5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/26/2012 19:22:56 MST Print View

Edit: Post updated Jan. 22nd

To the BPL family.

Please welcome in 2013 by attending the 5th annual GGG. January 25-27th at Henry W. Coe State Park in Morgan Hill, CA.

Manzanita Point Group Spot #5 is where you will find the big blue and white courtesy tent and camping info. We have group spot

4 also, That one has Oaks for shade and hammocks. Two new bathrooms too. Around 3.2 mile easy hike/ride in. There will be

some organized events again this year along with some special presentations. Another big crowd this year.

We will have more room to spread out.

We will have support vehicles like last year. This allows us to haul in firewood, water, supplies to camp.

Better signage this time. So look for signs.

Let me know if you plan to bike in and have a trailer. You could be useful. Anyone? Brompton?

As always your financial support to cover costs is greatly appreciated/needed. kenthompson2(at)mac.com is my Paypal address.
I'm asking $15 each this time around.
If you are going to pay me in camp, please try to not need change. I'll have some, but people love their 20s.

Be nice to Ranger Jen Nabor, and all the volunteers. They have been good to us.

How it works:

The group spots are dry, no water. No problem, We will haul in plenty of water for everyone. We are also able to shuttle food, equipment, firewood and a few people even to the group spot by vehicle(weather permitting). If you are in need of having stuff hauled in please follow these steps. By mid afternoon Friday, Saturday morning. We have to go in before the staff goes home/before dark. Drive to campsite 19 at the HQ campground and drop off your stuff. Buy your parking permit($8per day/night, try not to need change, checks OK) at the HQ and go park in the overflow lot down the hill a bit from the HQ. Then hike to camp and be reunited with your stuff.

***** Arriving after hours/dark?

Permits at iron ranger across from the visitor center. If overflow lot gate is closed and looks locked, it is not. Just lift off the chain, pull in and close the gate behind you.*****

The park does not allow us to make multiple trips back and forth to haul stuff in. We need to do one big load ideally. Any thing else can be hauled in by bicycle trailer as well. I will get one vehicle in on Saturday.

If you have been contacted about a parking permit they will be waiting for you at park HQ.

Not sure how to get there? Look here.

http://coepark.net/pineridgeassociation/planning-your-visit/visitor-centers-and-park-entrances/visitor-center

HQ address is 9100 E Dunne Ave, Morgan Hill, CA 95037

http://coepark.net/pineridgeassociation/documents/maps/western_zone/hq_hiking_map.pdf

What about the weather?

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:95037.1.99999

If you are thinking about the car camping spots by the park HQ, say for Thurs. night they are $20 a night, one vehicle.

I have reserved spot 19. This spot has good parking nearby so you can drop off what you want shuttled to camp.

Questions? Ask away...

If all goes well Cameron may have some home brew.

Live Gearswap. Sell a little, buy a little.
Too many seemed to miss out on the swap in the lot last time. I figure if we do it Saturday in camp, how could you miss it? With some vehicles for support it should not be much of a burden. Any other suggestions?

Amy L. and Jim will be there too giving a talk about the birds of Coe.

Geocacheing with Manfred

More cottage manufacturers this time too.

Grant and crew, Gossamer Gear
Ron Moak, Six Moon Designs And he's got a surprise!
Kat P., Mountaingoat Hats and Goods Kat will do another nature hike.
Jack Elliot, Borah Gear
The Trail Designs Crew
D. Gardner, G.O.L.D.
+more

Burn off is back this time. Bring your wood stove. I'll supply the "official competition grade wood" for the contest. It's dry, and it is wood. No more info until contest time.

Hikin Jim will be back with more pyrotechnics

Andrew Johnson, Gaia app developer will be there to do a demo.

Gonna be a good one!

With families now coming just a few words on behavior.

The following I'm just putting out there. There have been no issues...

A note to drinkers: Know your limit and don't get annoying.

A note to pot smokers: Be a little discreet would you? Not everyone does or want to see you doing. No pulling bongs out in the
middle of a group like it is legal. Not everyone has a 215 either I bet. Just be cool OK?

If you make a bad guest you will be ejected. NO BS. Everyone is there for a good time, Don't be a downer.

