Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
My nomination for the 2012 Darwin Award
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
My nomination for the 2012 Darwin Award on 12/04/2012 14:41:04 MST Print View

My candidate is Edward Archbold. I invite all others to submit their nominations, but I think this one is going to be hard to beat.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57528362/fla-bug-eating-contest-winner-dies-afterwards/

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: My nomination for the 2012 Darwin Award on 12/04/2012 15:24:43 MST Print View

That is a strange and tragic story but I am not clear where Mr. Archbold went wrong. How did he die? I regularly see food experts advocate eating insects as a sustainable form of Protein. Survivalists are regularly putting them away on their TV shows. I understand insects are regularly consumed in some eastern cultures.

Someone help me out here or I may nominated for an award next year.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: My nomination for the 2012 Darwin Award on 12/04/2012 16:51:07 MST Print View

"Someone help me out here or I may nominated for an award next year."

I can only refer you to Aristotle. Something about everything in moderation.....

On second thought, another insight: It is probably better to eat your cockroaches slowly. Cooked. ;0)

If, in spite of the above advice, you are nominated next year, the committee shall give your nomination the consideration it deserves, with extra points awarded for being a member of BPL in good standing.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: My nomination for the 2012 Darwin Award on 12/04/2012 17:06:46 MST Print View

When Aristotle was articulating his concept of the virtuous man, he probably was not considering participants in a roach eating contest with a python for a prize.

I can't guarantee I won't be nominated but I can assure you it will not be for over consumption of roaches.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: My nomination for the 2012 Darwin Award on 12/04/2012 17:43:18 MST Print View

"When Aristotle was articulating his concept of the virtuous man, he probably was not considering participants in a roach eating contest with a python for a prize."

True enough, but the Greeks were quite creative when it came to excess, else he wouldn't have felt the need to articulate his concept of the virtuous man. It would have been superfluous. Instead, he could have turned his considerable genius to inventing calculus, and the Greeks would have had the atomic bomb in time to nuke the Romans, thereby changing the course of history.

"I can't guarantee I won't be nominated but I can assure you it will not be for over consumption of roaches."

I think we all live in secret fear of standing on the podium when the Award is given, hence the gallows humor that surrounds those unfortunate winners. But, yeah,
risking death by roach mediated bulemia is not for the faint of heart, and definitely inspired.

Looking forward to meeting you at the award ceremony. ;)

Dave Stoller
(BreakingAway)
Darwin Awards on 12/04/2012 18:21:08 MST Print View

"I can't guarantee I won't be nominated but I can assure you it will not be for over consumption of roaches."

That's a bitchin' sentence.

I love sentences that are perfect but wouldn't pass muster with my high school english teacher.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: My nomination for the 2012 Darwin Award on 12/04/2012 21:54:41 MST Print View

@Tom:

A worthy nomination indeed -- but I think tourists who have pics taken of themselves with pythons draped around their necks will make the news one of these days!

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Darwin Awards on 12/04/2012 22:53:23 MST Print View

As a high school English (a-humph) teacher, it passes muster--in spades, assuming the correct comma is added for the coordinating conjunction.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: My nomination for the 2012 Darwin Award on 12/08/2012 19:24:36 MST Print View

Truely Darwinian, as he pruned his own DNA. And he can collect the award too.

Boy, 7, shot to death outside Pa. gun store

8:23PM EST December 8. 2012 - MERCER, Pa. (AP) — A man's handgun went off while he was holding it as he got into his truck in the parking lot of a western Pennsylvania gun store Saturday, and the shot killed his 7-year-old son, authorities said.

Joseph V. Loughrey, 44, of Sharpsville, was getting into the truck when the 9 mm handgun discharged, wounding Craig Allen Loughrey in the chest, according to state police. The boy died at the scene at Twigs Reloading Den in East Lackawannock Township, 60 miles north of Pittsburgh.

Investigators said Loughrey told them he didn't realize there was a bullet still in the chamber. "This happens all too often where people think the gun was empty," Lt. Eric Hermick told The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

A Recent Entry on 12/08/2012 21:22:30 MST Print View

"Lane and her boyfriend, Roderick Clifton, 44, became stranded on Nov. 29 while traveling from his home in the Sacramento suburb of Citrus Heights to her home in Gardnerville, Nev. Along the way, Clifton decided to test the four-wheel drive capability of his Jeep Cherokee and drove around a locked gate on a closed dirt road, Alpine County sheriff's officials said.

After traveling several miles, the vehicle got stuck in the mud and the two couldn't get it free, officials said. Clifton left the vehicle the next morning to get help. When he did not return after a couple of days, Lane left the Jeep as well. On her trek to safety, she came across his body"

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Snowbound-woman-survived-on-tomatoes-4100784.php#ixzz2EWU531b7

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

The competition on 12/09/2012 17:44:54 MST Print View

is heating up. It's going to be close, folks.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: My nomination for the 2012 Darwin Award on 12/09/2012 17:53:52 MST Print View

"but I think tourists who have pics taken of themselves with pythons draped around their necks will make the news one of these days!"

Given that the prize in the bug eating contest was a python, it is plausible that young Archbold may have been dreaming of going on to bigger things. The Decennial Darwin Award, perhaps?

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: A Recent Entry on 12/09/2012 18:50:22 MST Print View

Dave -- One question about
""Lane and her boyfriend, Roderick Clifton, 44, became stranded on Nov. 29 while traveling from his home in the Sacramento suburb of Citrus Heights to her home in Gardnerville..."
(BTW, this one was really good).

Did she get to keep the jeep?

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Re: A Recent Entry on 12/09/2012 19:01:32 MST Print View

I am guessing the Jeep is snowed in and will be stuck on the forest service road all winter.