Forum Index » Chaff » Painting over trail blazes?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
Painting over trail blazes? on 12/01/2012 07:06:00 MST Print View

I didn't know where to put this....Someone went into a local wilderness area and blazed a bunch of the trail with bright yellow (possibly oil based) paint. There are a few of us that are under contract to do trail maintenance on this trail and the FS has given us permission to paint over the blazes.. Wilderness areas are not to be blazed and it made me sick to see what had been done.
In the past we've worked with the FS on other trails, and in one instance(a case where the trail had been over blazed), used flat black, then feathered flat grey latex spray paint.
I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with anything like this before?I know I can go out and experiment with colors, but I'm wondering if there might be a better option that wouldn't be as noticeable....obviously the black/grey isn't as bad as neon yellow.

Thanks!

Edited by leighb on 12/01/2012 07:10:03 MST.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Painting over trail blazes? on 12/01/2012 08:15:34 MST Print View

Around here some user groups like to put up these gray diamond markers. They're actually pretty hard to see from too far away because they tend to blend in with the bark. I'd say black/gray would be the best bet if the FS has had success with it. Maybe brown and grey but I've never had direct experience trying to cover blazes. Luckily all we have to deal with are those grey diamonds and occasional flagging.

Adam

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Painting over trail blazes? on 12/01/2012 08:25:43 MST Print View

Is it mostly one type of tree? Pines or something else. I'm thinking about bark color. What about spray on undercoating? Brownish, easy to apply, no gloss, inexpensive, covers well.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Painting over trail blazes? on 12/01/2012 08:58:44 MST Print View

Use a flat paint that matches the background color somewhat. Before your paint is dry, throw a handfull of sand or dirt or duff onto it for texture.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

re: paint/trees on 12/01/2012 12:59:38 MST Print View

Ken,
Mostly oak/hickory,but some pines as well. With the flat blk/grey, pines will be an issue, lots of rusty brown...undercoating....hmmmm, interesting...is it latex?

Craig, I like that idea.

Edited by leighb on 12/01/2012 13:01:17 MST.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Try this on 12/01/2012 13:57:07 MST Print View

I like Craig's idea, here's another one.

Take some really course sandpaper with you. If the tree can handle it try sanding some of the paint/outer bark away. Obviously not a good idea with some trees but I suspect a mature out or pine could stand to lose a centimeter of outer bark with no problems.
Even if you don't take it completely off it might help.

I wonder if hunting suppliers like Cabellas or Bass Pro would have bark colored paint for hunting blinds?

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

blazes on 12/01/2012 16:03:54 MST Print View

Good thoughts Luke, thanks.

Edited by leighb on 12/01/2012 16:06:01 MST.