Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Joshua Tree CRHT Run

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 11/30/2012 09:12:43 MST Print View

What: A single day (not overnight) crossing of the California Riding and Hiking Trail in Joshua Tree National Monument. Roughly 38 miles (according to trail markers).

When: Late February?
Option A: Car camp at Black Rock Campground on a Friday night, run Saturday, shuttle back, spend the night, and leave Sunday.
Option B (more adventurous): Same as option A but...doing it as a night run with a full moon has always been high on my to-do list. We could start just before sundown and run until...
February 2013 full moon is on Monday, Feb. 25th. Saturday the 23rd moonrise is at 4:02PM at 97.2% illuminated. Barring clouds, it would be BRIGHT out there.
***Date is totally negotiable. But I'll likely need at least a month and a half from now to get my legs back.

I'm obviously in favor of the moonlight traverse.

Who: Anyone that understands the nature of running self-supported* across nearly 40 miles of desert trail (possibly at night). High temps for Feb are ~65, lows are ~37.
*There are ways to stash water on the route.

Oh, and PRIZES!!!!
Who doesn't like PRIZES?!
I'll likely do up a commemorative batch of beer mugs, ramen bowls, or gigantic neck medallions.

If I don't hear from any interested parties within a week or two, I'm just going to plan on a solo Feb. 23rd moonlight run and go from there...

So who's game?

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 11/30/2012 12:41:39 MST Print View

hmmmm, how old is this thread ? J Tree is a National Park now :-)

been to Josh over 600,000 times, but its been a few years and most of them were climbing trips.
would be nice to see the place again.

haven't done much hiking running in the Park.
where does the trail begin ? Blackrock CG ?
end ?????

I could probably get one or two others to tag along.

---

Edited by asandh on 11/30/2012 12:57:10 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 11/30/2012 14:36:26 MST Print View

Oops...I forget it's a park now. I'm remembering the old days...

The CRHT runs from Black Rock Campground to the North Entrance station near 29 Palms. It can be done either direction with a shuttle and water can be stashed at the halfway point near Ryan Campground. It makes sense to camp at Black Rock as you can reserve sites there from home...

It runs through some good park scenery...I like the Covington Flats area of the beginning quite a bit.

What do think of a night run with a bright moon Art?

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 12/01/2012 09:45:00 MST Print View

First off, looks like you started 2 threads for this topic.
Maybe consolidate and cancel one before we get any further down the road.

Night run
not opposed to it, and my buddy John is up for anything unusual.
but I do love the desert vistas ... I suppose with a full moon there is still a lot to see.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 12/01/2012 10:03:40 MST Print View

I'm guessing that people new to the trail or area will want to do it by day for the views...which is fine by me.

How does Saturday, Feb. 23rd sound for the run?

I'll go consolidate that other thread now...

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 12/01/2012 14:47:16 MST Print View

Craig- count me as a definite maybe :) Looks like I could fly into Phoenix and then a 4 hr drive, we have an airline that has cheap rates to Phoenix (but only flies a couple of times a week).

As I've never been there, day would be preferable- although a night run sounds neat as well.

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 12/03/2012 12:50:00 MST Print View

talked to John and he's in too,

so better start that training Craig.

my one concern with a night run is just how well marked that CRHT is. desert trails are sometimes less obvious in places.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 12/03/2012 13:09:18 MST Print View

I think we should go for it as a day run at this point. I've done 50% of it at night and it wasn't bad, but it will certainly complicate things and likely just kill the view for most people doing it. I really only want to do it at night because I've been through it in the day already.

Training...hmmm...
Let's just say I'm simply out to finish.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 12/03/2012 13:16:29 MST Print View

finish is our only goal too, but you want to be able to sit up at the end, hold that beer up high.

do you know of a trail map, want to check if the trail goes by any of my old climbing spots.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 12/03/2012 16:03:50 MST Print View

just found out that JT is closer to Las Vegas than Phoenix, rates are a little cheaper to Vegas :)

Art found this map, probably better ones

Photobucket

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 12/03/2012 17:23:03 MST Print View

The CRHT swings wide of most of the established climbing areas, staying mostly in more of the backcountry. I use a Nat. Geo. topo for Joshua Tree; theirs has pretty good detail.

Mike, look into whether or not you can get a flight into Palm Springs. If so, you could likely be picked up and avoid dealing with car rentals/driving.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 12/06/2012 17:12:58 MST Print View

All the major airlines go into Palm Springs -- cost is usually minimal. And if you are really ambitious just hike from the airport to Long Canyon in Desert Hot Springs to the campground. Probably around 24 miles.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 12/06/2012 18:15:31 MST Print View

You should come out and have a beer/dinner with us Nick.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 12/06/2012 18:24:34 MST Print View

"You should come out and have a beer/dinner with us Nick."

You think I can't run with you young bucks?

... well you're right! Maybe I'll take my camper up there and make it a weekend with my better half.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 12/07/2012 16:13:08 MST Print View

Craig, I was quite stoked by the adventure that you and the others embarked on across the Grand Canyon and back - inspired enough to get me out running on roads, trails, whatever... which traditionally I've sorta despised. Strangely, now I sort of bask in the experience.

My hopes are that one of you guys (you know who you are) will be thinking about putting a long run/hike like this together around fall of 2013 when I'll be better prepared.

I'm *probably going to sit this one out, but just out of curiosity.... has anyone found/looked at an elevation profile?

And, how many hours are you out there start to finish on this (ballpark)?

- Jacob.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

elevation profile on 12/07/2012 19:10:30 MST Print View

haven't seen an elevation profile, but this link describes the trail pretty well (w/ elevation gain/loss)

from what I've read the majority of the trail is runnable, I'd think anywhere from 8-12 hours would be in the ballpark

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: elevation profile on 12/07/2012 19:55:13 MST Print View

Mike, is the link you were going to post?