Edited by kthompson on 01/23/2013 19:09:55 MST.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
GGG Again Yahoo!! on 11/26/2012 21:21:36 MST Print View

Doug,

If Tony pays the $15.00 you can bunk with me, no pit toilet here. Seriously though, if you come out it's going to be a blast, you're always great company and loads of laughter. I'll be bringing some gear from Borahgear.com so everyone can check out our product. Tarps, bivys, and a few smaller items, and maybe a backpack if I can get it here in time. I'm thinking of bringing my MYOG oven again if any body wants to try thier hand at baking biscuits for biscuits and gravy in the morning, muffins, or browines. Should be fun, it works best with charcoal. If anyone wants to bring extra charcoal to bake with, that would be great, 1 charcoal equals approx. 37* so 10 would equal 370* just to give people an idea.

Edited to clean it up a bit, didn't want people getting the wrong idea. LOL

See everyone soon, Jack

Edited by jumpbackjack on 11/27/2012 19:41:08 MST.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/27/2012 12:48:53 MST Print View

I'm going to try attend this one pending vacation time, etc. I'll paypal the funds once I know for sure that I am able to join the festivities. I hope you guys don't mind a n00b joining in :)

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/27/2012 14:39:01 MST Print View

Mangus,

Thanks for letting us know that you plan on attending.

Everyone is welcome to come...in fact, we encourage new people to come!

The great thing about the GGG is that we all have a built in ice breaker...love of the outdoors and gear!

You will fit in perfectly fine with the rest of the gear geeks. :)

-Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/27/2012 21:26:38 MST Print View

Tony is correct. Noobs and lurkers are welcome as well. Had quite a number of lurkers come out of hiding in Feb. Very fun.

Doug Coe
(sierraDoug) - M

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA
5th GGG on 11/27/2012 22:27:32 MST Print View

I'll be there. Looking forward to it!

Ken--What would be good amount for each of us to contribute to cover the costs? Thanks.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th GGG on 11/27/2012 22:49:36 MST Print View

Oops Doug. Missed that. $15

I've edited the first post.

Thanks.

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
sleeping next to the pit toilet on 11/28/2012 20:38:54 MST Print View

You might have to sleep next to the pit toilet, but I will pay for you."

well figure it this way doug it has to be better than sleeping anywhere near jack and his self proclaimed (i don t snore that loud ) statement did he mention anything about providing EARPLUGS to all who are interrested lol

kevin

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/29/2012 07:05:42 MST Print View

Those new pit toilets sure are nice for what they are. We won't be using that old long drop this time around.

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

GGG 5.0 on 11/29/2012 10:42:13 MST Print View

I just sent you a payment Ken. Looking forward to GGG 5.0!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/30/2012 06:30:08 MST Print View

Remember everyone is welcome. One week closer. Thanks to all who have paid so far, helps a lot.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

All BPLrs in the S.F. Bay Area please read. on 11/30/2012 06:54:59 MST Print View

Don't miss out. Come just for the day if you wish. I know there are tons of you out there. Here is your chance to meet those internet personalities in the flesh.

Help to promote this event. Tell your friends. Spread the word.

Edited by kthompson on 11/30/2012 07:01:48 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: All BPLrs in the S.F. Bay Area please read. on 11/30/2012 19:42:45 MST Print View

And check out the BPL member map to see just a fraction of who's out there near you. Carpool if you can. We'll use the overflow lot again.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

All BPLrs in the S.F. Bay Area please read. on 12/01/2012 08:54:01 MST Print View

nm

Edited by kthompson on 01/13/2013 22:05:53 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 12/01/2012 09:54:09 MST Print View

Over 100 Geocaching sites in the park. Just sayin'

The hub of the group camping area is group spot #5 New pit toilets on either side, plenty of room.

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Will bring our four daughters (ages 9 - 14) on 12/01/2012 17:07:21 MST Print View

Ken,

thanks so much for organizing the event again!

Michelle and I will bring this time our four daughters (ages 9 to 14). We would be open to organize an activity for children if others bring their kids too. We could for example set a geocaching course with special geocaches where the kids would be allowed to keep their finds. That would make for a fun hike for the kids. We have 6 GPS receivers we could bring to lend to kids. Do you have any idea how many kids will come? Would there be budget to buy little prizes to fill the caches?

Best Regards,

Manfred

P.S.: I sent you $90 via PayPal for our family.

