Forum Index » Gear Swap » PIF: Need a Knife?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
PIF: Need a Knife? on 11/27/2012 15:10:26 MST Print View

I recently read Luke 18:22 where Jesus tells the rich young man who wants to get into heaven, "Sell all you have and give to the poor". I've been thinking about it, and it occurred to me that I have a heck of a lot of knives, especially Bark River (fixed blade) and one-hand openers (Bench made and Spyderco)....selling might be one way to help folks in need, but what about direct giving? I've had a lot of fun giving nice knives to young guys and gals who love the outdoors but are seriously poor college students, etc.

So here's the deal:

If you know someone who is low on the economic scale, but could really use a nice Barkie or one-hand opener, send me a note at grampa (dot) barber (at) gmail (dot) com. Tell me what sort of knife he or she could use, and I'll see what I can come up with. These will be users, maybe without boxes, slightly dinged blades maybe, amateur-waxed sheaths, etc. If you want I'll send you a photo of the knife before I ship it. I will ship it to you free and post paid. If you want to give a Bark River knife a Spa treatment (something Bark River does for a minimal price for their knives - makes the knife like new. I can send you details), it's up to you (you send it!). Then you can give it to your friend in whatever manner would be most meaningful to you and them - my name doesn't need to come into it at all.

Also, just to be clear, these are not ultrlight knives. They are much more in the traditional knife mode.
FWIW, I have a lot of small Barkies, quite a few medium sized, some larger ones, a few non-BRK fixed blades (like a Kabar), and a dozen or two one-handers that I can pass on.

Please email me at the above address, don't PM me or describe your friend on the forum here. But do email me if there's someone you know who could use a good blade but can't afford one. Even if it's you!

Oh, and obviously, this is not for expanding your own knife collection!!! For that you can buy one - even one of mine, and I'll donate the $$$ to an appropriate non-profit.

Edited by grampa on 11/27/2012 15:19:42 MST.

Doug Wolfe
(Wolfie2nd) - F
right on man!!! on 11/27/2012 16:54:48 MST Print View

Right on man!!! Way to spread the love!!!
Its funny how the Big Man makes you think...

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

re: PIF on 11/27/2012 16:56:05 MST Print View

Cool! One going out for sure tomorrow, and another waiting on a decision as to which knife is preferred!

Keep 'em coming, folks!

Charles P
(mediauras)

Locale: Terra
Re: re: PIF on 11/27/2012 17:40:40 MST Print View

Fantastic PIF and gesture! Very moving.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

All knives out on 12/06/2012 23:50:21 MST Print View

All the knives have been mailed out by USPS Parcel Post. Given the Christmas rush, it may take a week or so to get to their destinations.

Thanks for your help!

D S
(onthecouchagain) - MLife

Locale: Sunny SoCal
nice Stephen... on 12/07/2012 10:34:58 MST Print View

Hope to keep the thread alive...what a great gesture. I'm sure those luck people really appreciated your generosity but more importantly just plain being a good human.

way to go...

Edited by onthecouchagain on 12/07/2012 10:36:22 MST.