Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/16/2013 06:51:47 MST Print View

Yeah!! See you both there!

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Geocaching Activity for Kids at Henry Coe on 01/16/2013 16:09:10 MST Print View

This year's GGG 5 will offer a geocaching course for kids. We will hide special geocaches just for this event. The kids will be allowed to take an item from each geocache they find. So there is no need to bring trading items like you would have to for normal geocaching.

I would appreciate if interested parents provide some input. That will help me a lot in preparing the event.

1) How many kids are you bringing?
2) Will you bring your own GPS receiver or do you need a loaner?
3) Do you prefer to have this activity Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning?
4) Would you like to get an "Introduction into using a GPS receiver" for your kid?

At least for my kids geocaching is a great way to get them to hike longer distances. Finding 10 geocaches along a 5 mile loop is great fun to them. They don't even notice the distance while competing to be first at the geocache.

The map of the area of our campsite has one obvious loop of roughly 5 miles (going down to China Hole, going to Madrone Soda Springs, going back up to the camp sites).

5) Would your child enjoy the whole loop (given enough geocaches) or do you prefer a shorter in-and-out between the group camp and Blue Oak Horse Camp?

Henry Coe

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/16/2013 17:31:50 MST Print View

I would like to add +1. I am going to be picking up Kyle on the way. He doesn't have paypal, so he will pay you cash when he gets there.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Geocaching Activity for Kids at Henry Coe on 01/16/2013 19:26:36 MST Print View

Thanks for this Manfred. I can loan out a GPS if needed. I'll pack it now so I don't forget.

OK Justin. see you both there.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
GPS on 01/16/2013 19:52:06 MST Print View

Manfred
Thanks so much for your efforts on this. This really is going to be a great activity for the children. I will bring two girls ages 12 and 9. We don't have a GPS. We will probably arrive late Friday (after 5 p.m.). Other than that, we're totally flexible on the timing. We're all looking forward to it!
Jim

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Re: GPS on 01/17/2013 02:04:34 MST Print View

James, if you have a smartphone, you can get some topo gps apps that work surprisingly well.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
Smartphone w/GPS on 01/17/2013 05:34:22 MST Print View

Thanks for the info Justin. In that case, we will bring one smartphone GPS.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/17/2013 06:17:18 MST Print View

Just a week away now.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/17/2013 13:08:24 MST Print View

Ken,

Looks like I will be solo on this trip.

Daughter can not get out of gymnastics for that day until 3pm Saturday, so no family. :)

Wanted them to see the stupid stuff that daddy does his friends. :)

By the way, do you want me to bring out Duraflame logs as fire starters for the campfires?

I still have a Costco size box of these from last year that I can bring out.

We can load them onto the support vehicle or I can carry some in and see if I can find some volunteers to take a log in each.

Trying to get over this flu bug that has been running around...either way, I am going to get myself out there.

Looking forward to seeing everyone...old and new friends!

Also...given that there will be water brought in, do you think that a point should be made that people should still bring in a few liters????

I think that the water bladder that Marc bought last time had a capacity of 50 gallons.

Probably enough water being brought in to suppliment people, but they should bring in some water to start with.

What do you think Ken?

-Tony

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/17/2013 14:24:39 MST Print View

Duraflame log? Tisk tisk... I can carry in a very sharp axe for splitting kindling off the firewood, if that would be useful.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/17/2013 16:53:30 MST Print View

Justin,

Well, your idea does seem waaaaaay too logicial, but if I want to train to become a professional sherpa, I have to get used to carry heavy loads.

Plus, who does not love a duraflame log?

I hear that they make great fire starters and doubles as a pillow. :)

Then again, which is lighter....the 5 lb log or the axe?

-Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/17/2013 17:44:04 MST Print View

Tony. I know you are trying to get rid of those logs. Why not bring a few as cheater starters.

As far as water is concerned.. Marc will bring his 75 gallon water bag. I will have another 15 gallons. I would say if you are camping then maybe bring in a liter. If you are coming only for the day then you should pack in most of your own, I doubt we'll run out.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/17/2013 18:18:30 MST Print View

"Marc will bring his 75 gallon water bag."

Hey, that's multipurpose. It can double as a water bed.

--B.G.--

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/17/2013 22:06:56 MST Print View

Actually the bladder is 50 gal. I can bring 20 more in five gal. containers.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: water at Coe on 01/17/2013 22:10:25 MST Print View

Did you dump some out or did you have left over Marc? I still had some left in the jugs. People seem to pack some in anyway.
Plus people drink things other than water while there.
I'll bring another 6 gallons.

Edited by kthompson on 01/17/2013 22:33:42 MST.

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/17/2013 22:40:52 MST Print View

There was still some left in the bladder last year.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/17/2013 22:42:41 MST Print View

So plenty of water then. Thanks Marc.

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Parking and Camping Fees at Henry Coe on 01/18/2013 10:43:01 MST Print View

In case you arrive Friday evening after the rangers are gone it is a good idea to have exact change for the "iron ranger" - or a check.

The current fees at Henry Coe are $8 for parking per day and $5 for camping per person per day.

See you all next weekend,

Manfred

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
GPS data -- Geocaching for Kids on 01/18/2013 11:10:57 MST Print View

For everyone who brings their own GPS or their smartphone with a geocaching app, I prepared a GPX file for download.

Gaia GPS and OruxMaps are two of several apps for your iPhone or your Android phone that allow you to import the GPX file.

Don't worry if you don't have a GPS. I will bring 7 GPS loaners that have this GPX file already loaded and are ready to go whenever you and your kid are ready.

The GPX file contains
1) 14 special geocaches that will be placed Saturday morning. Your kids will be allowed to take one item out of each cache.
2) 16 normal geocaches. Normal geocaching rules apply - meaning your kids can trade items (for example an item they took from one of the special caches)
3) 1 track that you can follow to get to camp and do the geocaching loops.

There will actually be two geocaching loops.
1) Less than a mile going from Camp 9 to Camp 7 to Camp 8 to Camp 9. This loop offers 4 special geocaches and is a good warm up. That way your kids get the idea and can ask any questions about the use of the GPS units.
2) 5 miles with 12 geocaches (first and last are the same for both loops). First 3 miles going from Camp 9 down to China Hole, 1 mile along Coyote Creek, 1 mile back up to camp. I will see that I put the more exciting prizes in the caches along the last mile so the kids enjoy it despite the climb.

Below is a map of the courses and all the caches.

This should be fun!

Manfred

P.S.: So far I have 6 kids (ages 9, 9, 11, 11, 12, 14) on my list. Please let me know if you bring kids.

Henry Coe Caches

Edited by Orienteering on 01/19/2013 11:22:40 MST.