Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Winter biking gloves??
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Winter biking gloves?? on 12/06/2012 09:05:34 MST Print View

I'm new to bike commuting...and this will be my first Chicago winter. Yeah!! I know this isn't a commuting site, but you guys always have such great ideas I thought I'd ask: what do you suggest for gloves when the temps dip??

My "commute" is only 2 miles, so my biggest problem is that I really don't have time to actually warm up. I start to feel toasty about 2 blocks from my destination.

I've been using a pair of REI softshell gloves that have worked just fine in light rain and fall temps, but as the weather starts falling below freezing they just aren't going to cut it.

What do you use for your winter hand protection?? How many layers, which ones...so many choices!!!!

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Lobster on 12/06/2012 09:27:30 MST Print View

My trail riding friends use lobster gloves.
(Wow, biking riding in Chicago -- I wish you well)

Greg Wheelwright
(gdw) - M
empirecanvasworks on 12/06/2012 11:58:41 MST Print View

These might be overkill but they are the best:
http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/icebikemittens.htm

William Bump
(Duderad)
Big ol' wool mittens on 11/26/2013 10:20:59 MST Print View

I'e had good luck the last two winters with a pair of big puffy wool mitten/fingerless combination gloves I got for ten bucks at a sporting goods store.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Moose Mitts on 11/26/2013 13:22:41 MST Print View

http://www.trails-edge.com/product/13trails-edge-moose-mitts-flat-bar-676.htm

They also make a version for drop-bars.

Bill Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
Re: Winter biking gloves?? on 11/28/2013 19:09:48 MST Print View

A pair of well-insulated lobster gloves (mine are Pearl Izumi), over-sized, with glove liners underneath. Keep warm!

Cheers,

Bill

Steve G
(sgrobben)

Locale: Ohio
Re: Re: Winter biking gloves?? on 11/28/2013 20:07:55 MST Print View

+1 for lobster style gloves. Mitten-like warmth but with the dexterity needed to operate controls.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: Winter biking gloves?? on 12/01/2013 16:01:05 MST Print View

I wear DeFeet wool gloves with Gore tex mitten shells over them. still plenty of dexterity to shift, brake etc.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
gloves for biking on 12/29/2013 00:08:05 MST Print View

Hi Jennifer!

What is your shifting setup? If you have bar-end shifters, or thumb shifters, then mittens might be the way to go.
Here in Boston, I've been riding exclusively with Outdoor Research PL-400 gloves when its 20 degrees and above. When its below that, I switch over to the PL-400 mittens. Neither offer much in terms of wind-resistance, so if its really frigid, I layer a thin waterproof or wind shell over them. REI sells a novara brand lobster glove that also works really well, but its pretty bike specific and bulky. Personally, I just like to use my backpacking gear for cycling.