Soul patch
(mtblack) - F
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 12/01/2012 17:24:15 MST Print View

I plan on actually making it this year and am inclined to camp on Thursday night since it's so close, but I am also interested in carpooling, if anyone is interested, out of San Francisco. Subaru wagon, plenty of room.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Will bring our four daughters (ages 9 - 14) on 12/01/2012 19:18:34 MST Print View

Sounds like fun Manfred. Sure we can round up some treasures for the caches. If you have some ideas on what that should be I'd appreciate that. Kid wise. Another 6 at least on top of yours.

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Geocaching Treasures on 12/01/2012 20:16:16 MST Print View

Ken,

When we organize geocaching treasure hunts for youth (boys scouts, girls scouts) we usually get prizes from the dollar store that are somehow useful for the rest of the event like flashlights, compasses, glow sticks, carabiners, etc. Let me know if you want me to get the prizes.

Manfred

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 12/02/2012 21:44:34 MST Print View

I'm on it Manfred. Thanks again.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. 53 days away on 12/03/2012 06:28:07 MST Print View

Getting closer all the time. If you are coming or at least plan to come, please chime in.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. 53 days away on 12/03/2012 13:29:47 MST Print View

Ken,

I'm planning on being there. Most likely with a +1. I'll let you know my final count closer to the event.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 12/05/2012 18:29:37 MST Print View

I look forward to seeing you again Eric.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Hey So Cal BPLrs on 12/05/2012 18:49:03 MST Print View

Carpool and come on up. I'm driving 7 hours south. You could head north, meet in the middle at Henry Coe.

Joshua Billings
(Joshua) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca
I'm coming too on 12/05/2012 21:37:03 MST Print View

Should be a blast again.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 12/06/2012 06:37:48 MST Print View

Help spread the word. Invite those who you would like to see there.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

A good crowd already 30+ on 12/06/2012 22:30:41 MST Print View

Thanks to all that have chimed in so far. Group size is building. I hope it is the best GGG yet.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Live Gearswap on 12/07/2012 10:01:39 MST Print View

50 days from today!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

All BPLrs in the S.F. Bay Area please read. on 12/08/2012 08:22:13 MST Print View

Don't miss out.

Spread the word.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 12/08/2012 19:43:14 MST Print View

Saturday evening bump...

Check the first post for information.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 12/09/2012 14:11:23 MST Print View

Alright man, I'm paid up.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 12/09/2012 18:31:22 MST Print View

Such a good group of people so far. I can hardly wait!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 12/12/2012 06:22:58 MST Print View

Read the Cliff Notes at the end of the first post.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
bump on 12/13/2012 20:57:18 MST Print View

I'll give Ken a break from having to bump today. Looking forward to meeting many of you, and seeing all this gear that, as a noob, I've only read about!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

All BPLrs in the S.F. Bay Area please read. on 12/15/2012 07:28:44 MST Print View

Thanks Sharon.

48 days away now.

Read first post for the latest updates.

Still plenty of room.

Don't forget to bring your no longer needed items to the Gearswap!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: All BPLrs in the S.F. Bay Area please read. on 12/15/2012 08:49:12 MST Print View

Unfortunately, looks like I won't be able to make it.

Y'all have fun!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: All BPLrs in the S.F. Bay Area please read. on 12/15/2012 08:50:22 MST Print View

Dogs ruin everything.

Sorry to hear that Doug.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Count me in too on 12/15/2012 16:13:30 MST Print View

PayPal sent Ken. Thanks for setting it all up.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 12/15/2012 16:19:05 MST Print View

Thanks Brian.
I've updated the guest list.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Gearswap at Henry Coe! on 12/16/2012 09:37:27 MST Print View

With the holidays I'm sure some of you will have some surplus to unload.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Who's bringing a bike with trailer? on 12/16/2012 09:40:09 MST Print View

A few of these could make life easier for a bunch of people. Please chime in if you are planning to pedal to camp.

Dave's rig came in real handy at Reyes.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Pimp Your Tent....for Fun on 12/17/2012 12:32:26 MST Print View

Just something for fun...maybe it will be a contest event? (Will have to talk to Ken about this).

Called it an extended Xmas celebration, but lets see who has the most pimped out tent.

