Womens Pack for ~30 lbs Loads
Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Womens Pack for ~30 lbs Loads on 12/04/2012 11:13:16 MST Print View

My girlfriend is in the market for a pack to use with a loaded bear canister, which would probably put the total pack weight at around 25-30 lbs. So, in addition to being able to carry the weight, it would also need to fit the canister (BV500) comfortably. She was previously using the Osprey Exos 58, but she just didn't like the way it carried. Comfort is a higher priority than weight as long as it's reasonably light. Any suggestions?

Christopher Kuzak
(KC)
Maybe try on a few packs on 12/04/2012 12:44:05 MST Print View

You may want to go to REI and just try on packs. Maybe start with the Aether series by Osprey. It's pretty popular and known to carry weight well. The 60 is the smaller size but is big enough for a canister. There are other good standard packs out there too. It's just tough to know what works until you try it out.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Re: Maybe try on a few packs on 12/04/2012 13:16:53 MST Print View

Absolutely. There are a few contenders at REI that we plan to try out. But we're also looking for other ideas that might not be available in stores like REI. We don't mind paying a little extra to ship back some packs that don't work out if that's what it takes to get the right pack....but we'd like to keep it to a minimum, so hoping to hear what might have worked for other women. Has anyone had tried the ULA packs with the S-Curve straps, for example?

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
womens packs on 12/04/2012 17:34:24 MST Print View

Chris,
I don't have any experience carrying a bear bag, but has she tried a Deuter? Supportive and comfortable. Not UL, but a few are under 3 lbs. REI carries some of them.

Edited by leighb on 12/04/2012 17:37:50 MST.

Diana Nevins
(artemis) - MLife

Locale: Great Plains
Another Suggestion on 12/04/2012 18:27:19 MST Print View

Check out the ULA Catalyst. It has plenty of room for a bear canister, can carry up to about 35 pounds, and while not strictly a women's pack, it can be ordered with S-shaped straps that accommodate breasts well.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Re: womens packs on 12/05/2012 11:39:19 MST Print View

Thanks for the suggestions. I think between the packs at REI and ULA we should hopefully be able to find one that works well.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: Re: womens packs on 12/06/2012 18:19:51 MST Print View

My wife swears by her Osprey Ariel 55. You might want the 65 for the canister. Osprey does a good job with women's pack suspension.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
granite gear on 12/06/2012 19:51:07 MST Print View

I have the granite gear escape 40L which I find pretty comfortable carrying 25-30 lbs (though I've only tried it on short trips so far). In retrospect I probably should have gone with the 60L version of either the escape or the blaze (same suspension, but overall lighter) to fit a bear can. I can get a BV solo in - just barely - if I carry the shelter outside. One slightly annoying feature is trying to get the hydration bladder in and out when the pack is loaded.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Womens Pack for ~30 lbs Loads on 12/07/2012 01:49:38 MST Print View

Try the Golite 50L Jam. it's on sale today on online from GoLite. Either that you may be able to find a 2011 GoLite Women's Pinnacle. Both would suit your needs.
A;so, teh BV500 is quite big for one person. lthough it would fit in either pack, you might try the BV450 instead.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Womens Pack for ~30 lbs Loads on 12/07/2012 04:53:12 MST Print View

Try the new Granite Gear packs. I think they should handle a bear canister.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
six moon designs Traveler on 12/07/2012 13:57:15 MST Print View

I have the Six Moon Designs Traveler. I have used a large Bear Vault cannister in it. The torso length is adjustable, and I really like the front panel loading feature. If there is only one gripe, it is that the adjustable suspension creates a point of contact between the shoulder blades that takes some getting used to, and that the black dye bleeds onto my tan pants from sweating.