Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: GGG5: Trail Run Anyone? on 01/07/2013 19:32:31 MST Print View

Would like to meet you finally Aaron. Hope you can make it too.

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
5th annual Bay Area GGG 5 transport on 01/07/2013 19:53:50 MST Print View

I am inclined to head out Thursday night and camp. I can adjust this if people in the Bay Area are interested in car pooling from SF on Friday. I have a Subaru wagon and can accommodate 3 passengers with UL gear.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
5TH Annual GGG 1/25-27, 2013 Henry Coe St Park on 01/07/2013 21:26:05 MST Print View

Heading out to the Mississippi Lake Loop(25 miles)late Thursday afternoon or early Friday morning. I will meet up with the GGG group probally Saturday afternoon. If anyone has interest in a backpacking trip before the Gathering of Gear Geeks send me a PM. Thanks

Is --B.G.-- coming?

Edited by Creachen on 01/07/2013 21:29:54 MST.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: 5TH Annual GGG 1/25-27, 2013 Henry Coe St Park on 01/07/2013 21:33:39 MST Print View

Hahahha... man I really missed out last year.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5TH Annual GGG 1/25-27, 2013 Henry Coe St Park on 01/07/2013 21:33:45 MST Print View

"Is --B.G.-- coming?"

Yes. the one in the photo is coming.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: 5TH Annual GGG 1/25-27, 2013 Henry Coe St Park on 01/07/2013 23:07:29 MST Print View

But, but, that is some imposter. He's probably a foreign agent or something.

--B.G.--

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: GGG instructions for those who don't like to read. on 01/08/2013 01:49:06 MST Print View

Ken Thompson writ:
-----------------------------------
A note to pot smokers: Be a little discreet would you? Not everyone does or wants to see you doing. No pulling bongs out in the middle of a group like it is legal. Not everyone has a 215 either I bet. Just be cool OK? Seriously.
-----------------------------------

I had forgotten that this might be an issue. Since reading your comment I've been mulling it over, and though I feel sort of ridiculous asking this, I've come to the conclusion that I have to ask because I don't have enough information to make a reasonable guess. My question is: How hard is it going to be for me to avoid exposure to pot if I go?

I have a fairly severe allergy to marijuana, and it only takes a tiny exposure to set it off. I've had asthma attacks triggered by someone lighting up half a block away, and have often become ill after a few minutes of being in the vicinity (say 10-15 feet away) of someone who had a closed baggie full in a pocket. My reactions aren't life-threatening but they are profoundly annoying.

I'm not asking anyone to make accommodations for me; I don't think it's right to infringe on other people's enjoyment. But I am wondering, do people tend to hike off in the distance to smoke, or will they be doing it around the campfire? And is the site laid out in such a way that I could make sure my tent isn't next to someone's stash?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5TH Annual GGG 1/25-27, 2013 Henry Coe St Park on 01/08/2013 06:14:16 MST Print View

Rowan. It is not like a Dead show. People usually hike off somewhere. I'm just putting it out there so people can be aware. It is a big enough camping area that you can have a weed free zone. The majority of those who attend do not partake.

I went back and forth deciding whether to bring it up or not. Been a non issue so far.

Edited by kthompson on 01/08/2013 06:18:58 MST.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
carpooling on 01/08/2013 12:01:21 MST Print View

Anyone in the Berkeley/Oakland area want to carpool? I can drive(full disclosure: my car smells a bit funky from taking my dog to her regular mud baths)or ride+pay for gas. Flexible on departure times.

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
Re: Re: GGG instructions for those who don't like to read. on 01/08/2013 12:11:08 MST Print View

Rowan,

Smoking various plants has often been accommodated by discrete "Safety Meetings". Something similar will most likely occur at the GGG without too much coercion.

Edited by mtblack on 01/09/2013 19:37:16 MST.

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Re: GGG instructions for those who don't like to read. on 01/09/2013 04:06:03 MST Print View

Okay then! I will request that Friday off, and join you all unless my vacation day gets denied for some reason. I will need to carpool with someone from the Bay Area. I'm on the Peninsula but I can take BART or Caltrain to any station that's convenient for you. And of course I will share the cost of gas.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: 5TH Annual GGG 1/25-27, 2013 Henry Coe St Park on 01/09/2013 13:59:39 MST Print View

Ken,

I think that your calling out that pot smokers should be respectful of others around them was absolutely the right call.

Better to have the issue out there and known vs. a surprise that might offend, upset, or hurt people with allergies to smoke.

That said, with all of the GGGs that I have been to, everyone who does partake in smoking has been great about asking if it was okay or if it would offend.

It has been done descretely and not in the open of the whole group.

If the past is any indication, those who enjoy smoking will congregate together and will do so away from the rest of the main gathering.

