Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » Kings Canyon/Window Peak Info Needed

Display Avatars Sort By:
Robert Perkins
(rp3957) - M

Locale: The Sierras
Kings Canyon/Window Peak Info Needed on 12/01/2012 00:34:29 MST Print View

I am researching some potential trips for next summer and wanted to know if anyone has a trip report, or some good info on a cross-country route from Window Lake to Bench Lake, via Explorer Pass/Col. I enjoy cross-country, but don't want to get into any class 3+ terrain to pull it off. For comparison sake, I have done the Whitney mountaineering Route, the SHR from Roads End to Dusy Basin, and a large area of mixed cross-country in the Southern Sierras as well.

If anyone is interested in this area as well, let me know, as I probably won't do it solo. I am looking at going in over Sawmill Pass for the challange of another big Sierra Pass. Last year was Shepherd Pass, so I figured either Taboose or Sawmill Passes this year.

Thanks in advance for any route info and advice you may have!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Kings Canyon/Window Peak Info Needed on 12/01/2012 20:54:24 MST Print View

"if anyone has a trip report, or some good info on a cross-country route from Window Lake to Bench Lake, via Explorer Pass/Col. I enjoy cross-country,"

I went in to Window Peak Lake years ago from Roads End up Paradise Valley. If coming from the east you can use the same route I did, which was up beside the Window Peak Lake outlet stream from the trail along Woods Creek. It is a steep class 2 scramble but, judging from your resume, you should have no problem. From there to Bench Lake, I can't help you, but Secor seems to indicate it's no big deal.
Good fishing for rainbows, BTW.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957) - M

Kings Canyon/Window Peak Info on 12/02/2012 20:55:05 MST Print View

Thank-you Tom! You gave me some good info last year on a hike a group of us went on in the Southern Sierras and it was very helpful.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957) - M

Kings Canyon/Window Peak Info on 12/06/2012 20:02:08 MST Print View

I would also be interested if anyone has done Arrow Pass or the saddle/pass between Window Peak Lake and the White Fork basin. I'm trying to string together a circuitus trail/cross-country route in the area and am having a hard time finding a lot of info on the area. I have Secor's 'The High Sierra, Peaks, Passes, Trails , but it is not real detailed.

Edited by rp3957 on 12/06/2012 20:05:36 MST.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957) - M

Kings Canyon/Window Peak Info Needed on 12/11/2012 20:58:06 MST Print View

Bueller, Bueller....Bueller.

Anybody out there besides Tom that has been in this neck of the Sierras?