November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Rain Mitts
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stuart Burke
(burkest) - F

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness
Rain Mitts on 03/29/2007 15:18:22 MDT Print View

After getting caught in a early season thunder storm last weekend on a day hike I decided that rain mitts would be a really nice thing to have. I want to buy a pair of MLD eVent rain mitts but I do not have the money to spare. I do have scrap fabric and time so I decided to try to make a pair of mitts based on the MLD design. I had to make three patterns in succesion to get the sizing correct. These pictures are from the third pair I made. I made them out of some cheap ripstop I got at walmart. I am going to make a pair out of some scrap epic I have next. I am not expecting the epic pair to be water-proof, I just want something to keep water from running down my sleeves while I am using my trekking poles.

Edited by burkest on 03/29/2007 21:03:26 MDT.

Rob Mcrae
(emptyman) - F

Locale: the other, big Ontario
rain gloves on 03/30/2007 08:30:28 MDT Print View

Nice going! I made 'rain gloves' by simply applying Granger's waterproofing (same as for shoes) to some old mitts. It seems to do the trick for beading water, but obviously not water proof.