Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Joshua Tree CRHT Run

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
airlines on 01/28/2013 17:49:17 MST Print View

Gents- I've been patiently waiting for airline ticket (both to LAX or Ontario) to come down; I'm sure they have very legitimate reasons why they are going up and not down-much like the legitimacy attached with oil prices. I'll still hold out some hope that with a little over a month to go they still may come down.

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: airlines on 01/28/2013 18:46:01 MST Print View

we'll keep our fingers crossed that oil will drop.
maybe we should all stop buying gas for the next month.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

I'm in! on 02/11/2013 08:21:44 MST Print View

I'm in boys! Found a good deal this morning and talked to Craig (flight comes in Thurday evening) and said it will work for him- thanks Craig!

Craig- I'll give you a shout a little later and email you the flight info.

<-- stoked!

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: I'm in! on 02/11/2013 08:25:22 MST Print View

Great Mike !

... and you're looking alike a serious runner with your new pack :-)

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: I'm in! on 02/11/2013 11:30:20 MST Print View

Way to go, persistence pays off!

As for me, possibly out :(

I thought my knee problems were behind me. Went out yesterday to attempt a 22 mile run around town with a friend. Well, being on hard pavement really brought it back to my attention. 13 miles in I knew I would have to bail and ended up at Starbux after 18 miles to drown my sorrows in chai tea and scones. I'm fairly certain I'm dealing with lateral patella displacement... so I'm going to try some K tape and see if I can get it sorted.

I don't want to be 'that guy' who shows up and ends up walking the last half of the thing. I'm bummed because I feel like my hydration and fueling routine is working really well, the damn knee.

Just shaved my leg, got some tape, and set up a Doc appt. Hoping to still join you guys but I don't know at this point. I'll touch base again before the date of. David and I will get a second campsite if we make it down.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: I'm in! on 02/11/2013 11:51:27 MST Print View

Jacob - I'm pretty sure there will be some walking going on whether you show up or not, so don't let that be an issue.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
That guy... on 02/11/2013 12:05:57 MST Print View

"I don't want to be 'that guy' who shows up and ends up walking the last half of the thing."

"That guy" is the one that organized this trip! So don't worry about it.

I'll go the distance just fine, but my running is hardly in a place to do the whole thing continuously right now. I just got sick, missed doing a bigger run this last weekend, will likely not be well enough (we'll see) to do a long run this weekend and will do a long backpack instead.

I fully intend to be in last place.

And I fully intend to fully enjoy myself while walking well into the evening as well...

I'm stoked to just get out, hang with friends, and spend a good long day on my feet in the desert. That's all I want out of this.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: That guy... on 02/11/2013 12:14:18 MST Print View

I think you guys are pretty modest. Though, as I sit here looking at my shaved knee I feel like I've been convinced that, as long as I'm able to walk, I should just make my way down there regardless.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: That guy... on 02/11/2013 18:35:06 MST Print View

I'm pretty sure I'm that guy too (despite the glossy photo and fancy pack! :))

I think I'm going to use my fancy pack w/ the addition of a 1 liter platy hoser (which fits rather nicely)- that gives me 74 oz of liquid (one bottle will be Perpetuem), which I'm thinking should do me 18 miles (4-5 hours???)- does that sound about right? Don't want to be that northern guy that they find his skeleton in the desert :)

Edited by mtwarden on 02/11/2013 18:56:39 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: I'm in! on 02/11/2013 19:56:56 MST Print View

I'll be with all of you in spirit. I'm sure I'll be able to feel the vibes coming from your J-Tree camp. Pour one for me.

@Jacob,

I hope your knee cooperates. Looking forward to the photographs you take. Just make sure you properly set the white balance on your camera, Mike really likes orange. ;-)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: I'm in! on 02/11/2013 19:59:05 MST Print View

Just got your airline confirmation Mike.
All the times are good so we're on.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: I'm in! on 02/11/2013 20:03:33 MST Print View

^ good deal :)

Eugene- wish you could make it, I've got a couple new orange bits I was saving just for you :)

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Trail Logistics on 02/12/2013 09:13:23 MST Print View

Haven't really studied the course yet (yes I will before run day).
I am right now assuming 1 water drop. at Keyes Rd ? is this right ?
where in the mileage is that drop ?
Just trying to figure the most I'll have to carry.