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/410883

Doesn't sound too bad at all from that description.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

link on 12/07/2012 20:30:32 MST Print View

would be nice if I actually posted a link! :)

here's the one I was looking at

http://www.protrails.com/trails/view/348

that's a useful link you provided

Edited by mtwarden on 12/07/2012 20:33:10 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: elevation profile on 12/08/2012 08:35:38 MST Print View

thanks for the good links describing the route.

it does not seem like a difficult route, except for some staying awake so as not to get lost.

for me personally, I'd say somewhere from 8.5 - 10.5 hrs, leaning toward the slow side because we may have to carry extra water, and of course I'd like to take in the scenary a bit too.

Edited by asandh on 12/08/2012 08:36:52 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Joshua Tree Run Date??? on 12/09/2012 21:38:04 MST Print View

Coming from the R2R2R and the likes, it's certainly not a hard route. Rolling and flat terrain with only one small climb to really speak of.

Does Saturday, February 23rd sound like a good day for the run? I'd like to finalize the date soon for training purposes and to reserve a campsite for Friday and Saturday night.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Joshua Tree Run Date??? on 12/10/2012 09:20:14 MST Print View

Feb 23 is perfect for me and John.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Joshua Tree Run Date??? on 12/11/2012 08:53:36 MST Print View

I'm going to go ahead and try to book a site at Black Rock for Feb. 22nd and 23rd then. I believe each site can have 2 cars and 8 people so everyone that has expressed interest so far will be covered.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Joshua Tree Run Date Change??? on 12/11/2012 18:07:10 MST Print View

Hey everyone...
How would you all feel about the following weekend instead, running on Saturday, March 2nd? I'd then reserve a site for Friday the 1st and Sat. the 2nd.

We have another runner that can't make the 23rd but could do the 2nd.

Let me know so I can finalize (again).
Thanks.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Joshua Tree Run Date Change??? on 12/11/2012 18:57:24 MST Print View

Craig

March 2 is ok with me but no later than that.
need to talk to John.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Joshua Tree Run Date Change??? on 12/11/2012 19:05:36 MST Print View

Craig- I'm still a maybe, but no conflicts w/ either set of dates

Mike

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Joshua Tree Run Date Change??? on 12/11/2012 19:54:09 MST Print View

Great, thanks for understanding guys.
Talk to John and let me know. If he's good I'll book the campsite ASAP.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Joshua Tree Run Date Change??? on 12/11/2012 20:26:30 MST Print View

Craig- is Adan coming by chance? Do you have any other folks that are coming? I wonder if Brian has seen the thread?

Mike

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Joshua Tree Run Date Change??? on 12/11/2012 20:42:43 MST Print View

I wanted to change from Feb. to March so Adan could make it; I didn't know the 23rd is one of his daughter's birthdays. I haven't run with him in a while so it'll be good to train together some for this.

Don't know about Brian; we should message him.

Hope you can make it out Mike. I know it's a long way and it'll be a pretty low key gathering/run, but I think it'll be a good time. And warmer and sunnier than Montana.

Cory McArtor
(like2bsailing) - F
I might join in... on 12/11/2012 22:29:55 MST Print View

Idk if I'll be in town but if I'm around that weekend I might jump in depending on how much I can get in shape between now and then. If not I'll probably organize another run of it in the fall (I'll be traveling a lot this summer). I have the advantage of living 5 minutes from the park.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
CRHT on 12/11/2012 23:25:34 MST Print View

I wasnt even sure i could post on here anymore after some of the developments lately.

Mike, I will be there for sure if its Mar 2nd. I hope to see you there buddy, had a great time sharing the trail with you on the last one. I hope to be injury free this time. Lots of time off the last several months, but running has been feeling real good lately. I too will be looking to just finish this one, really excited about it though.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: CRHT on 12/12/2012 07:33:52 MST Print View

Adan- good deal! I'm going to try like heck to make it :) I'll drop Brian a line

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 12/12/2012 08:32:25 MST Print View

John is ok with moving the date to March 2.
lets try and keep the date within the 2 weekends discussed if possible.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Joshua Tree Run March 2nd. on 12/12/2012 09:13:33 MST Print View

Thanks for being flexible everyone...Had to get ol' Adan in on this one.

Let's make it March 2nd then. I'll reserve the site within a day or two. I think one site should cover us; I doubt more than 8 will show at this point. If so, I guess the stragglers can arrange a site.

brian blair
(donkey)

Locale: Silverado Canyon
Well...shoot on 12/12/2012 13:29:13 MST Print View

I'll be in Alaska on both of the proposed weekends!

This is a route I'd really like to do.....if for some reason it gets bumped fore/aft of those 2 weekends I'd be all over it.

Thanks for thinking of me!

BB

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Joshua Tree Run March 2nd. on 12/13/2012 09:46:58 MST Print View

Bumping it to March makes the proposition better for me. I'll say maybe.

I may decide to just come down for support if you guys are cool with that.

I wouldn't mind setting up at a strategic spot to provide water, fuel, first aid, shuttle, beer, whatever. This seems like the perfect run to dive into some longer distances but I'm still working my way up to that kind of mileage.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Joshua Tree Run March 2nd. on 12/13/2012 11:13:49 MST Print View

You could easily bail out at roughly the halfway point if you wanted to; Ryan campground is in that vicinity and the trail gets very close to it.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Jacob on 12/13/2012 22:21:27 MST Print View

Come out Jacob. This is a perfect way to meet folks and run with a like minded group without any performance anxiety. We'll just be out for a good time.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Jacob on 12/14/2012 08:15:31 MST Print View

Cool, cool. Thx for the invite, Adan (et all).

