Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
BPL Montana Winter Rendezvous
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: footwear/socks on 03/10/2013 20:09:37 MDT Print View

I have never had wet feet using the Rocky socks, they seal well around the ankle.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: footwear/socks on 03/10/2013 20:18:02 MDT Print View

I'm not much for Goretex footwear, but I plan on wearing Goretex mids (Montrail Badrocks) w/ a really thin merino liner and a heavier weight merino sock

I'll have down booties/overboots for camp, the overboots are sized that in a pinch I can wear them over my mids as well as an additional layer

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: footwear/socks on 03/10/2013 23:50:53 MDT Print View

I think that even if your feet get wet, the gore tex socks will keep them warmer than hydroskins in the snow. Hydroskins are best for wading around water.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: shoes and socks on 03/11/2013 09:47:36 MDT Print View

I'll almost certainly be wearing leather 3 pin ski boots.

Waterproof socks would probably keep your feet a bit warmer than Hydroskins while snowshoeing, though the problem with the spring conditions we had this weekend is that your shoes will still get soaked. You'll have dry them each night or keep them from freezing overnight, and even so wet shoes will suck heat from your feet. Actual waterproof shoes are probably a bit warmer, all things being equal.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

weather on 03/15/2013 08:17:50 MDT Print View

a week out (subject to change, especially in March!) looks pretty good- forecast for Lincoln 23rd 51/28- mostly cloudy, 24th 54/30-passing shower, 25th 54/31-morning flurry; elevation at LIncoln is 4500'

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: weather on 03/15/2013 09:16:58 MDT Print View

Based on the warm and sunny weather we've had recently I'm fairly sure we'll see some dry dirt in the first 10 miles.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

meet up place and time? on 03/17/2013 08:04:56 MDT Print View

Dave- what time and where do you want to meet up on Saturday? Is everyone still staying in Missoula Friday night, there is a Starbucks on the north side of I-90 on Reserve St if we wanted to grab a cup before hitting the road?????

Also looks like most of the state is expecting some snow the next couple of days, so might be less of that brown stuff :)

Mike

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Wet feet on 03/17/2013 13:14:04 MDT Print View

Great tips about dealing with cold wet conditions, hope to see some lessons learned afterward. Looks like a great group and a fun trip, have a blast!!

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: meet up place and time? on 03/17/2013 15:50:13 MDT Print View

According to the radar, our route is getting some snow right now.

I officially have the day off now, and so long as I can get all these papers graded before Thursday, I'm in. I may have a friend coming for one night too. I should know in the next day or two if he's in.

Getting excited. I need this trip. Now, I need to go work out and grade a lot of papers.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

lessons on 03/17/2013 18:29:49 MDT Print View

Adan- hopefully lessons not as hard earned as our last adventure, I've got the boss with me this time! :)

Clayton- hope you can make it, should be a dandy!

Mike

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

meet up time/place on 03/19/2013 19:34:12 MDT Print View

Dave- you don't have email turned on, so hopefully you'll post here soon :)

Mike

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: meet up time/place on 03/19/2013 19:56:38 MDT Print View

Have great trips guys, I hope I can make the next one out west.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: meet up time and place on 03/20/2013 07:40:23 MDT Print View

I'm saying 930 at the Monture TH. Forecast actually looks wintery!

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: re: meet up time and place on 03/20/2013 09:08:24 MDT Print View

that'll work :)

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Winter trip on 03/20/2013 22:34:30 MDT Print View

I very much regret that I must withdraw. I have a business matter that I thought would be resolved by now that will require constant attention - mostly waiting - over the weekend. This is an important personal matter that has consumed me for over a year and I cannot defer these discussions.

I look forward to the next trip and wish you a great trek. Looks like you'll get some snow.

Richard

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Winter trip on 03/22/2013 08:01:33 MDT Print View

sadly after a 1000 mile drive yesterday, I'm back in Miles City- was in Missoula for just over an hour before I got an urgent call, got home at 2:30 AM :(

I hope you guys still do the trip, have fun and be safe!

Mike

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

BPL trip on 03/22/2013 10:07:55 MDT Print View

At this point everyone who's expressed interest is out or on the fence. If there are any lurkers out there, speak now or you might find an empty TH.

David Adair
(DavidAdair) - M

Locale: West Dakota
Re: BPL trip on 03/22/2013 10:45:46 MDT Print View

Yep, I seem to have all sorts of things conspiring against my getting to go as well. So no problem, I am out.