Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » BPL Montana Winter Rendezvous

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
BPL Montana Winter Rendezvous on 02/05/2013 18:57:53 MST Print View

This trip sounds like a lot of fun and great opportunity to brush up on/improve winter camping skills.

I've been watching the thread with interest from the beginning but hadn't really given much thought to trying to attend until recently.

It's still very much up in the air for me, maybe 50-50 at this point, but I've looking at airfare, checking my co-workers vacation schedules, etc. I'm out by Craig W, so I'd be coming from LAX and would be reliant upon others for a ride to/from the airport in Missoula or Bozeman or peraps teaming up with others for a rental or something like that.

Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there that this is on my radar (assuming there's still room for me).

-Nick

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: BPL Montana Winter Rendezvous on 02/05/2013 19:15:18 MST Print View

Nick--I'm probably 60-40 toward coming, and I'll be driving in from Kalispell. I should have room so long as I can make it.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: BPL Montana Winter Rendezvous on 02/05/2013 22:58:12 MST Print View

Looks like I'm out on this one- too much going on, too little time and not enough leg power this early in the season (or late as the case may be).
I really wanted to do this one!
Hey, maybe I will go as far as the first fishing hole and stay there for the whole trip.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Transportation on 02/06/2013 08:38:46 MST Print View

I can take a few people from either Bozeman, where I live, or Missoula, which can be along the drive to the trailhead.

Dave, I'm far more comfortable on tele skis than Nordic, but they're heavy and would probably slow me down to the point of not being able to keep up. (Like Doug, I'm old and fat.) Do you plan on more than one group to take account of differing fitness levels?

Richard

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: skis and snowshoes on 02/06/2013 09:24:59 MST Print View

The picture will become clear once we get closer to the date and people commit, but I'm assuming we'll have fixed campsites and multiple groups going their own pace, then meeting up in the evening. In short, bring the oversnow gear you're most comfortable with and don't worry about it.

I don't even own snowshoes at the moment, and will decide on ski/boot combo the week of when conditions become clear. Might even be some dry dirt walking in the Dry Fork Valley.

Edited by DaveC on 02/06/2013 09:25:27 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Re: re: skis and snowshoes on 02/19/2013 13:34:10 MST Print View

Guys,

I am going to have to pass on this because of work.

Have a great trip.

Stephen

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: re: skis and snowshoes on 02/19/2013 20:56:00 MST Print View

sorry to hear that- next time! :)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: re: skis and snowshoes on 02/20/2013 18:13:50 MST Print View

Cheers Mike,

I will try my best for the next trip.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
I'm out. on 02/20/2013 19:28:10 MST Print View

I wish it was one day later...It really looks bad calling a substitute teacher on the Friday before a two week break begins. With further thought, I just can't take that day off without catching some flak.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Route on 02/23/2013 12:59:32 MST Print View

I mapped the route out on Hillmap.com (linked here). It looks like it will be right at 26.6 miles give or take.

Double-check me--did I get it right?

Edited by GlacierRambler on 02/23/2013 13:00:17 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

distance on 02/23/2013 14:41:48 MST Print View

that sounds about right, I think I came up w/ 25.8, so definitely right in the ballpark :)

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: date approaching for MT trip on 02/23/2013 16:46:25 MST Print View

Craig you should just come out do the Bob Open in May. I'll take the week off and we can do the grand scenic tour.

Clayton, that map is dead on. Nice.

My tentative plan is to have everyone meet at the Monture TH Saturday AM. Figure out and run the shuttle (i.e. leave one car there) and get hiking. Probably camp at the confluence of the main North Fork and Dry Fork. Should be dry dirt, flowing water, and the side trip to North Fork Falls is worthwhile. Second camp should be at Canyon or Camp Lakes, which I'm sure will be frozen. Count on melting snow that night, but most of that forest burned in the last decade so there should be wood to harvest for fire. Early start for the journey over the pass and back to Monture. The only avy exposure will be crossing a few chutes on the far side of Camp Pass. We won't be in a trigger zone, and it would have to be a huge event to run that far, so being on the move in the cool of the morning almost guarantees zero exposure.

Final head count?

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Re: re: date approaching for MT trip on 02/23/2013 22:29:10 MST Print View

So, according to Cairn topographic map, it will be about 10.5 miles to the first camp with 600-700 feet of elevation gain over those miles. From there, it looks like it's another 5 miles to Canyon Lake and 2 miles beyond that to Camp Lake. Camp Lake seems like the best choice, especially as it's about 500 feet higher than Canyon Lake, giving a better start in the morning up to Camp Pass.

At this point I'm about 70-30 toward going. I've got some work things to resolve (the Quarter ends that Friday, and my kids will have essays due around that time). That seems to be the main thing holding me up, but I'm hopeful I can work it out.

What condition will the roads to the trailhead be in? If I drive, it will be in a Toyota Prius, and while I've gotten it into a lot of places you'd never expect a Prius, it's not a 4x4.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

final head count on 02/24/2013 16:17:14 MST Print View

barring an emergency my wife (Jan) and I will be going

I've got a 4 door Tacoma that can hold 4 comfortably, 5 in a pinch

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: MT trip on 02/26/2013 10:14:30 MST Print View

The confluence is only 6-7 miles in, so the first day will be shorter.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

re: footwear/socks on 03/10/2013 19:10:38 MDT Print View

What are you guys planning on doing for footwear choices?

I have a pair of Inov-8 Trailroc 255s that I quite love, but they have a lot of mesh, which easily gets soaked and then soaks my NRS Hydroskin socks. They're great until I stop moving, then my feet get cold fast. Same for the morning--I have to pack up and start moving before I can feel my toes again. I took them out last night and was able to dry them by the fire, but I've been considering picking up a pair of GTX socks for colder conditions.

Any ideas?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: re: footwear/socks on 03/10/2013 19:43:58 MDT Print View

I have had good experiences with Rocky Goretex socks.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Re: re: footwear/socks on 03/10/2013 19:45:21 MDT Print View

and I had a very bad experience with Hydroskins in the snow.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: re: footwear/socks on 03/10/2013 19:51:16 MDT Print View

Are hydroskins breathable?

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: re: footwear/socks on 03/10/2013 19:54:10 MDT Print View

Hydroskins are fairly breathable, but like I said, they stop insulating when you stop moving. I don't mind wet feet, but I'm trying to avoid being so cold. It took about 30-40 minutes of hiking this morning to restore feeling in my right toes, and that was putting the socks on dry in the morning. They just didn't warm up while breaking camp (and they got soaked pretty quickly once the frozen water from my shoes warmed up enough to melt into them).