I'm not competitive about running, it's all about fun. The only reason I even took it up was because of what you guys did (the R2R2R). I was really inspired and motivated by that and thought it would be a great goal to set. Ok, I also wanted to trim down a bit without giving up on beer. That was *almost* as much of a motivating factor!

If I come out, I'd like to complete it. The bailout option is reassuring though, if a knee starts acting up or some other problem.

I guess you can mark me as "likely".

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Joshua Tree Run on 12/14/2012 09:25:42 MST Print View

I have reserved site 81 in Black Rock Campground for Friday, March 1st and Saturday, March 2nd.
6 people, 2 cars max. Extra cars pay and be parked in overflow (though we'll likely be leaving one at the other end of the park for a night).

Right now we have:
Craig
Adan
Art
John
Mike (maybe)
Jacob (maybe)

Cheers.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Joshua Tree Run on 12/15/2012 08:21:54 MST Print View

a couple of questions :) if I were to fly into Palm Springs, what would be a good time to fly in (assuming Friday?) to be picked up? also what would be a good time to fly out (assuming folks are leaving on Sunday?) also I could fly in on Thursday and get a motel, same goes for leaving on a Monday

do you plan on stashing water at the half way mark? I can make it 18-20 miles comfortably w/ a bladder and a handheld

also I can throw in a quilt and a pad pretty easy for a carry on- is someone bringing a shelter (if needed) that would have room for one?

danke

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Joshua Tree Run on 12/15/2012 08:39:55 MST Print View

Mike
John and i would be driving out there Friday after work. Would probably be in the Palm Springs vicinity some time between 4-6 pm. if you need a pick up we could arrange it.
have not even thought about Sunday and leaving time, somewhat flexible.
I am definitely in favor of at least one water stash, two if its convenient, would make the run more enjoyable.
I will be bringing a large 2 person tent that could "squeeze" 3, can also bring a second tent if need be.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Joshua Tree Run on 12/15/2012 12:48:31 MST Print View

Mike, we can easily stash water at the halfway point; this can be done when driving out to the start on the morning of the run.

I can bring a shelter and any other gear you might need so your flight is easier.

If Art and John can pick you up, I could get you back to Palm Springs on Sunday. Not to put it all on them, but I think Palm Springs is more in their travel direction. Regardless, I don't think I'd be leaving any later than 10am on Sunday, staying long enough for coffee and packing up.

I'm thinking the best way to run this is to start at the North entrance backcountry board (start of the CRHT) on Saturday morning and run back towards camp. The CRHT ends at Black Rock; that way people can get in at whatever time/pace suits them.

We can all pile into a car early Saturday, drive into/across the park, stash water, get to the start, and leave the car there. Saturday night or Sunday morning we can go pick up the car; leaving it overnight at the North entrance backcountry board is OK.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Joshua Tree Run on 12/16/2012 07:06:07 MST Print View

sounds like an efficient run plan.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Joshua on 12/18/2012 23:26:53 MST Print View

Hey, thanks everybody for being flexible on dates so I could get in on this one!! Looking forward to it. I'll be bringing my 6man tent again, so there will definitely be room for you Mike. Same goes for cooking by the way. We will likely bring stove, pot, etc so it would be no problem to bring extra food for you, drinks, etc.

Edited by Lopez on 12/18/2012 23:31:52 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Joshua on 12/19/2012 07:36:17 MST Print View

that would be great Adan :)

I've got an email alert on airline tickets- my hope is w/ fuel costs going down and the holiday season about to end, that tickets might drop a bit

I can get cheap flights into Las Vegas, but the costs of rental cars have sky rocketed for some reason, clearly cheaper (and easier) to fly into Palm Springs

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Joshua on 12/19/2012 09:01:35 MST Print View

Mike
Vegas airport would probably be my last choice, a 4 hour drive after getting the car.
the drive from Palm Springs to the campground is a half hour or less.
if you absolutely needed a big city airport, I'd probably look into one of the LA area airports.
But the closeness of Palm Springs combined with no need for a car ... well ...

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

LAX? on 01/10/2013 20:14:51 MST Print View

is flying into LA an option? flights are a quite a bit cheaper into LAX vs Palm Springs, not sure where everyone is located so don't know if LAX is an option or not

danke

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: LAX? on 01/10/2013 20:41:20 MST Print View

I could easily get you form LAX. I work about 10 minutes from there. I get off at 3PM, would be heading out to JTree right after that on Friday.
Could take you back to LAX by Sunday afternoon/evening.

If I pick you up on Friday after work, I've got to warn you; the normally 2 hour drive to Joshua Tree will be 4 hours of freeway sitting in traffic.
This ain't Montana....
So we'll get you there either way; the only downside is you'll sit in the car a whole lot longer from LAX.

Let me know what flight times/days you're looking at and I'll chime in on what's best with drive times, etc...

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: LAX? on 01/10/2013 21:51:16 MST Print View

Craig- I'll check into the flight times and report back

yeah we're a little spoiled here- we talk miles instead of drive times as we take it for granted we'll be driving 65-75 the whole way w/ no traffic :)

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: LAX? on 01/11/2013 08:38:10 MST Print View

Craig - that's Great!
LAX is about 1.5 hrs out of the way for me not counting Friday traffic.