I plan on brining some battery operated Xmas lights to string on my tarptent...maybe bring some other stuff to dress up the tent just for the heck of it.

Bring out your inner pimp daddy and momma and puts some flash, color, and bling onto your shelter!!!!

-Tony

Soul patch
(mtblack) - F
Re: Pimp Your Tent....for Fun on 12/17/2012 13:38:35 MST Print View

Lawn gnomes.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Pimp Your Tent....for Fun on 12/17/2012 14:36:40 MST Print View

Make that UL Ti Lawn Gnomes.....

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: 3rd Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2011 Henry W Coe on 12/17/2012 15:50:15 MST Print View

Somebody should get the Ti dice from that Kickstarter thread and hang em from your tent, a la dice-in-the-mirror

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: 3rd Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2011 Henry W Coe on 12/17/2012 16:16:41 MST Print View

Now you are talking....maybe the six sides of the dice shouldn't have number, but these....to help you when deciding to buy UL items online:

1. Cuben

2. Ti

3. Silnylon

4. Carbon Fiber

5. Alcohol

6. Esbit

Can't make a decision on what option when buying UL gear?

Let your Ti Dice help you take the stress out of shopping for UL gear.

That should cover a lot of options when having to make a decision on what to buy. :)

Edited by Valshar on 12/17/2012 16:18:03 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Pimp Your Tent....for Fun on 12/17/2012 19:25:30 MST Print View

Great idea. Go nuts!

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
pimp your tent on 12/18/2012 20:47:07 MST Print View

well if its a pimp your tent contest jack and i are out of the running

it would have to be a pimp your bivy contest lol

i can already imagine a battery powered disco ball hung from the ridgeline of my tarp

and some blinking lights all around the edge of it maybe even come confetti on the floor just for more visual effect along with some i pod disco music on the external speakers lol

kevin

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

3rd Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2011 Henry W Coe on 12/21/2012 06:16:36 MST Print View

Help this become the largest group yet.

Plenty of room yet

Don't just tell your friends, bring them.

Spread the word.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: 3rd Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2011 Henry W Coe on 12/21/2012 06:31:06 MST Print View

Ken,

"Help this become the largest group yet."

Will this help? LOL

I know this is a "Stretch" ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

3rd Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2011 Henry W Coe on 12/21/2012 06:50:26 MST Print View

Thanks John. That would come in handy.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Henry Coe. Who's bringing a bike with trailer? on 12/22/2012 09:26:34 MST Print View

Bumping the question.

A few of these could make life easier for a bunch of people. Please chime in if you are planning to pedal to camp.

Dave's rig came in real handy at Reyes.

Richard Niemi
(rickniemi) - F - M

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains
5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 12/23/2012 14:29:27 MST Print View

Count me in!
It will be great seeing everyone and all the gear!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 12/25/2012 08:47:34 MST Print View

Merry Christmas all. One month away now. Plenty of room for you and your friends...

Soul patch
(mtblack) - F
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 12/26/2012 00:02:03 MST Print View

The hills near Morgan Hill are greening nicely and we have storms for most of the week. It should be very pretty in January.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 12/26/2012 06:20:15 MST Print View

Lush green hills, and stuff you got for the holidays. Perfect.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

BPL @ Henry Coe on 12/28/2012 07:00:59 MST Print View

Whoo Hoo! Less than a month away. Time for me to get busy. Plenty of room for you and your friends. Read first post in thread for all the information.

See you there!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Meet the manufacturers... on 12/29/2012 09:16:44 MST Print View

And see friends new and old.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 12/31/2012 18:09:59 MST Print View

Bump one more time for 2012.

It will be sunny and nice this time around. Yes it will.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 12/31/2012 18:10:53 MST Print View

It will be sunny and nice this time around. Yes it will.

It better be!!!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 12/31/2012 18:13:56 MST Print View

Not windy either.

Be there you'll see.

Disclaimer: I have no influence on the weather.

Edited by kthompson on 01/13/2013 22:08:20 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/02/2013 07:07:04 MST Print View

Welcome in the New Year and new gear with all of us at Coe.

We have group spots 4 and 5 so far...

