Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Joshua Tree CRHT Run
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
surface on 02/15/2013 08:00:53 MST Print View

for guys that have been there, what's the surface like we'll be running- sounds like at least one stretch will be sandy (near blackrock???)- any rocky sections? reason I'm asking as I got a new, kind of minimal trail shoe and was contemplating using them, but don't want to make the wrong choice on this long of a run

danke

also I was contacted by another runner (another forum) and he inquired if he could run w/ us, I told him I didn't see a problem, but that he would have to find a camp spot or possibly contact Jacob to see if he had extra room- hope I told him right :)

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: surface on 02/15/2013 08:37:53 MST Print View

any other runner is fine by me, as long as he can at least walk the distance.

Craig knows the trail, but from the hiking I've done in Joshua Tree, there was a lot of sand.

Just make sure your feet have really gotten to know a shoe before using it on a very long run.

Edited by asandh on 02/15/2013 09:04:12 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: surface on 02/15/2013 13:26:43 MST Print View

thanks Art- I'm definitely far from 100% on my new shoes, they should handle sand and light rock just fine, but not so sure how they will feel w/ lots of miles

the gent that is thinking about joining us is GTG, he's a Hammer sponsored runner w/ multiple 100's under his belt- if he comes, I'm sure I'll see him once when I start and then once more when I get back to camp :)

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Re: Re: surface on 02/17/2013 21:36:57 MST Print View

Hey Mike. I just got back in town and saw your post...

A couple friends from Long Beach decided to come out and join us. They're not going to be on the trail but will be staying in our camp. So, we'll have 2 vehicles, 3 tents, and 5 people. I think we are allowed 6 people, but we may be at the limit on number of tents... I'm not worried about it if your buddy wants to crash at our site, but I have no idea how strict the Rangers are about their rules.

edit - scratch that. Just found out our friends booked site 97. So we should be good for whatever.

Edited by JacobD on 02/18/2013 10:29:18 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
CRHT Map on 02/20/2013 19:49:30 MST Print View

Is everyone cool on maps for this?

I still live in the relative stone age and use paper maps (Tom Harrison, NatGeo, etc.).
I could make some B/W copies of the CRHT off of the NatGeo topo I have.

If anyone has software and can print something better for evryone without much trouble, it might be a good idea.

I've done this route before...personally, I don't need a map or GPS. But it's a good idea for those new to the area just in case.

Mike, let me know what camping gear you need.
I think you and Adan and I will share a big 6 man family tent. I'll have a stove, cookware, cooler, etc.
I can bring a pad, bag, camp chair, whatever...

As for surface: lots of sandy/loose areas. Not too much rock. I've run/hiked this entire trail in a pair of NB MT101s and they were fine. I'll be doing it this time in a pair of MT110s. Lightweight is fine, but I think a minimal rock plate is good, simply due to mileage.

Sweeping the Garden: Joshua Tree Solo Bike and Run

Edited by xnomanx on 02/20/2013 19:57:24 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: CRHT Map on 02/20/2013 20:10:31 MST Print View

Craig - what's GPS ?
I use paper maps. am pretty familiar with Josh in general, so probably could do without one if the trail is well marked, but it may be nice to carry a piece of paper anyways. don't suppose Tom Harrison has one, I use those all the time.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Re: CRHT Map on 02/21/2013 09:52:31 MST Print View

Craig, thanks for the offer on maps. I could use one, or at least if it's not too much trouble for you it will be one less thing I have to scramble to do next week. I overbooked myself with a snowshoe trip this weekend and a ton of other things going on around the household.

BTW, I'm running this in Brooks Pure Grits... hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

Edited by JacobD on 02/21/2013 09:53:40 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: CRHT Map on 02/21/2013 10:00:56 MST Print View

Jacob - as long as you've done at least a 20 miler in your Pure Grits you should be fine. now if you've never gone further than 5 ... well.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Shoes on 02/21/2013 15:07:18 MST Print View

Check that, Art.

My feet felt ok after 20. Keeping my knee feeling ok will be the bigger trick. I will just have to take it a little easy.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

map/camp gear on 02/21/2013 19:43:24 MST Print View

I ordered a Nat Geo map so should be gtg in that regard

Craig- a camp chair would be great if you have a spare- I think I can squeeze in my quilt/neoair w/o much trouble so should be good there, if you can throw in a plate/bowl/cup/utensil for me that would be great!

Hopefully my low mileage the last couple of weeks won't hurt anything, I was still suffering from the flu during my Uwharrie race and took a little break afterwards; got a couple of light days in and then Friday suffered a stomach virus that I'm just today feeling close to normal from- the good news is my body should be overflowing w/ antibodies and I might get a long stretch w/o any more illness :)

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Tom Harrison Joshua Tree Map on 02/22/2013 09:57:33 MST Print View

my favorite backcountry maps (California only) are the Tom Harrison series.