Mike - Don't you live in Montana ? I thought standard road speed was 90+.
We do 75 bumper to bumper down here.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: LAX? on 01/11/2013 17:00:58 MST Print View

Billings must not be that big of a travel destination as the flights are rather limited :)

on Friday there is a flight landing at 11:30 AM or 4:20 PM (couple later that won't work), Sunday they have a couple of early morning flights that won't work, but there is one at 5:15 PM

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAX? on 01/11/2013 17:24:26 MST Print View

I'm strongly considering taking the day off of work Friday just to be able to avoid traffic and get out there to relax earlier. So the 11:30 AM could work good.
Adan will likely ride out with me as well; don't know if he can get the day off though. It would be nice f I could get you at 11:30 and we just head straight out.
A 5:15 return flight on Sunday would be fine. We could relax in the desert for the better part of the morning or until about noon and then head out to LAX.

Would letting you know by Sunday afternoon be too late to make the reservations?

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAX? on 01/11/2013 17:30:40 MST Print View

Craig- no problem at all, I'm still not 100% at this point (but getting closer! :))

Mike

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAX? on 01/19/2013 09:40:14 MST Print View

Craig- is Adan able to get Friday off? Still keeping an eye on flights

thanks

Mike

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
How did I miss this? on 01/19/2013 10:35:24 MST Print View

I have been having a serious west coast mountain withdraw since moving to PA. I have been doing a fair number of 40+ mile days lately so I'm pretty sure I am ready physically. Put me down as a very excited maybe. Have a lot of things going on with life right now. Seems like plenty of time to calm things down and take a trip. The R2R2R was a blast. Use Craig's mug everyday for my morning caffeine.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Re: Joshua on 01/19/2013 10:46:15 MST Print View

I've checked in on this thread with great envy and bitterness. ;-)

Really wish I could join you guys for this get together. Have fun out there.

I'll second Greg on the mug, it's a daily affair for me and my pressed coffee.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 01/19/2013 10:58:38 MST Print View

Mike- Adan said he's OK to take Friday off so a Friday morning flight into LAX would work. Any time works for me. Also check out Ontario airport; we would have to drive right past it in order to get to Joshua Tree.

Greg and Eugene- it would be great to get out with you guys again, we'll figure out something. I'd still like to get out to NM and check out the land with you Eugene. One of these days I'll make the drive. We still have to get you out here and into the High Sierra as well.

Keep us posted Greg, you're more than welcome to come out. I can hook you up with camping gear so you don't have to carry too much on a flight.

Edited by xnomanx on 01/19/2013 10:59:58 MST.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 01/22/2013 11:36:19 MST Print View

Craig/All,

I've been quietly watching the thread. I'd say I'm still very likely on this. I've been nursing an injury, possibly ligament, for a while and have been running less but I'm on the mend and as long as my body is feeling ok I'm still down. Short runs and some snowshoe trips have felt ok, so I'm optimistic.

David Wage expressed some interest in joining along if I go. Should we look into reserving a second camp site? David is still tentative as well, but if he does go it's possible we'll make the drive down Friday night for a late arrival.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

CRHT on 01/22/2013 23:26:24 MST Print View

Watch this thread is not working. Excited about this trip. My knee seems solid again and I hope to keep up with the pack this time. But we'll see. Getting Friday off shouldn't be an issue. Let's rattle them bones fellas.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Joshua Tree CRHT Run on 01/23/2013 19:40:39 MST Print View

Jacob...

You and David are more than welcome.
I have reserved one campsite.
They say sites are limited to six people, two cars, and 3 tents.
We'll be showing up with 4 people and two cars for sure, with Mike M. making the 5th person if he can make it.
I don't know if the rangers will stress about it, but technically, I think we'll need one more site if you guys come.

Our site is 81 for Friday, March 1st thru Sunday, March 3rd at Black Rock Campground.

If you can't reserve one, just come anyway and we'll figure it out.

Hope you can make it.

Edited by xnomanx on 01/23/2013 20:11:33 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

airlines on 01/28/2013 17:49:17 MST Print View

Gents- I've been patiently waiting for airline ticket (both to LAX or Ontario) to come down; I'm sure they have very legitimate reasons why they are going up and not down-much like the legitimacy attached with oil prices. I'll still hold out some hope that with a little over a month to go they still may come down.

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: airlines on 01/28/2013 18:46:01 MST Print View

we'll keep our fingers crossed that oil will drop.
maybe we should all stop buying gas for the next month.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

I'm in! on 02/11/2013 08:21:44 MST Print View

I'm in boys! Found a good deal this morning and talked to Craig (flight comes in Thurday evening) and said it will work for him- thanks Craig!

Craig- I'll give you a shout a little later and email you the flight info.

<-- stoked!

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: I'm in! on 02/11/2013 08:25:22 MST Print View

Great Mike !

... and you're looking alike a serious runner with your new pack :-)

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: I'm in! on 02/11/2013 11:30:20 MST Print View

Way to go, persistence pays off!

As for me, possibly out :(

I thought my knee problems were behind me. Went out yesterday to attempt a 22 mile run around town with a friend. Well, being on hard pavement really brought it back to my attention. 13 miles in I knew I would have to bail and ended up at Starbux after 18 miles to drown my sorrows in chai tea and scones. I'm fairly certain I'm dealing with lateral patella displacement... so I'm going to try some K tape and see if I can get it sorted.

I don't want to be 'that guy' who shows up and ends up walking the last half of the thing. I'm bummed because I feel like my hydration and fueling routine is working really well, the damn knee.

Just shaved my leg, got some tape, and set up a Doc appt. Hoping to still join you guys but I don't know at this point. I'll touch base again before the date of. David and I will get a second campsite if we make it down.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: I'm in! on 02/11/2013 11:51:27 MST Print View

Jacob - I'm pretty sure there will be some walking going on whether you show up or not, so don't let that be an issue.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
That guy... on 02/11/2013 12:05:57 MST Print View

"I don't want to be 'that guy' who shows up and ends up walking the last half of the thing."

