Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 12/31/2012 18:13:56 MST Print View

Not windy either.

Be there you'll see.

Disclaimer: I have no influence on the weather.

Edited by kthompson on 01/13/2013 22:08:20 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/02/2013 07:07:04 MST Print View

Welcome in the New Year and new gear with all of us at Coe.

We have group spots 4 and 5 so far...

Still plenty of room.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
GGG5: Trail Run Anyone? on 01/02/2013 15:26:47 MST Print View

I'm thinking about hitting up a short run whilst GGGing. Going to start at camp, head down to Soda Springs, then along the creek to China Hole, ascending up to Manzanita Point and back to camp via the China Hole Trail. This is roughly a 4.5-5 mile run/hike (emphasis on run). It's more or less a split between downhill and uphill, first losing ~1100 feet over ~2.5 miles, then gaining it back.

I was thinking Sat morning or afternoon... either way. Anyone want to join me?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Fifty+ BPLr's in one spot on 01/03/2013 06:19:12 MST Print View

Have just over 50 signed up. Three weeks away.

Still plenty of space.

R.S.V.P.

Russell S
(HikingMano)

Locale: Bay Area
Re: Fifty+ BPLr's in one spot on 01/03/2013 09:15:48 MST Print View

I don't think I can make this one, but is there a deadline of some sort, just in case I discover I am able to attend?

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Fifty+ BPLr's in one spot on 01/03/2013 11:52:05 MST Print View

Russell,

RSVPing in advance helps Ken know what to expect and is appreciated.

However, I think that he has three group sites reserved with a capacity of 75-100???

Maybe Ken can chime in on what the max capacity is.

Point is that if we are no where near the max. capacity, showing up on the fly is fine...just slide a few bucks to Ken when you show up.

Ken has been great in that he has been fronting all the money for this out of his pocket and then asking people to Paypal him a few dollars to recoup cost of reserving the sites and for supplies for the GGG.

Hope you can make it....should be a lot of fun to make new friends, see familiar faces, and to check out the tons of gear that people have.

-Tony

Russell S
(HikingMano)

Re: Re: Fifty+ BPLr's in one spot on 01/03/2013 12:13:31 MST Print View

Right, I will of course try to let him know and send money ASAP if I am able to attend. Nice to know there is some wiggle room if you guys are, at most, 2/3 capacity currently. Thanks, Tony! Ken, it is indeed great of you to put this together. If I can't do this year, I'll be sure to block off time for the next one.

George Davis
(nsiderbam) - F - M

Locale: mid-Atlantic
darn on 01/03/2013 14:51:44 MST Print View

This looks like a blast -- I wish there was some way I could make it!

Have fun everyone!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/04/2013 20:24:26 MST Print View

No deadlines. I know people may not decide until the last minute. It's winter and the weather is unpredictable. That's cool, I get it. Those that do commit early on do make the whole thing possible and I have to extend a special thanks to you all. If I had the money to front it all I would. This is not the case. So paying in advance is a huge help.

Now of course people are welcome to come out for the day. Saturday will be the day to see the most of everything and everyone.

You'll need to take care of your parking permit at the headquarters. Park in the overflow lot before the top of the hill. Look for signage. Then come on over and say hi.

Russell S
(HikingMano)

Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/04/2013 20:30:11 MST Print View

Haha, I'm fine with any weather, it's the existing plans with the GF :) I hope I can swing it, if not, have fun you all, and I hope to see you all next year.

Linda Vassallo
(eastbayhiker)

Locale: Eastbay
Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/05/2013 17:38:07 MST Print View

Hello Ken. I will attend. This is my first time to join the festivities and I'm looking forward to it.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/06/2013 07:48:18 MST Print View

Thanks Linda.

Everyone: I need to update the first post. Please read it or re read it first. Thanks.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

GGG instructions for those who don't like to read. on 01/06/2013 07:59:07 MST Print View

You know who you are.. This is the minimum.

As always your financial support to cover costs is greatly appreciated/needed. kenthompson2(at)mac.com is my Paypal address.
I'm asking $15 each this time around. Don't forget to get a parking pass from the park office. After hours check in available.

Who: BPLrs and their ilk.

What: GGG 5.0 The annual get together

Where: Henry W. Coe State Park Group Spot #5 is where you will find the courtesy tent and camping info. We have group spot 4 also, That one has Oaks for shade and hammocks. Two new bathrooms too.

When: January 25-27th 2013 A few will be car camping Thurs. night the 24th at the HQ campground. I'll be in spot 19. Rain or shine, or snow even. We will be centered in group spot 5. Check in there before you select a site.

How it works:
The group spots are dry, no water. No problem, We will haul in plenty of water for everyone. We are also able to shuttle food, equipment, firewood and a few people even to the group spot by vehicle(weather permitting). If you are in need of having stuff hauled in please follow these steps. By mid afternoon Friday. We have to go in before the staff goes home/before dark. Drive to campsite 19 at the HQ campground and drop off your stuff. Get your parking permit at the HQ and go park in the overflow lot down the hill a bit from the HQ. Then hike to camp and be reunited with your stuff.
The park does not allow us to make multiple trips back and forth to haul stuff in. We need to do one big load. Any thing else can be hauled in by bicycle trailer as well. I will see about getting one vehicle in on Saturday.

With families now coming just a few words on behavior.

A note to drinkers: Know your limit and don't get annoying.

A note to pot smokers: Be a little discreet would you? Not everyone does or wants to see you doing. No pulling bongs out in the
middle of a group like it is legal. Not everyone has a 215 either I bet. Just be cool OK? Seriously.

If you make a bad guest you will be ejected. NO BS. Everyone is there for a good time, Don't be a downer.

Edited by kthompson on 01/06/2013 08:02:39 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. less than 3 weeks away on 01/07/2013 12:00:56 MST Print View

There is still room. Don't miss out.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: GGG5: Trail Run Anyone? on 01/07/2013 16:43:21 MST Print View

No takers on the trail run? We can always try a blindfolded run through the trees, but I think the trail run might be more fun.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: GGG5: Trail Run Anyone? on 01/07/2013 16:51:58 MST Print View

I'll join you as long as I'm able to go.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Re: Re: GGG5: Trail Run Anyone? on 01/07/2013 17:21:16 MST Print View

Sounds good Aaron. Hope you can make it out.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
Edibles on 01/07/2013 18:21:37 MST Print View

Ken
I understand and appreciate your concern about pungent aromas and whipping out unusual items around children. Legitimate cardholders can pick up edibles or tinctures instead and keep them under their strict control. A discrete puff here and there or on the way to restrooms won't hurt anyone, but we don't want our group mistaken for a reggae festival. Having said that, as one of those bringing children, we all know any behavior problems are likely to stem from alcohol, not cannabis, so let's not freak out if a trace of that hard-to-hide aroma is noticed. Discretion and common sense.
BTW, any packrafters coming?

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Packrafters coming on 01/07/2013 18:35:20 MST Print View

Yes, but without the boat this trip.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Edibles on 01/07/2013 18:58:19 MST Print View

Thanks James.

Disclaimer: Deb's brownies are delicious, but not enhanced brownies.