Forum Index » Chaff » Newtown

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 01/31/2013 19:40:29 MST Print View

>"It ain't the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end....."

Somehow that reminds me of a pilots' saying, "Take offs should equal landings."

Which in turn reminds me of a (true) trivia question, "Why has Air Force 1 taken off one more time than it's landed?"

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 01/31/2013 19:53:39 MST Print View

"Why has Air Force 1 taken off one more time than it's landed?"

President Obama is currently going some place?

(I just like saying "President Obama")

Some president died while in flight?

"Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people."

The best humour has a grain of truth to it.

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 01/31/2013 20:22:29 MST Print View

My first thought was 1963, but that was more likely to have made for an extra landing.

(Not posting the answer since I had to look it up, but it doesn't involve a death, or Obama.)

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Re: Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 01/31/2013 22:47:48 MST Print View

Hint:
Air Force One is the designation for the Airplane when the president is on it. So if there is not a president on board it's call sign is no longer Air Force One.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 01/31/2013 23:03:30 MST Print View

Daniel has provided an accurate, relevant factoid.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 01/31/2013 23:05:37 MST Print View

President Obama is currently going some place?

Jerry, when that is true, the Air Force has 2 more take offs than landings.

>Some president died while in flight?

Something did occur during the flight. It has only occurred once in USA history.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 01/31/2013 23:11:53 MST Print View

Kennedy's last flight landed, so that's the same number of landings as takeoffs

Johnson was sworn in in flight. So when he took off it was air force 2, but when it landed it was air force 1

Isn't air force 1 the plane that's transporting the president and air force 2 the one carry the vice president?

I could google it but that would spoil David's fun

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 01/31/2013 23:12:49 MST Print View

Next clue: Checkers.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 01/31/2013 23:14:38 MST Print View

Maybe air force 1 took off with Kennedy's body, then Johnson was sworn in so that plane was no longer air force 1?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 01/31/2013 23:18:41 MST Print View

Not Kennedy, Jerry. Try a little later in history.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 01/31/2013 23:20:36 MST Print View

No, the plane took off with Kennedy's body, Johnson (and Jackie) - Johnson wasn't sworn in yet so maybe Kennedy was still officially president so that would have been air force 1. Then Johnson was sworn in with Jackie in the background in iconic photo, and then the plane landed but it would be air force 1 at that point.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 01/31/2013 23:22:43 MST Print View

Okay - checkers - that would be Nixon

He must have taken off as president, then Ford sworn in...

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 02/01/2013 09:40:51 MST Print View

Jerry's got it - Nixon resigned effective the next day at noon on August 9, 1974. He was on Air Force flying to California at noon, Ford took his oath of office back in DC, and that jet plane was no longer Air Force 1 when it landed.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 02/01/2013 11:16:56 MST Print View

Prize?

At least we're not having a flame war about gun control?

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 02/01/2013 12:59:22 MST Print View

Reminds me of my elderly neighbor who flew 26 1/2 bombing missions over poland and germany in WW2. He had to walk
home once.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Ancient town on 02/01/2013 13:16:35 MST Print View

You probably smile when you see those uneducated foreigners whipping themselves into a frenzy.
You probably smile when you hear about 'terrorists' blowing themselves up because they think they are about to be rewarded with countless virgins in paradise.
I smile when i see anti-Darwinism being taught in US schools.
I smile when i see US creationism theme parks on the TV.
Give everyone in the US guns. :-)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Ancient town on 02/01/2013 13:36:38 MST Print View

"I smile when i see anti-Darwinism being taught in US schools"

Not universally true. Maybe in Mississippi.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Re: Jokes don't humor people. Punchlines humor people. on 02/01/2013 14:14:51 MST Print View

>Prize?

>At least we're not having a flame war about gun control?

Exactly. Thread drift is not always a bad thing.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Newtown Board of Education-voted to put armed guards in its schools on 02/01/2013 15:10:35 MST Print View

"Today the Newtown Board of Education made the only choice any parent can: It voted to put armed guards in its schools:"

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/02/01/Newtown-Votes-To-Put-Armed-Guards-In-Schools

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Ancient town on 02/01/2013 17:23:56 MST Print View

"I smile when i see anti-Darwinism being taught in US schools."

Fear not, Mike. Darwinism is alive and well in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. To reach a wider audience, they're holding outdoor seminars these days:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/01/sports/snowmobile-rider-caleb-moore-dies-from-x-games-injuries.html?_r=0

"Give everyone in the US guns."

Gotta prepare all them Christian Soldiers for Armageddon, old boy. It's gonna make the Gunfight at the OK Corral seem like a water pistol fight. Stay tuned, it's coming soon to a big screen near you. ;0)

Edited by ouzel on 02/01/2013 17:25:21 MST.