If anyone where to have an issue with the activity being too close them, I am sure that a polite and civil conversation that is not judgemental about the activity can be had and accomodations will be made.

As I have said in the past, some of the best people I have met are my fellow backpackers/BPLers....I would be shocked if there were problems over this issue.

If someone is not comfortable talking directly to someone who smoke, feel free to talk to Ken or myself and we can bring it up with the person.

We are all here to have fun.

-Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

GGG @ Henry Coe in two weeks on 01/09/2013 18:55:55 MST Print View

Wed. after next I'll be packing up and getting ready to head south Thurs. morning. Can hardly believe it is that close. Don't wait until the last minute to ask a question of me. I'll be on the road and no internet for me once I leave the house.

Was listening to Ron Moak on the UK podcasts from the Outdoors Station. He talks about revealing some new groundbreaking product at an event at the end of Jan. That's us people! Surprise! Cool.

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Re: GGG @ Henry Coe in two weeks on 01/09/2013 22:21:13 MST Print View

Got my vacation day! Will be sending funds shortly.

What's the best way to arrange carpooling? Sharon, I tried to PM you but it told me you don't have PMs set up.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

GGG @ Henry Coe in two weeks on 01/10/2013 06:52:33 MST Print View

Thanks Rowan

Try Sharon again, looks like PMs are set up.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. basic information on 01/10/2013 19:58:06 MST Print View

Who: BPLrs and their ilk.

What: GGG 5.0 The annual get together Don't forget the gear swap!

Where: Henry W. Coe State Park Group Spot #5 is where you will find the courtesy tent and camping info. We have group spot 4 also, That one has Oaks for shade and hammocks. Two new bathrooms too.

When: January 25-27th 2013 A few will be car camping Thurs. night the 24th at the HQ campground. I'll be in spot 19. Rain or shine, or snow even. We will be centered in group spot 5. Check in there before you select a site.

How it works:
The group spots are dry, no water. No problem, We will haul in plenty of water for everyone. We are also able to shuttle food, equipment, firewood and a few people even to the group spot by vehicle(weather permitting). If you are in need of having stuff hauled in please follow these steps. By mid afternoon Friday. We have to go in before the staff goes home/before dark. Drive to campsite 19 at the HQ campground and drop off your stuff. Get your parking permit ($8.00 per night) at the HQ and go park in the overflow lot down the hill a bit from the HQ. You do need to pay for parking at the park. Then hike to camp and be reunited with your stuff.
The park does not allow us to make multiple trips back and forth to haul stuff in. We need to do one big load. Any thing else can be hauled in by bicycle trailer as well. I will see about getting one vehicle in on Saturday.

As always your financial support to cover costs is greatly appreciated/needed. kenthompson2(at)mac.com is my Paypal address.
I'm asking $15 each this time around.

Read the whole first post in this thread before you PM me with any questions. But feel free to PM me about anything.

Edited by kthompson on 01/10/2013 22:00:05 MST.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/12/2013 00:01:22 MST Print View

I plan on coming. I would drive from Santa Rosa through the east bay (berkley, oakland, ect.) Anybody want to carpool? I would really like to cut down on gas and parking costs. I can drive. Or if someone else is driving, I could pitch it for gas/parking. It's a little far off, so people will probably figure out carpooling later.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/12/2013 07:24:59 MST Print View

Justin, I live in Penngrove, just north of Petaluma. Would love to carpool. I am bringing some of my cottage products to sell - do you have room for about 4 or 5 file boxes in addition to our gear? I'd be happy to split gas and pay for parking. Was going to send you a PM but don't know how to do it.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Gearswap @ Henry Coe. on 01/12/2013 09:52:05 MST Print View

Just a reminder. I think we should do it Saturday. What do you think? Weather forecast looks nice. So support vehicles will be able to haul your stuff in. Read instructions in first post.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Locale: www.hikelighter.com
Re: Gearswap @ Henry Coe. on 01/12/2013 09:59:57 MST Print View

Sweet!!

While I do not have four or five boxes worth of stuff... I should have an entire sub five pound setup that is sitting around gathering dust that I will probably take and have for sale. Sold at least four complete setups last year, this will be a good way to kick off the 2013 season. Bring your money folks!!! :-D

Items on my wishlist:

Garmin GPSMAP 62S
TiGoat Bug Bivy
Bare Boxer Contender
Western Mountaineering Badger GWS, 6 foot, left side zipper
SMD Skyscape - X (because three is never enough!)
MontBell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger, #1, left zipper, regular size
SMD Gatewood Cape (come on ron, give us a cuben fiber one of these!!!)
Bearikade Expedition
Bearikade Weekend

Edited by JohnAbela on 01/12/2013 10:03:42 MST.