Forum Index » Gear Lists » Patagonia Cap 2 or Merino 2 for the JMT?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
Patagonia Cap 2 or Merino 2 for the JMT? on 11/28/2012 14:12:17 MST Print View

I'm wondering based on the experience of others if the Patagonia Capilene 2 or Merino 2 would be the better bet of two for the JMT. I would be using a top and bottoms as my sleep clothes and for if I run in to a good amount of cold weather. Obviously the Merino 2 is heavier, but I'm wondering if the added weight is worth it for the stink resistance.

I'm guessing that I will probably only be wearing these clothes to sleep in, unless other think I will be needing them otherwise. I will be sleeping in a 20*F bag on a Exped SynMat UL 7 that may or may not have a trimmed Lawson EvaRest 1/8" mat (to prevent sliding and add R value) under it.

This would be for a trip starting toward the beginning of August. My worn clothing will be a long sleeved Arc'teryx Phase SL Crew and a pair of convertible KUHL pants.

Any advice you have is greatly appreciated, even if it's not the clothing choices I'm debating.

TIA

KJ

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
other options on 11/28/2012 14:18:52 MST Print View

I would also consider Icebreaker and I/O Merino if I could actually find weights for these pieces. I can actually get better prices on these products.

KJ

Charles P
(mediauras) - F

Locale: Terra
Re: Patagonia Cap 2 or Merino 2 for the JMT? on 11/28/2012 14:38:57 MST Print View

A cap 2 top would be more than enough for August on the JMT, especially in a 20 degree bag (unless you run super cold). It would be a great top to take on the trip. And you won't need any extra sleeping pad R value -- your temps will only be lower 40s, high 30s at the coldest. But its nice to take a CCF pad for just throwing down and napping on the spot without worry of puncture.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Patagonia Cap 2 or Merino 2 for the JMT? on 11/28/2012 18:30:23 MST Print View

the Cap 2 is going to be essentially the same as your Phase- a lightweight, breathable syn top

I wouldn't invest too much weight in "sleeping wear", I don't think bottoms are necessary in August-if you're adverse to sleeping in the clothing you hiked in- take an extra shirt and a extra pair of boxers

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Patagonia Cap 2 or Merino 2 for the JMT? on 11/28/2012 20:10:02 MST Print View

Cap 2. Synthetics are generally going to be warmer for their weight than wool. The benefits of wool are being warmer when wet and not getting stinky easily. Neither of those things are going to be important for sleeping clothes.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Itch! on 11/29/2012 17:05:45 MST Print View

My personal experience?

I found Capilene to be incredibly itchy to sleep in. meanwhile, I found wool to be a delight. I returned my capilene baselayer and have been sleeping and living in my Smartwool Merino Wool Baselayer for a year now. We're engaged, the wedding is in January.

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle) - F
Re: on 11/30/2012 15:56:16 MST Print View

I hiked it in August this year. I never hiked in the Icebreaker 150 leggings and Ibex Hoody that I brought, but I did typically wear them from the time I got done hiking for the day to the next morning when I started hiking again. I think they worked well. If I were to do it again though, I'd probably buy the 200 weight Icebreaker bottoms. My legs still felt a little cold sometimes without a campfire/above treeline.

I should add that they didn't stink at all by the end of the trip. My synthetic baselayer was rancid though.

Edited by travis.bickle on 11/30/2012 15:57:36 MST.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
....... on 12/22/2012 00:26:49 MST Print View

Probably not considered UL, but i like to carry a set of light weight silk sleeping clothes, just for sleeping. If any of your day wear is itchy, you can wear the silk beneath it and be fine, and silk is surprisingly warm for it's weight.