"That guy" is the one that organized this trip! So don't worry about it.

I'll go the distance just fine, but my running is hardly in a place to do the whole thing continuously right now. I just got sick, missed doing a bigger run this last weekend, will likely not be well enough (we'll see) to do a long run this weekend and will do a long backpack instead.

I fully intend to be in last place.

And I fully intend to fully enjoy myself while walking well into the evening as well...

I'm stoked to just get out, hang with friends, and spend a good long day on my feet in the desert. That's all I want out of this.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: That guy... on 02/11/2013 12:14:18 MST Print View

I think you guys are pretty modest. Though, as I sit here looking at my shaved knee I feel like I've been convinced that, as long as I'm able to walk, I should just make my way down there regardless.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: That guy... on 02/11/2013 18:35:06 MST Print View

I'm pretty sure I'm that guy too (despite the glossy photo and fancy pack! :))

I think I'm going to use my fancy pack w/ the addition of a 1 liter platy hoser (which fits rather nicely)- that gives me 74 oz of liquid (one bottle will be Perpetuem), which I'm thinking should do me 18 miles (4-5 hours???)- does that sound about right? Don't want to be that northern guy that they find his skeleton in the desert :)

Edited by mtwarden on 02/11/2013 18:56:39 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: I'm in! on 02/11/2013 19:56:56 MST Print View

I'll be with all of you in spirit. I'm sure I'll be able to feel the vibes coming from your J-Tree camp. Pour one for me.

@Jacob,

I hope your knee cooperates. Looking forward to the photographs you take. Just make sure you properly set the white balance on your camera, Mike really likes orange. ;-)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: I'm in! on 02/11/2013 19:59:05 MST Print View

Just got your airline confirmation Mike.
All the times are good so we're on.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: I'm in! on 02/11/2013 20:03:33 MST Print View

^ good deal :)

Eugene- wish you could make it, I've got a couple new orange bits I was saving just for you :)

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Trail Logistics on 02/12/2013 09:13:23 MST Print View

Haven't really studied the course yet (yes I will before run day).
I am right now assuming 1 water drop. at Keyes Rd ? is this right ?
where in the mileage is that drop ?
Just trying to figure the most I'll have to carry.

Also, Craig you said you had done this before.
How well marked is the route ?
will I have to stay awake the whole time ?
I know desert trails can be preety faint at times.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Trail Logistics on 02/12/2013 09:30:23 MST Print View

That's right Art, easiest place for a water drop is in the vicinity of Keys road and Ryan campground at the intersection of the CRHT.
That mileage is almost exactly halfway. If I remember right, we'd have about 17 miles back to camp from the drop.

The route is pretty well marked; there are mileage markers on it....you guessed it, every mile.

Just passed the mile 28 marker we'll be looking for a trail junction and hang a left to Upper Covington Flats and avoid going down into Lower Covington Flats. There is a sign at the junction, but if it's dark and you're doing the zombie shuffle, you could blow past it.
This is really the only turnoff that I can think of that could mess someone up if they miss it. Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward.
You can see the junction here, the only one shown on this map between Ryan campground and Blackrock:
http://www.joshua.tree.national-park.com/map.htm

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Re: Trail Logistics on 02/12/2013 10:29:33 MST Print View

There's a GPX download here which appears to include the notes for each waypoint. No GPS here, but posting for posterity.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/410883

I'm still learning as I go when it comes to hydration/fuel for these longer runs. On my recent 18 mile run/limp I went through about 50 oz of water, 4½ scoops of MD, a couple of nuun tabs and a couple salt sticks. That was about 3½ hours of in-town running. I felt good (aside from my knee), and the only thing I might change, if anything, is drinking a little more. For this run I don't think I want to carry less than 2L.

edit: forgot to add I was munching on some Frontier Bites also.

I need to get a vest or pack. I might see about picking up a Nathan HPL 020 today and see how I like it. I might want to carry a couple of 10oz bottles in addition to the bladder, plus a light shirt and pants or tights, and some snacks. Do you guys think this is reasonable for the Nathan or should I be looking at something like a UD Wasp? I'm probably leaning toward REI so I can exchange it if we don't get along on some trial runs. Just wondering how much capacity I should have.

Edited by JacobD on 02/12/2013 10:44:54 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: Trail Logistics on 02/12/2013 10:40:36 MST Print View

20 miles of water varies according to conditions and individual consumption practices.
as far as food for a 38 miler, I'd recommend 250 cal/hr minimum.

a cheaper pack alternative, which both Craig and I use, is the Black Diamond Bbee. not a running pack but works well when running slow, and holds twice as much as the Nathan HPL 20 (which really does not hold much if you use the bladder). this may come in handy if the weather suggests more clothing.

for stomach issues, a combination if Nuun tablets and Tums.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Trail Logistics on 02/12/2013 11:06:57 MST Print View

Jacob, if you want a Nathan HPL20, I was trying to sell mine a few months ago. Pack, bladder, and new bite valve for $40 shipped. It's used, but no holes, tears, stains, etc. All in fine working shape.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Trail Logistics on 02/13/2013 09:18:59 MST Print View

I think I'll be carrying 1800 calories of MD, 500 calories of Frontier Bites, 400 calories of Shot Bloks, and ~ 400 calories of other snacks. I feel like that should cover me pretty well for 10 hours of desert fun.

