An Introduction to Nordic and Backcountry Ski Gear
Display Avatars Sort By:
Velimir Kemec
(velimirkemec) - F
another ski boot q on 12/17/2012 15:50:04 MST Print View

Hi,
Been following the thread and just wanted to ask about the BC boot fit as well. Today I went to check Alpina BC 2250 boots out at my local Alpina store and had few sizes to try from. My regular foot size (US 10) was way to small and tight in the forefoot (I have very wide feet) next size up felt much better and relaxed across the forefoot so I felt comfortable wearing them with two pairs of socks. Next size up was way to big and boots felt sloppy on my feet. What I noted with the boot that seemed to be the right lenght is that I had some heel slippage. It was hard to lock the heel in with regular knot so I had to use the heel locking knot I use on my running, hiking shoes to lock the heel in, but there was still slight movement after that as weel.

Is it normal to have some heel slippage in BC boots or there should be zero heel up and down movement with boots on? Rubbing=blisters! Or simply boots don't fit? I am totaly new to the BC skiing sport and would like to buy my first set of BC skiing equipment so any tip will help.
Thanks!

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: another ski boot q on 12/17/2012 15:59:14 MST Print View

That's not normal, Velimir. It is probably just the particular nature of the boot and your foot. One thing you might try is using a custom insert (one of those heat moldable ones). I did that with a BC boot and it went from being OK to being great.

Velimir Kemec
(velimirkemec) - F
Nordic BC boot on 12/18/2012 12:45:28 MST Print View

Thanks Ross! Which heat moldable inserts you've used. I did try Fischer boots as well but they are just to narrow in the forefoot. I would like to fit the Alpina if that's possible with simple inserts. It might be that original Alpina inserts are a bit to high and my heel gets above heel cup. Will try to take the original inserts out.

Does Thinsulate insulation used in nordic BC boots get all compressed with years of use so the boots are getting bigger by the end of their lifespan? Do boots form to the foot shape after few uses? I meant like in leather boots when they get foot form shape after you brake them in.

Thanks.
Regards!

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: Nordic BC boot on 12/18/2012 12:55:29 MST Print View

I haven't noticed any compression of the thinsulate. I don't think it is like leather. I don't think it will fit very differently in the future. Generally speaking, a lot of these boots are very similar to plain Nordic boots (non-BC) except they have some plastic that surrounds them (and adds support). It varies, of course, as some of the boots have plenty of leather (and will confirm as you suggest). I haven't noticed any difference in fit with my plain Nordic or Nordic BC boots.

One thing I have heard is that the moldable inner boot on a plastic boot with compress over time. As you put pressure on the sides, it loosens up. I don't have personal experience with it (never owned a pair long enough) but that is what I've heard.

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Spelling on 12/22/2012 18:50:36 MST Print View

Nice to see the article.

May I suggest "representative" rather than "reprentative"?