Still plenty of room.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

GGG5: Trail Run Anyone? on 01/02/2013 15:26:47 MST Print View

I'm thinking about hitting up a short run whilst GGGing. Going to start at camp, head down to Soda Springs, then along the creek to China Hole, ascending up to Manzanita Point and back to camp via the China Hole Trail. This is roughly a 4.5-5 mile run/hike (emphasis on run). It's more or less a split between downhill and uphill, first losing ~1100 feet over ~2.5 miles, then gaining it back.

I was thinking Sat morning or afternoon... either way. Anyone want to join me?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Fifty+ BPLr's in one spot on 01/03/2013 06:19:12 MST Print View

Have just over 50 signed up. Three weeks away.

Still plenty of space.

R.S.V.P.

Russell S
(HikingMano) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Re: Fifty+ BPLr's in one spot on 01/03/2013 09:15:48 MST Print View

I don't think I can make this one, but is there a deadline of some sort, just in case I discover I am able to attend?

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Fifty+ BPLr's in one spot on 01/03/2013 11:52:05 MST Print View

Russell,

RSVPing in advance helps Ken know what to expect and is appreciated.

However, I think that he has three group sites reserved with a capacity of 75-100???

Maybe Ken can chime in on what the max capacity is.

Point is that if we are no where near the max. capacity, showing up on the fly is fine...just slide a few bucks to Ken when you show up.

Ken has been great in that he has been fronting all the money for this out of his pocket and then asking people to Paypal him a few dollars to recoup cost of reserving the sites and for supplies for the GGG.

Hope you can make it....should be a lot of fun to make new friends, see familiar faces, and to check out the tons of gear that people have.

-Tony

Russell S
(HikingMano) - F

Re: Re: Fifty+ BPLr's in one spot on 01/03/2013 12:13:31 MST Print View

Right, I will of course try to let him know and send money ASAP if I am able to attend. Nice to know there is some wiggle room if you guys are, at most, 2/3 capacity currently. Thanks, Tony! Ken, it is indeed great of you to put this together. If I can't do this year, I'll be sure to block off time for the next one.

George Davis
(nsiderbam) - F

Locale: mid-Atlantic
darn on 01/03/2013 14:51:44 MST Print View

This looks like a blast -- I wish there was some way I could make it!

Have fun everyone!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/04/2013 20:24:26 MST Print View

No deadlines. I know people may not decide until the last minute. It's winter and the weather is unpredictable. That's cool, I get it. Those that do commit early on do make the whole thing possible and I have to extend a special thanks to you all. If I had the money to front it all I would. This is not the case. So paying in advance is a huge help.

Now of course people are welcome to come out for the day. Saturday will be the day to see the most of everything and everyone.

You'll need to take care of your parking permit at the headquarters. Park in the overflow lot before the top of the hill. Look for signage. Then come on over and say hi.

Russell S
(HikingMano) - F

Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/04/2013 20:30:11 MST Print View

Haha, I'm fine with any weather, it's the existing plans with the GF :) I hope I can swing it, if not, have fun you all, and I hope to see you all next year.

Linda Vassallo
(eastbayhiker)

Locale: Eastbay
Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/05/2013 17:38:07 MST Print View

Hello Ken. I will attend. This is my first time to join the festivities and I'm looking forward to it.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/06/2013 07:48:18 MST Print View

Thanks Linda.

Everyone: I need to update the first post. Please read it or re read it first. Thanks.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

GGG instructions for those who don't like to read. on 01/06/2013 07:59:07 MST Print View

You know who you are.. This is the minimum.

As always your financial support to cover costs is greatly appreciated/needed. kenthompson2(at)mac.com is my Paypal address.
I'm asking $15 each this time around. Don't forget to get a parking pass from the park office. After hours check in available.

Who: BPLrs and their ilk.

What: GGG 5.0 The annual get together

Where: Henry W. Coe State Park Group Spot #5 is where you will find the courtesy tent and camping info. We have group spot 4 also, That one has Oaks for shade and hammocks. Two new bathrooms too.

When: January 25-27th 2013 A few will be car camping Thurs. night the 24th at the HQ campground. I'll be in spot 19. Rain or shine, or snow even. We will be centered in group spot 5. Check in there before you select a site.