@Craig, thanks for the offer on the HPL 20. I think I'm going to head over to the local REI and see what they have, grab something, and go for a ~ 10 mile run with it today so I can see how I get along with whatever pack/vest I end up with.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Trail Logistics on 02/13/2013 19:34:20 MST Print View

calories- I'm planning on one bottle mixed w/ 2 scoops of Perpetuem/1 scoop HEED which should yield ~ 350 calories and plan on it lasting 2-2.5hrs, I'll have another with me to mix at around 1/4 point and then will have two more waiting at the 1/2 way point

Clif blocks- couple every hour, ~ 500 calories total

a couple of Hammer bars ~400 calories total

probably a P&J stashed at the 1/2 point :)

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Campground on 02/14/2013 16:07:24 MST Print View

I secured spot #98 in the Black Rock campground. Many of the spots were reserved already, but we'll be close enough to walk over for social hour. If you guys end up tight on space for tents/tarps you're more than welcome to setup with us.

Sandra D (my wife) will be accompanying David and I. She's a backpacker/runner/triathlete, but she won't be joining us on the trail, just coming along for some fresh air and scenery.

It looks like all of us have Friday off, not sure what time we're leaving at just yet, but we might make it out there before 4 PM on Friday.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

surface on 02/15/2013 08:00:53 MST Print View

for guys that have been there, what's the surface like we'll be running- sounds like at least one stretch will be sandy (near blackrock???)- any rocky sections? reason I'm asking as I got a new, kind of minimal trail shoe and was contemplating using them, but don't want to make the wrong choice on this long of a run

danke

also I was contacted by another runner (another forum) and he inquired if he could run w/ us, I told him I didn't see a problem, but that he would have to find a camp spot or possibly contact Jacob to see if he had extra room- hope I told him right :)

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: surface on 02/15/2013 08:37:53 MST Print View

any other runner is fine by me, as long as he can at least walk the distance.

Craig knows the trail, but from the hiking I've done in Joshua Tree, there was a lot of sand.

Just make sure your feet have really gotten to know a shoe before using it on a very long run.

Edited by asandh on 02/15/2013 09:04:12 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: surface on 02/15/2013 13:26:43 MST Print View

thanks Art- I'm definitely far from 100% on my new shoes, they should handle sand and light rock just fine, but not so sure how they will feel w/ lots of miles

the gent that is thinking about joining us is GTG, he's a Hammer sponsored runner w/ multiple 100's under his belt- if he comes, I'm sure I'll see him once when I start and then once more when I get back to camp :)

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Re: Re: surface on 02/17/2013 21:36:57 MST Print View

Hey Mike. I just got back in town and saw your post...

A couple friends from Long Beach decided to come out and join us. They're not going to be on the trail but will be staying in our camp. So, we'll have 2 vehicles, 3 tents, and 5 people. I think we are allowed 6 people, but we may be at the limit on number of tents... I'm not worried about it if your buddy wants to crash at our site, but I have no idea how strict the Rangers are about their rules.

edit - scratch that. Just found out our friends booked site 97. So we should be good for whatever.

Edited by JacobD on 02/18/2013 10:29:18 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
CRHT Map on 02/20/2013 19:49:30 MST Print View

Is everyone cool on maps for this?

I still live in the relative stone age and use paper maps (Tom Harrison, NatGeo, etc.).
I could make some B/W copies of the CRHT off of the NatGeo topo I have.

If anyone has software and can print something better for evryone without much trouble, it might be a good idea.

I've done this route before...personally, I don't need a map or GPS. But it's a good idea for those new to the area just in case.

Mike, let me know what camping gear you need.
I think you and Adan and I will share a big 6 man family tent. I'll have a stove, cookware, cooler, etc.
I can bring a pad, bag, camp chair, whatever...

As for surface: lots of sandy/loose areas. Not too much rock. I've run/hiked this entire trail in a pair of NB MT101s and they were fine. I'll be doing it this time in a pair of MT110s. Lightweight is fine, but I think a minimal rock plate is good, simply due to mileage.

Sweeping the Garden: Joshua Tree Solo Bike and Run

Edited by xnomanx on 02/20/2013 19:57:24 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: CRHT Map on 02/20/2013 20:10:31 MST Print View

Craig - what's GPS ?
I use paper maps. am pretty familiar with Josh in general, so probably could do without one if the trail is well marked, but it may be nice to carry a piece of paper anyways. don't suppose Tom Harrison has one, I use those all the time.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Re: CRHT Map on 02/21/2013 09:52:31 MST Print View

Craig, thanks for the offer on maps. I could use one, or at least if it's not too much trouble for you it will be one less thing I have to scramble to do next week. I overbooked myself with a snowshoe trip this weekend and a ton of other things going on around the household.

BTW, I'm running this in Brooks Pure Grits... hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

Edited by JacobD on 02/21/2013 09:53:40 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: CRHT Map on 02/21/2013 10:00:56 MST Print View

Jacob - as long as you've done at least a 20 miler in your Pure Grits you should be fine. now if you've never gone further than 5 ... well.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Shoes on 02/21/2013 15:07:18 MST Print View

Check that, Art.

My feet felt ok after 20. Keeping my knee feeling ok will be the bigger trick. I will just have to take it a little easy.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

map/camp gear on 02/21/2013 19:43:24 MST Print View

I ordered a Nat Geo map so should be gtg in that regard

Craig- a camp chair would be great if you have a spare- I think I can squeeze in my quilt/neoair w/o much trouble so should be good there, if you can throw in a plate/bowl/cup/utensil for me that would be great!

Hopefully my low mileage the last couple of weeks won't hurt anything, I was still suffering from the flu during my Uwharrie race and took a little break afterwards; got a couple of light days in and then Friday suffered a stomach virus that I'm just today feeling close to normal from- the good news is my body should be overflowing w/ antibodies and I might get a long stretch w/o any more illness :)

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Tom Harrison Joshua Tree Map on 02/22/2013 09:57:33 MST Print View

my favorite backcountry maps (California only) are the Tom Harrison series.

