Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Ultimate Direction SJ Vest Review
Display Avatars Sort By:
Emil Gazda
(Emilio)

Locale: Southeast
SJ on 01/11/2013 10:09:50 MST Print View

Luckily the UD email notification arrived timely and I was able to pick up the SJ in a medium yesterday. Very excited to try it out! I was torn between this and the PB. I hope the SJ can handle as much gear as I've read here. I have been eyeing this pack for an upcoming race that has a mandatory gear list. Hopefully the SJ can pack it all in, I just didn't want the PB to be overkill. Thanks for the info. Looking foward to reading a full review here.

Robert Burrell
(Buzz) - F - M
Signature Series on 01/11/2013 16:14:30 MST Print View

Thoughtful comments as always on BPL; sorry I can't follow them all!

Yes, the 2nd production run arrived and went on sale yesterday. "Like" Ultimate Direction on Facebook, or subscribe to our email list (from the website) to stay informed.

Currently, iRunFar, ZombieRunner, and RunningWarehouse are the online sources (besides our website).

They have been selling out; by late March the 4th production will arrive, and we'll be caught up.

The two construction issues were addressed for this production; anyone who had a problem with the first should contact "run@ultimatedirection.com" and request an RA; we are repairing them here in Longmont and flipping them back 2 days later.

Sizing/Capacity - the answer always starts with, "It depends ..." Sorry about that! But it does depend on the individual user ... some people carry a ton of stuff and some people don't. The AK Race Vest was designed from the sole parameter of being able to carry the Required Gear for the UTMB in the lightest possible pack ... it does that! And yet last night, Tony himself told me he would probably use Scott's vest at UTMB because it's easier to get stuff in and out ... so ...?

Women - the Signature Series is definitely uni-sex. Some women object to the bottles up front and most don't - again, their choice, not mine! (And, there will be an "Ultra Vesta" in one year :-)

Bigger - there is a possibility of a "Fastpack" next year - 20L is the sweet spot I think - not a "backpack", but able to carry either a rope and harness, or a little sleeping bag.

Mike - Pine Valley Peak goes w/o rope up the face you see on approach - but the exposure is serious (as you already know) - and one has to be comfortable with the infamous 'vertical sand' type of rock. And Jared and I are on for Zironman this year!

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
fastpack on 01/11/2013 16:44:51 MST Print View

that's good to hear :) I've been looking for a multi-day (2 or 3) running pack and there is not a lot out there, I agree 20-ish liters would be just about right

thanks

Russell S
(HikingMano)

Locale: Bay Area
Re: fastpack on 01/11/2013 16:50:59 MST Print View

Ditto on that! 20L would be perfect!! Maybe I should pick up the SJ after all right now, and hold out for the larger fastpack next year.