How it works:
The group spots are dry, no water. No problem, We will haul in plenty of water for everyone. We are also able to shuttle food, equipment, firewood and a few people even to the group spot by vehicle(weather permitting). If you are in need of having stuff hauled in please follow these steps. By mid afternoon Friday. We have to go in before the staff goes home/before dark. Drive to campsite 19 at the HQ campground and drop off your stuff. Get your parking permit at the HQ and go park in the overflow lot down the hill a bit from the HQ. Then hike to camp and be reunited with your stuff.
The park does not allow us to make multiple trips back and forth to haul stuff in. We need to do one big load. Any thing else can be hauled in by bicycle trailer as well. I will see about getting one vehicle in on Saturday.

With families now coming just a few words on behavior.

A note to drinkers: Know your limit and don't get annoying.

A note to pot smokers: Be a little discreet would you? Not everyone does or wants to see you doing. No pulling bongs out in the
middle of a group like it is legal. Not everyone has a 215 either I bet. Just be cool OK? Seriously.

If you make a bad guest you will be ejected. NO BS. Everyone is there for a good time, Don't be a downer.

Edited by kthompson on 01/06/2013 08:02:39 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. less than 3 weeks away on 01/07/2013 12:00:56 MST Print View

There is still room. Don't miss out.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: GGG5: Trail Run Anyone? on 01/07/2013 16:43:21 MST Print View

No takers on the trail run? We can always try a blindfolded run through the trees, but I think the trail run might be more fun.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: GGG5: Trail Run Anyone? on 01/07/2013 16:51:58 MST Print View

I'll join you as long as I'm able to go.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Re: Re: GGG5: Trail Run Anyone? on 01/07/2013 17:21:16 MST Print View

Sounds good Aaron. Hope you can make it out.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
Edibles on 01/07/2013 18:21:37 MST Print View

Ken
I understand and appreciate your concern about pungent aromas and whipping out unusual items around children. Legitimate cardholders can pick up edibles or tinctures instead and keep them under their strict control. A discrete puff here and there or on the way to restrooms won't hurt anyone, but we don't want our group mistaken for a reggae festival. Having said that, as one of those bringing children, we all know any behavior problems are likely to stem from alcohol, not cannabis, so let's not freak out if a trace of that hard-to-hide aroma is noticed. Discretion and common sense.
BTW, any packrafters coming?

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Packrafters coming on 01/07/2013 18:35:20 MST Print View

Yes, but without the boat this trip.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Edibles on 01/07/2013 18:58:19 MST Print View

Thanks James.

Disclaimer: Deb's brownies are delicious, but not enhanced brownies.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: GGG5: Trail Run Anyone? on 01/07/2013 19:32:31 MST Print View

Would like to meet you finally Aaron. Hope you can make it too.

Soul patch
(mtblack) - F
5th annual Bay Area GGG 5 transport on 01/07/2013 19:53:50 MST Print View

I am inclined to head out Thursday night and camp. I can adjust this if people in the Bay Area are interested in car pooling from SF on Friday. I have a Subaru wagon and can accommodate 3 passengers with UL gear.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
5TH Annual GGG 1/25-27, 2013 Henry Coe St Park on 01/07/2013 21:26:05 MST Print View

Heading out to the Mississippi Lake Loop(25 miles)late Thursday afternoon or early Friday morning. I will meet up with the GGG group probally Saturday afternoon. If anyone has interest in a backpacking trip before the Gathering of Gear Geeks send me a PM. Thanks

Is --B.G.-- coming?

Edited by Creachen on 01/07/2013 21:29:54 MST.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: 5TH Annual GGG 1/25-27, 2013 Henry Coe St Park on 01/07/2013 21:33:39 MST Print View

Hahahha... man I really missed out last year.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5TH Annual GGG 1/25-27, 2013 Henry Coe St Park on 01/07/2013 21:33:45 MST Print View

"Is --B.G.-- coming?"

Yes. the one in the photo is coming.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: 5TH Annual GGG 1/25-27, 2013 Henry Coe St Park on 01/07/2013 23:07:29 MST Print View

But, but, that is some imposter. He's probably a foreign agent or something.

--B.G.--

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: GGG instructions for those who don't like to read. on 01/08/2013 01:49:06 MST Print View

Ken Thompson writ:
-----------------------------------
A note to pot smokers: Be a little discreet would you? Not everyone does or wants to see you doing. No pulling bongs out in the middle of a group like it is legal. Not everyone has a 215 either I bet. Just be cool OK? Seriously.
-----------------------------------

I had forgotten that this might be an issue. Since reading your comment I've been mulling it over, and though I feel sort of ridiculous asking this, I've come to the conclusion that I have to ask because I don't have enough information to make a reasonable guess. My question is: How hard is it going to be for me to avoid exposure to pot if I go?