I just checked online, Tom Harrison does make a Joshua Tree map.
has anyone seen it ? used it ?
is the CRHT on it ? enough detail for the run ?

costs $10
I will see if REI has it in stock today.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

weather on 02/23/2013 09:05:04 MST Print View

looks like they changed the forecast recently- was highs in the 50's lows in 30's, now looks like highs in 70's lows in mid 40's; of course w/ a week out that certainly is subject to change :)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Weather & Ultra Training on 02/23/2013 11:19:33 MST Print View

Yeah, I think it's definitely heating up. We've had a few days here that were full-on summer conditions. I'm prepared to see it possibly rise into the 80s.
I'm certainly not worried about insulation.
I'll be wearing nothing but a t-shirt with arm warmers and pack a Houdini as a backup.

So I'm on this revolutionary new training plan in which you do nothing but surf in preparation for a 38 mile hike/run. The waves have been great over the last few weeks so I'm definitely ready. I timed the training for this run in Joshua Tree to correspond perfectly with the winter SoCal swell. Tip-top shape on my end....

My new training book,
Surfing for Ultrarunning Success
should be due to hit stores in the next two weeks.

I'm working on a companion nutritional guide as well:
Backyard Barbeques and Beer for Optimal Athletic Performance

I'm gonna make a $$$million$$$.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Weather & Ultra Training on 02/23/2013 12:13:27 MST Print View

Ultrarunning is definitely All about the Money :-)

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
@Mike on 02/23/2013 20:16:21 MST Print View

Mike, I'm not sure what shoes you're running in, but I wouldn't use my Inov-8 TrailRoc 255s on a sandy run. The sand just pours in through the mesh uppers.

Love them apart from that, and will use them on my 100km in a few weeks. Not available in orange sorry, but they don't clash too badly with the black and orange gaiters, and if you swapped the red laces for orange, you'd ba home free!

Craig, can you do me an autographed first editio of the BBQ book?

Thanks

Rod

Edited by Rod_Lawlor on 02/23/2013 20:17:58 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: map/camp gear on 02/24/2013 07:49:34 MST Print View

I now have my own map.
just bought a Tom Harrison map of Joshua Tree from REI ( along with 4 bags full of Hammer nutrition, think that will last me ? )
the $10 map purchase was probably not necessary,
but it was too nice looking to pass up.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: @Mike on 02/24/2013 16:22:55 MST Print View

I'm going to stick w/ my Sabino Trails, just not enough miles on the FluidFlex to trust them- probably overkill for JT, but I know they work w/ long miles

I am quite pi$$ed that the FluidFlex are only offered in grey/neongreen

good idea on the laces though :D

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Saturday's Run on 02/25/2013 08:53:21 MST Print View

just a few things to think about for next Saturday :

distance - 38 ish miles (one source gives it 37.3)
elevation gain - 3,500 ft
start-finish - net downhill by about 1,000 ft

about 19 miles to Keys Rd water drop.

sunrise - 6:15 am
sunset - 5:47 pm
so about 12 hrs of nonheadlamp time.

I'm guessing a solid 1-1.5 hr drive from the camp to start of run, with one water drop.

weather - 5 days out it looks to be partly cloudy, hi 72*, low 52*, so pretty perfect.

so the question is what time do we want to start ?
there are those who have never seen the park. do we want to make our drive to the start in the daylight so they can get a nice look see, meaning a somewhat later start ? or do we want to begin running at the crack of dawn ?
12 hrs of light should be plenty of time, but a backup light wouldn't hurt.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Saturday's Run on 02/25/2013 09:54:16 MST Print View

I was speaking with Adan about this last night. It would be nice if we could stash water on Friday, but I don't think everyone will be in at the same time to do so.

We'll have to do it Saturday morning on the way out to the start. Better so we're all together.

There's a spot right at the back of Ryan campground that could make a good drop; trash cans are right there so we can dump empties after transferring water. There's also the Juniper Flats day use area that intersects the CRHT and Keys View road. We can decide that morning. I'll look around on Friday also.

Make sure to remove paper labels from water jugs; I've had mice eat all the paper labeling off my containers, including the masking tape I used to label them with the date and time I'd pick them up. Sharpie on the container is better for this reason.

I think a 6:30ish start would work for me. It would give us time to drive, stash water, and eat quickly in camp. I figure we'd have to wake up at ~4:30 to be on schedule for this. I'll eat in the car on the drive, so we can get out quick. I'll be slow, but if I'm out for a few hours after dark I don't mind. I'll bring a light just in case.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Saturday's Run on 02/25/2013 12:44:36 MST Print View

that sounds good, earlier better than latter- I know my training isn't what it should be for a run of this length, the more time I have w/o resorting to my headlamp the better :)

if we only had a ocean near by I could use Craig's method of surfing to whip myself into shape :)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

water drop on 02/25/2013 17:24:58 MST Print View

quick question? can we drop more than just water? I was thinking about cutting my "food" in half and stashing half w/ the water

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: water drop on 02/25/2013 17:46:54 MST Print View

Unless it's in a sealed, lidded bucket, I wouldn't leave food. I've had mice chew the labels off of water bottles...

I have no idea if it's warranted, but I've always felt stashes should be kept as low profile as possible. I honestly don't know how the park management feels about them or how much we can get away with. I wonder if it's better to not ask...
I've always kept my stashes small and fairly well hidden off trail for this reason. Maybe I worry too much about it...?

