. The coffee was done brewing in about 5 minutes (which is normal on a stove). I had filled the Esbitmizer with an ounce of fuel and it was still burning…so I swapped the Moka pot with a canteen cup and 8 oz of water. It was only enough to get the water lukewarm.

I was hoping to get the coffee brewed and enough hot water for instant oatmeal. Next time the strategy will be to put out the Esbitmizer once the coffee has brewed; add another ½ ounce of alcohol (after letting it cool a bit) and relight for the water.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attach...9&d=1356563295

Note: clean the tablet residue out of the tin before using the carbon felt pads. The bottom pad got crudded up a bit because I didn’t do that after making the soup. It did clean off, but it was a nuisance.
12-26-2012, 07:21 PMSpork
Last test…real rice in a canteen cup using Esbit.

I loaded up the tin with both tabs, placing the second tab back as far as it would go, leaving the forward tab exposed.

1/2 cup of long grain rice, washed
3/4 cup of water

One tab was enough to get to a boil (partially covered) and for the water to start reducing until the rice was starting to crater (uncovered otherwise you’ll get boil-over). The second tab was pushed forward and ignited by what remained by the first. The Esbitmizer was opened just enough to maintain a simmer flame and the canteen cup covered for 15 minutes. I moved the lid back twice in small increments to maintain the flame.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attach...0&d=1356563848

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attach...1&d=1356563849

It took only about one and a half tablets to make a serving of rice...enough for a base under stew or a curry.
12-27-2012, 12:06 AMzelph
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Spork
I was thinking about having it extend out of the feed port of the stand loaded with 2 tablets in simmer mode. Might have to remove the lid to bring the second tab into play. If I can bring 1.5 cups to a boil and sustain a simmer for 15 minutes, I'd be able to cook a cup of rice on maybe three tablets.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Above are your projected thoughts of what it might take to cook up some rice.

Below are the actual amount of fuel used:

Quote:

Last test…real rice in a canteen cup using Esbit.

I loaded up the tin with both tabs, placing the second tab back as far as it would go, leaving the forward tab exposed.

1/2 cup of long grain rice, washed
3/4 cup of water

One tab was enough to get to a boil (partially covered) and for the water to start reducing until the rice was starting to crater (uncovered otherwise you’ll get boil-over). The second tab was pushed forward and ignited by what remained by the first. The Esbitmizer was opened just enough to maintain a simmer flame and the canteen cup covered for 15 minutes. I moved the lid back twice in small increments to maintain the flame.

It took only about one and a half tablets to make a serving of rice...enough for a base under stew or a curry.

It seems as if the Esbitmizer worked well for you in both soup and rice applications.

Was there a large amount of air being drafted over the Esbitmizer while setting in the entrance under the pot support?

Are you able to slide the Esbitmizer under the pot support with fuel tabs standing on edge?

Were you able to see the flames well through the holes in order to know when to adjust the simmer lid?

Your photos are excellent and the test data is precise and clear. Thank you very much for your time and effort.
12-27-2012, 12:54 AMSpork
My original estimate about cooking rice was based on 1 cup of raw rice and 1.5 cups of water. I halved that because I thought the canteen cup was too small to handle the full amount. Yes, I was actually very surprised at how much fuel was left...it was actually miserly.

Was there a large amount of air being drafted over the Esbitmizer while setting in the entrance under the pot support?

-Not any more than normal (putting a tablet on the ground), I could see the flames leaning towards the vents at times though. There was some flame out of the vent holes, but using a fan grill to raise the cup creates a gap so the draw is more vertical. If the canteen cup is inserted in the stand (as normal) the draft is normally greater like a hobo stove and more flame and heat escape through the vent holes.

Are you able to slide the Esbitmizer under the pot support with fuel tabs standing on edge?

-Yes, the feed port is high enough to do that. In fact when feeding additional Coglan's tablets, I just placed them flat on the lid and pushed them inside with a knife blade and they would tip into the burn chamber.

Were you able to see the flames well through the holes in order to know when to adjust the simmer lid?

-Yes, because the cup was raised with the computer fan grill there is enough gap to look inside.

The ability to moderate the burn rate really adds a new dimension to using solid fuel tablets, I really like this setup. Good Job Zelph :dblthumb:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read more here: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/81183-Esbit-Esbitmizer-solid-fuel-and-alcohol-burner

Edited by zelph on 01/28/2013 20:13:25 MST.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

INTERNATIONAL ORDERS on 01/28/2013 20:20:25 MST Print View

International Orders have been suspended for all items due to a unreal increase in rates.

As an example, I shiped an order for a esbitmizer to Canada today. Actual shipping cost for the 2.5 ounce envelope was $7.35

5.5 ounce box to Israel cost $12.75

7 oz box to Switzerland cost $12.75

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Esbit Burner on 03/19/2013 20:15:38 MDT Print View

The Esbitmizers are now back in stock. Sorry for the delay.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Esbit Burner on 04/03/2013 11:27:05 MDT Print View

Recently got some feed back from a user of the Esbitmizer. Bushcraftusa.com has quite a few users and enjoy how easy it is to simmer with solid fuel.

quote:
GrandLarsony
Just wanted to give this a bump and add my experience... suffice to say that everything Spork notes above is correct and accurate (as always).

This isn't a review... but I finally got around to using this recently and for both Esbit and alcohol the Esbitmizer is pretty cool. It's idiot proof and very efficient with both fuels. Like Spork, I really appreciated being able to control the output.

I used a similar USGI canteen setup, a coffee-can hobo stove with Stanley pot or an IMUSA mug, and a folding Esbit stove with 20 oz. SS Boy Scout type pot and also with a 7" nonstick frypan. Cooked a variety of stuff like rices, noodles, hot water, and fried spam & eggs. All worked great, no complaints at all. Couldn't be happier. Each of the three support\windscreen setups worked just fine.

I also have a Trangia and -- for $3 less, no less -- I prefer this unit for most of my applications (no waiting for, or wasted fuel for, the "bloom" as with many alcohol stoves). It's considerably smaller\lighter, too.

The stove fits into the side pocket of a Molle Canteen\Utility carrier (with either 2 Esbits or the carbon felt alcohol pads inside) and still has room for a full size BIC. The other side pouch holds 4 more Esbit tabs. With an 8 oz alcohol bottle elsewhere in your bag, you'd be set for a full weekend of simple cooking... with nearly everything neatly contained in a USGI canteen pouch (and you need that for water anyhow). Not bad in my book.

Thanks again Zelph !!