I just checked online, Tom Harrison does make a Joshua Tree map.
has anyone seen it ? used it ?
is the CRHT on it ? enough detail for the run ?

costs $10
I will see if REI has it in stock today.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

weather on 02/23/2013 09:05:04 MST Print View

looks like they changed the forecast recently- was highs in the 50's lows in 30's, now looks like highs in 70's lows in mid 40's; of course w/ a week out that certainly is subject to change :)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Weather & Ultra Training on 02/23/2013 11:19:33 MST Print View

Yeah, I think it's definitely heating up. We've had a few days here that were full-on summer conditions. I'm prepared to see it possibly rise into the 80s.
I'm certainly not worried about insulation.
I'll be wearing nothing but a t-shirt with arm warmers and pack a Houdini as a backup.

So I'm on this revolutionary new training plan in which you do nothing but surf in preparation for a 38 mile hike/run. The waves have been great over the last few weeks so I'm definitely ready. I timed the training for this run in Joshua Tree to correspond perfectly with the winter SoCal swell. Tip-top shape on my end....

My new training book,
Surfing for Ultrarunning Success
should be due to hit stores in the next two weeks.

I'm working on a companion nutritional guide as well:
Backyard Barbeques and Beer for Optimal Athletic Performance

I'm gonna make a $$$million$$$.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Weather & Ultra Training on 02/23/2013 12:13:27 MST Print View

Ultrarunning is definitely All about the Money :-)

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
@Mike on 02/23/2013 20:16:21 MST Print View

Mike, I'm not sure what shoes you're running in, but I wouldn't use my Inov-8 TrailRoc 255s on a sandy run. The sand just pours in through the mesh uppers.

Love them apart from that, and will use them on my 100km in a few weeks. Not available in orange sorry, but they don't clash too badly with the black and orange gaiters, and if you swapped the red laces for orange, you'd ba home free!

Craig, can you do me an autographed first editio of the BBQ book?

Thanks

Rod

Edited by Rod_Lawlor on 02/23/2013 20:17:58 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: map/camp gear on 02/24/2013 07:49:34 MST Print View

I now have my own map.
just bought a Tom Harrison map of Joshua Tree from REI ( along with 4 bags full of Hammer nutrition, think that will last me ? )
the $10 map purchase was probably not necessary,
but it was too nice looking to pass up.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: @Mike on 02/24/2013 16:22:55 MST Print View

I'm going to stick w/ my Sabino Trails, just not enough miles on the FluidFlex to trust them- probably overkill for JT, but I know they work w/ long miles

I am quite pi$$ed that the FluidFlex are only offered in grey/neongreen

good idea on the laces though :D

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Saturday's Run on 02/25/2013 08:53:21 MST Print View

just a few things to think about for next Saturday :

distance - 38 ish miles (one source gives it 37.3)
elevation gain - 3,500 ft
start-finish - net downhill by about 1,000 ft

about 19 miles to Keys Rd water drop.

sunrise - 6:15 am
sunset - 5:47 pm
so about 12 hrs of nonheadlamp time.

I'm guessing a solid 1-1.5 hr drive from the camp to start of run, with one water drop.

weather - 5 days out it looks to be partly cloudy, hi 72*, low 52*, so pretty perfect.

so the question is what time do we want to start ?
there are those who have never seen the park. do we want to make our drive to the start in the daylight so they can get a nice look see, meaning a somewhat later start ? or do we want to begin running at the crack of dawn ?
12 hrs of light should be plenty of time, but a backup light wouldn't hurt.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Saturday's Run on 02/25/2013 09:54:16 MST Print View

I was speaking with Adan about this last night. It would be nice if we could stash water on Friday, but I don't think everyone will be in at the same time to do so.

We'll have to do it Saturday morning on the way out to the start. Better so we're all together.

There's a spot right at the back of Ryan campground that could make a good drop; trash cans are right there so we can dump empties after transferring water. There's also the Juniper Flats day use area that intersects the CRHT and Keys View road. We can decide that morning. I'll look around on Friday also.

Make sure to remove paper labels from water jugs; I've had mice eat all the paper labeling off my containers, including the masking tape I used to label them with the date and time I'd pick them up. Sharpie on the container is better for this reason.

I think a 6:30ish start would work for me. It would give us time to drive, stash water, and eat quickly in camp. I figure we'd have to wake up at ~4:30 to be on schedule for this. I'll eat in the car on the drive, so we can get out quick. I'll be slow, but if I'm out for a few hours after dark I don't mind. I'll bring a light just in case.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Saturday's Run on 02/25/2013 12:44:36 MST Print View

that sounds good, earlier better than latter- I know my training isn't what it should be for a run of this length, the more time I have w/o resorting to my headlamp the better :)

if we only had a ocean near by I could use Craig's method of surfing to whip myself into shape :)