Also, Craig you said you had done this before.
How well marked is the route ?
will I have to stay awake the whole time ?
I know desert trails can be preety faint at times.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Trail Logistics on 02/12/2013 09:30:23 MST Print View

That's right Art, easiest place for a water drop is in the vicinity of Keys road and Ryan campground at the intersection of the CRHT.
That mileage is almost exactly halfway. If I remember right, we'd have about 17 miles back to camp from the drop.

The route is pretty well marked; there are mileage markers on it....you guessed it, every mile.

Just passed the mile 28 marker we'll be looking for a trail junction and hang a left to Upper Covington Flats and avoid going down into Lower Covington Flats. There is a sign at the junction, but if it's dark and you're doing the zombie shuffle, you could blow past it.
This is really the only turnoff that I can think of that could mess someone up if they miss it. Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward.
You can see the junction here, the only one shown on this map between Ryan campground and Blackrock:
http://www.joshua.tree.national-park.com/map.htm

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Re: Trail Logistics on 02/12/2013 10:29:33 MST Print View

There's a GPX download here which appears to include the notes for each waypoint. No GPS here, but posting for posterity.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/410883

I'm still learning as I go when it comes to hydration/fuel for these longer runs. On my recent 18 mile run/limp I went through about 50 oz of water, 4½ scoops of MD, a couple of nuun tabs and a couple salt sticks. That was about 3½ hours of in-town running. I felt good (aside from my knee), and the only thing I might change, if anything, is drinking a little more. For this run I don't think I want to carry less than 2L.

edit: forgot to add I was munching on some Frontier Bites also.

I need to get a vest or pack. I might see about picking up a Nathan HPL 020 today and see how I like it. I might want to carry a couple of 10oz bottles in addition to the bladder, plus a light shirt and pants or tights, and some snacks. Do you guys think this is reasonable for the Nathan or should I be looking at something like a UD Wasp? I'm probably leaning toward REI so I can exchange it if we don't get along on some trial runs. Just wondering how much capacity I should have.

Edited by JacobD on 02/12/2013 10:44:54 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: Trail Logistics on 02/12/2013 10:40:36 MST Print View

20 miles of water varies according to conditions and individual consumption practices.
as far as food for a 38 miler, I'd recommend 250 cal/hr minimum.

a cheaper pack alternative, which both Craig and I use, is the Black Diamond Bbee. not a running pack but works well when running slow, and holds twice as much as the Nathan HPL 20 (which really does not hold much if you use the bladder). this may come in handy if the weather suggests more clothing.

for stomach issues, a combination if Nuun tablets and Tums.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Trail Logistics on 02/12/2013 11:06:57 MST Print View

Jacob, if you want a Nathan HPL20, I was trying to sell mine a few months ago. Pack, bladder, and new bite valve for $40 shipped. It's used, but no holes, tears, stains, etc. All in fine working shape.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Trail Logistics on 02/13/2013 09:18:59 MST Print View

I think I'll be carrying 1800 calories of MD, 500 calories of Frontier Bites, 400 calories of Shot Bloks, and ~ 400 calories of other snacks. I feel like that should cover me pretty well for 10 hours of desert fun.

@Craig, thanks for the offer on the HPL 20. I think I'm going to head over to the local REI and see what they have, grab something, and go for a ~ 10 mile run with it today so I can see how I get along with whatever pack/vest I end up with.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Trail Logistics on 02/13/2013 19:34:20 MST Print View

calories- I'm planning on one bottle mixed w/ 2 scoops of Perpetuem/1 scoop HEED which should yield ~ 350 calories and plan on it lasting 2-2.5hrs, I'll have another with me to mix at around 1/4 point and then will have two more waiting at the 1/2 way point

Clif blocks- couple every hour, ~ 500 calories total

a couple of Hammer bars ~400 calories total

probably a P&J stashed at the 1/2 point :)

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Campground on 02/14/2013 16:07:24 MST Print View

I secured spot #98 in the Black Rock campground. Many of the spots were reserved already, but we'll be close enough to walk over for social hour. If you guys end up tight on space for tents/tarps you're more than welcome to setup with us.

Sandra D (my wife) will be accompanying David and I. She's a backpacker/runner/triathlete, but she won't be joining us on the trail, just coming along for some fresh air and scenery.

It looks like all of us have Friday off, not sure what time we're leaving at just yet, but we might make it out there before 4 PM on Friday.