Forum Index » GEAR » 2 person tent, 3+ seasons for 4 pounds? Hilleberg Anjan or something else?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt Sanger
(IPARider) - MLife
tent selection on 01/22/2013 21:19:08 MST Print View

Matt - so what did you decide and why?

I frequent the Winds with my wife and our dog for weeklong outings, and have used a Scarp 2, BD Skylight, TT Double Rainbow, and REI quarterdome.

The best performer out of all of these was the BD Skylight for weather, and the extra space was nice. I didn't like the seamsealing all that much, and I think the pole setup is a bit of a PITA and a bit dumb in some respects (esp. those snaps that never hold the poles at the foot after you insert them), but the shelter is really solid, nice to occupy, and the weight isn't bad. Condensation is not much of an issue at 11K in the N. Rockies.\

The TT Double Rainbow pretty much got leveled in one storm and is a bit tight for riding out weather. The Scarp 2 is a much more solid tent and nice to spend time in, but is a bit fussy for me with the corner supports and staking arrangement (I didn't get into serious weather in it, and didn't get the setup totally dialed in).

In looking at the possibilities again, I have it down to the BD Skylight, the Anjan 3, and the BA Copper Spur UL 3.

I just can't believe the BA tent will deal with the weather possibilities the way I would like, but it seems like a nice tent with great room for the weight.

I know and like the BD Skylight (don't have it anymore), but I wouldn't mind dropping some weight and getting the Anjan 3...which is my leading candidate, despite the price.

Further insights appreciated...

Edited by IPARider on 01/24/2013 07:27:49 MST.

Michael Wainfeld
(Adox)

Locale: EastCoast
+1 Stratospire on 01/23/2013 16:35:31 MST Print View

+1 on the Stratospire. I brought one on a 7 day Winds trip this last August. Fairly benign Winds weather, just one short period of sleet, so I cannot comment on high wind performance. But others have, and my 1 was quite spacious so the 2 should be good. Quick, easy pitch too.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: +1 Stratospire on 01/23/2013 17:37:17 MST Print View

I have about 10 nights in my Ss1 and really like it, even used the fly sheet by itself with a buddy for an overnight in November and plenty of room.

It's a perfect 3 Season tent, once there is snow on the ground I shift over to my Hilleberg Soulo.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Where the air is thin
+1 StratoSpire on 01/23/2013 18:14:59 MST Print View

Stephen and I camped just below the continental divide in really windy conditions last June. His SS1 fared far better than the SoloMid I purchased specifically for its low profile. It sheds wind very effectively, and offers gobs of useable space for relatively low weight. I purchased an SS2 as a direct result of that trip, and after I sold my SoloMid I added an SS1, I'm that impressed with the design. Each has a fairly large footprint, but with careful site selection will handle anything that 3 seasons can throw at it (including light snow) with aplomb. But like Stephen says, once the ground is frozen and there's considerable snow cover, that's when the simpler design of Hilleberg freestanding or tunnel tents come into their own.

Matt Foehrenbacher
(matt_f) - MLife
Still haven't chosen on 01/24/2013 10:42:31 MST Print View

Matt S - I still haven't purchased a new shelter - the conversation so far hasn't led to me a clear conclusion. However, here's how my list looks after a bit more deliberation:

Scarp 2: a bit heavy but seems to offer a pretty good combination of weatherproofness, versatility and price. I'd get the fabric inner, and plan to use it some in the winter as well (Minnesota).

Anjan 3: I really want to like this shelter as well: it looks great on paper and Hilleberg has a great reputation. That said, i just can't buy such an expensive tent without a few more positive reviews floating around. So far the reviews have been mixed, but i'm holding out hope. I don't expect it to do everything that say a nallo 3 would, and i still suspect it may be an excellent option for my uses.

TT Stratospire 2: I didn't realize this should be on my radar, but now i'm going to take a closer look. I don't think i'd get the solo version. I do have some concerns that the 2 person version would not be as wind-worthy as the solo given the larger panel sizes. Can anyone refute this? I generally really like tarptent products and the company itself, and the lower weight is attractive.

Other thoughts: if my wife comes around on the idea of a 'mid i'd need to get a large one in which we could offset the center pole, and i'd need some form of bug-proofing. A lot of the inner nests seem to eat up too much of the interior volume. I haven't completely ruled out a black diamond megalight with perimeter netting, or possibly an MLD supermid (expensive).

Finally, i don't think the really light big agnes three-person tents would give me the wind-resistance i'd want. I haven't gotten back to David yet about checking out the Stephenson's Warmlite, but i have some reservations about buying directly from that company based on what i've read. maybe if i found a steal of a deal on a used one with windows i'd give it a try...

Thanks for the ongoing help,

Matt

Edited by matt_f on 01/24/2013 10:51:15 MST.

Michael Wainfeld
(Adox)

Locale: EastCoast
SS1 in the wind on 01/24/2013 13:59:40 MST Print View

Matt-I think it may be the shape of the panels and the kind of low profile of the tent that makes it good in the wind; a larger size may not be an issue. Again, I've not been in my SS1 in higher( >40mph) winds, so this is all second hand.

matthew rangel
(MRangel) - F
BD Lighthouse on 01/24/2013 14:23:27 MST Print View

Black Diamond Lighthouse is 3 lb 12 oz

I have one and highly recommend it. It is very very spacious and a snap to set up. I have used it in all four seasons and it has been just fie in strong winds as well.

Also, there is the Easton Mtn Kilo 2 which is even lighter. In fact, the Kilo 3 is still even lighter than the Lighthouse! Now that would be even more spacious for under 4 lbs.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
+1 on Scarp 2 on 01/24/2013 21:37:14 MST Print View

I bought a Scarp 2 & ripstop inner for 4 season use. Great tent.