November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cold Feet Sleepers - Solution Debate
Display Avatars Sort By:
Barry P
(BarryP) - F

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
Re: Cold Feet Sleepers - Solution Debate on 12/05/2012 18:00:33 MST Print View

I use the 3oz Flash Down Booties by WM for cold temps. I’ve been fine wearing them in my 16oz 20F zpack quilt down to 20F. I do have a coolmax liner sock on.
In the morning, I loosen the straps of my sandals so I can accommodate the puffiness of down booties. I can hike with that setup for about 10 minutes before my feet are sweating up a storm.

And I bike with my down-booties/sandals-combo a lot down to 15F temperatures.
May everyone find their foot zen.

Feels good to post again.

-The mountains were made for Teva’s

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: Cold Feet Sleepers - Solution Debate on 12/06/2012 18:18:43 MST Print View

I carry a small piece of closed cell foam cut from a Z-rest pad. It's large enough for me to sit on, so I can use it on breaks and in camp to keep my butt insulated from the cold ground or the rock I am sitting on. At night I put this sit pad inside my sleeping bag under my feet. The extra insulation helps a lot in keeping my feet warm. Dual use, so the extra ounce or so makes sense for me.

Down booties help too, of course :)

whitenoise .
(whitenoise) - F
Hot water bottle and hat on 12/06/2012 19:35:25 MST Print View

As previously mentioned, a hot water bottle and a warm hat or hood make all the difference in the world. I boil some extra water before I go to bed, dump it in a Nalgene, and toss it in the bottom of my bag. Depending on how many hours of sleep I get, it'll still be slightly warm in the morning.

Most of the time though, a beanie, or if it's really cold, a hood and beanie, will go a long way to making sure my feet aren't cold.