I was considering seeing if I could befriend some campers in Ryan campground (the CRHT goes right by the backside of the camp) and ask if we could leave stuff at the edge of their site until the afternoon on Saturday...this way, no worries about anyone messing with it. Figured I could look into this on Friday.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: water drop on 02/25/2013 17:56:09 MST Print View

sounds good, I'll just plan on carrying it- not an overly big weight savings :)

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: water drop on 02/25/2013 18:40:03 MST Print View

I agree the drop should be small and inconspicuous, probably water only.
the small weight of the food you would stash for 5-6 more hours of running is not worth the chance it won't be there. I never stash clothes, no where no how (well unless its an official race).

Regarding whether to have the drop at Ryan Campground or at the Keys Rd crossing, does the trail go right by the edge of the campground ? I think the drop location depends on what we feel is most convenient, both in doing the drop, getting the stuff mid run, and cleaning up our mess afterwards.

Also regarding setting up the drop on Friday or on the drive Saturday morning, we need to make sure everyone knows exactly where the drop is, in case we don't all run together.

Friday Arrival
John and I will get to the campground between 3:30-5:00 on Friday.

Edited by asandh on 02/25/2013 18:59:22 MST.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Re: Re: water drop on 02/26/2013 10:00:04 MST Print View

Hey all.

I'm just getting recovered from a rough extended weekend up in the Sierras. Just made my checklist for J Tree... lots to do before Friday including a brake job on my truck. I probably should have skipped that snowshoe last weekend...

Re: Start time, water drop, etc... sounds fine with me.

Sandra may meet me/us at the drop point so she can probably help with taking out our trash and what not. We can figure it out on Friday. I also have a stainless steel mesh critter proof bag which anyone can utilize if they wanted/needed; I will bring it, we can discuss.

We're aiming to make it to the campground around 4:00-5:00 on Friday.

Is anyone still in need of any camping gear?

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

phone list on 02/26/2013 12:49:56 MST Print View

would it be worthwhile getting a phone list (email list) to Craig? we did that for the R2R2R trip and it was nice to have several numbers just in case

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: phone list on 02/26/2013 17:50:42 MST Print View

Send me numbers if we want a phone list.

Regarding water stash/drop...I like the Ryan Campground idea simply because I remember trash cans there. The trail literally goes right next to them at one point. At the Keys View intersection, I don't believe there are trash containers- meaning you need to pack out any empties from your water refill.
Again, I'll check out Ryan on Friday as we show Mike around the park.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: phone list on 02/26/2013 18:55:43 MST Print View

number sent :)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Maps and Tile on 02/26/2013 19:46:24 MST Print View

I'll copy some maps for people but all I can do is B/W.
It'll take three 8.5x11 pages to cover the entire route; I can do this at work and note the main junctions to look for on each copy.

I have also made a CRHT 2013 tile for the occasion but got swamped at work and couldn't get them fired in time. I'll bring the unfired sample and mold. If anyone's interested I can fire them up later and mail them out if you pay shipping costs.

Edited by xnomanx on 02/26/2013 19:48:31 MST.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Maps and Tile on 02/27/2013 07:59:46 MST Print View

Craig, thanks again on the map. I'm headed to REI today to pick a couple things up. I'm going to see if I can find one there, if I do I'll let you know.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Maps and Tile on 02/27/2013 08:11:36 MST Print View

Craig - I already have a map, bought the Tom Harrison one at REI.
you don't need to make one for John either,
thanks for the tile work, I'm sure its great.

Edited by asandh on 02/27/2013 08:47:26 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Maps on 02/27/2013 08:26:47 MST Print View

Craig- I've got a map already as well- thanks

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: Maps on 02/27/2013 11:18:15 MST Print View

Mike - is your buddy from Hammer products coming ?

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Re: Re: Maps on 02/27/2013 11:41:55 MST Print View

Craig, I managed to round up a map. Thanks.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Hammer on 02/27/2013 12:36:21 MST Print View

Art- I don't believe so as I haven't heard anything (maybe he's just going to show up????)

Mike

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Membership on 02/27/2013 14:40:35 MST Print View

No wonder my "watch this thread" hasnt been working...my membership had expired! Gasp! I wonder how many ounces my gear list put on in the weeks since it expired! Thank god I dont have a scale, let's just pretend this never happened.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Joshua on 02/27/2013 14:49:20 MST Print View

Back on topic...kind of.

My favorite part of this whole process is being unsure of the outcome. No mattter how much I ran this past few months, no matter how much thought I put into my kit, no matter how many times I've been out there before...The work is still hard enough, the miles long enough, the sun hot enough, the desert real enough...that I cannot be sure what the day will bring. Only that I will be completely present in the experience. Good stuff.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

gone on 02/27/2013 16:31:39 MST Print View

was wondering where you'd been :)

I agree totally; not knowing exactly what to expect or the outcome clearly adds to the good stuff factor! It will be nice knowing that snow won't factor into this run though (probably jinxed us now)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Joshua on 02/27/2013 17:42:20 MST Print View

"...Only that I will be completely present in the experience. Good stuff."

Given my "training" for this one, I'm definitely going to be present in the experience. Very, very present.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Joshua on 02/27/2013 17:46:24 MST Print View

Craig - if you just carry a surf board you'll be fine.

Mike - I have seen snow in Josh in February, so we're not that far out of the woods on that one.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Very, very present on 02/27/2013 19:34:11 MST Print View

Being "the rookie" I expect to be all too present. This may be a bit much a bit too soon, but it's all about growing. This is going to be my transcendent moment like the English dood in 'A Man Called Horse' strung up in the sweat lodge. Either that or it'll be my destruction. Anyway, sounds like a good time.

p.s. Welcome back, Adan. I see you got your "F" for FUN Member :)

Edited by JacobD on 02/27/2013 19:35:31 MST.