November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Fleece vs. long underwear sleeping baselayer
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bradford Childs
(Ford22) - F
Fleece vs. long underwear sleeping baselayer on 12/05/2012 11:32:42 MST Print View

I typically bring a pair of long underwear bottoms for 3-season hiking. They provide needed warmth for sleeping when layered under nylon hiking pants and as something to sleep in if my hiking pants get wet from rain. However, today I weighed them and discovered they are exactly the same weight (8.5 oz) as some fleece pants.

My question: Is fleece warmer than semi-tight long underwear bottoms when worn as a base layer?

The long underwear are Hot Chilly's Expedition weight, dense, and have some obvious spandex quality to them. The fleece pants are very similar to these (

Brendan S
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: Fleece vs. long underwear sleeping baselayer on 12/05/2012 11:48:08 MST Print View

I had a similar revelation last winter when I made some powerstretch tights and found them to be an ounce lighter than my Cap 2 bottoms. They're quite a bit warmer and are great on their own in cold weather. Except in warm weather, I take the PS tights.