Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tikka XP2 CORE
Display Avatars Sort By:
Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - MLife

Locale: Western Washington
Tikka XP2 CORE on 12/08/2012 16:00:48 MST Print View

Anybody here tried one of these? I like the notion of a rechargeable battery pack, rather than burning through batteries. I've had a Petzl e+lite, and it's ok for emergency use, but for actual trail finding I haven't been that impressed, and find it a little uncomfortable to wear for long periods. The Tikka line in general seems well thought of, but I wondered if the CORE rechargeable battery pack performed as it should.

Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

It's great ! on 12/08/2012 20:56:05 MST Print View

I really like mine. I have the Tikka XP w/ the core and use it both for evening trail running (80 lumens) and for backpacking (used it for a recent 11 day hike of the Northern Long Trail and also for some quick trips locally). Programable via a free app from Petzl that you install on either a PC or a Mac that lets you adjust the regulated lighting output. Very handy and a great light. I also have the eLite and really only carry it for a trip when I don't really plan on using it.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - MLife

Locale: Western Washington
Programmable? on 12/10/2012 18:27:47 MST Print View

Good heavens, I don't know what I'd do with that feature--you'd have to know what to tell the thing to do, and I really have no idea.

I've seen folks talk about regulated light, etc, and don't know what they're talking about. Any good resources?

Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

Here you go on 12/10/2012 18:41:19 MST Print View

Here is the info:

It is pretty straight forward to use, and even if you never change any settings (via the computer program) its nice to always know you're leaving for the night with a full charge.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Tikka XP2 CORE on 12/10/2012 19:01:23 MST Print View

I got one a bit ago, i haven't played with different settings but i DO like that I can look on there and see what % charge i have left. And that i don't have to get new batteries.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Mixed Bag on 12/11/2012 07:44:57 MST Print View

I like it. I have the Tikka Plus 2 with the CORE battery pack.

-I set the main mode to blast all 90 lumens, so I have a very strong light when I need it.
-I set the economy mode to as close to the lowest amount of light as I can, so I can have it last as long as possible outdoors.

After playing around with the settings, I found I liked having the headlamp do those two things perfectly. Very handy. The charge doesn't last quite as long as three AAA batteries, but it's close. I can carry spare batteries in the field and replace the CORE on a whim, though, I am a little worried I might crack something if I try to remove the CORE in the dark. I suggest practicing it once.

Also, you can buy the Tikka 2 Plus at EMS for cheap (31$ for me) and then buy the CORE separately, and it'll cost you less altogether than buying the one that comes with the CORE.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Tikka XP2 CORE on 12/11/2012 22:13:03 MST Print View

I don't own the XP2 + Core, but I have borrowed one a couple of months ago. The UI was good and it seemed to work pretty well. I rejoice that there is FINALLY a regulated option for the XP2. The settings I tried was max, 15 lumens, and then I used the red LED for minimal lighting. It was ok, but I prefer my Zebralight H51 which goes brighter and gives me white light for the lowest setting.