I have a fairly severe allergy to marijuana, and it only takes a tiny exposure to set it off. I've had asthma attacks triggered by someone lighting up half a block away, and have often become ill after a few minutes of being in the vicinity (say 10-15 feet away) of someone who had a closed baggie full in a pocket. My reactions aren't life-threatening but they are profoundly annoying.

I'm not asking anyone to make accommodations for me; I don't think it's right to infringe on other people's enjoyment. But I am wondering, do people tend to hike off in the distance to smoke, or will they be doing it around the campfire? And is the site laid out in such a way that I could make sure my tent isn't next to someone's stash?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5TH Annual GGG 1/25-27, 2013 Henry Coe St Park on 01/08/2013 06:14:16 MST Print View

Rowan. It is not like a Dead show. People usually hike off somewhere. I'm just putting it out there so people can be aware. It is a big enough camping area that you can have a weed free zone. The majority of those who attend do not partake.

I went back and forth deciding whether to bring it up or not. Been a non issue so far.

Edited by kthompson on 01/08/2013 06:18:58 MST.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
carpooling on 01/08/2013 12:01:21 MST Print View

Anyone in the Berkeley/Oakland area want to carpool? I can drive(full disclosure: my car smells a bit funky from taking my dog to her regular mud baths)or ride+pay for gas. Flexible on departure times.

Soul patch
(mtblack) - F
Re: Re: GGG instructions for those who don't like to read. on 01/08/2013 12:11:08 MST Print View

Rowan,

Smoking various plants has often been accommodated by discrete "Safety Meetings". Something similar will most likely occur at the GGG without too much coercion.

Edited by mtblack on 01/09/2013 19:37:16 MST.

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Re: GGG instructions for those who don't like to read. on 01/09/2013 04:06:03 MST Print View

Okay then! I will request that Friday off, and join you all unless my vacation day gets denied for some reason. I will need to carpool with someone from the Bay Area. I'm on the Peninsula but I can take BART or Caltrain to any station that's convenient for you. And of course I will share the cost of gas.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: 5TH Annual GGG 1/25-27, 2013 Henry Coe St Park on 01/09/2013 13:59:39 MST Print View

Ken,

I think that your calling out that pot smokers should be respectful of others around them was absolutely the right call.

Better to have the issue out there and known vs. a surprise that might offend, upset, or hurt people with allergies to smoke.

That said, with all of the GGGs that I have been to, everyone who does partake in smoking has been great about asking if it was okay or if it would offend.

It has been done descretely and not in the open of the whole group.

If the past is any indication, those who enjoy smoking will congregate together and will do so away from the rest of the main gathering.

If anyone where to have an issue with the activity being too close them, I am sure that a polite and civil conversation that is not judgemental about the activity can be had and accomodations will be made.

As I have said in the past, some of the best people I have met are my fellow backpackers/BPLers....I would be shocked if there were problems over this issue.

If someone is not comfortable talking directly to someone who smoke, feel free to talk to Ken or myself and we can bring it up with the person.

We are all here to have fun.

-Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

GGG @ Henry Coe in two weeks on 01/09/2013 18:55:55 MST Print View

Wed. after next I'll be packing up and getting ready to head south Thurs. morning. Can hardly believe it is that close. Don't wait until the last minute to ask a question of me. I'll be on the road and no internet for me once I leave the house.

Was listening to Ron Moak on the UK podcasts from the Outdoors Station. He talks about revealing some new groundbreaking product at an event at the end of Jan. That's us people! Surprise! Cool.

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Re: GGG @ Henry Coe in two weeks on 01/09/2013 22:21:13 MST Print View

Got my vacation day! Will be sending funds shortly.

What's the best way to arrange carpooling? Sharon, I tried to PM you but it told me you don't have PMs set up.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

GGG @ Henry Coe in two weeks on 01/10/2013 06:52:33 MST Print View

Thanks Rowan

Try Sharon again, looks like PMs are set up.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. basic information on 01/10/2013 19:58:06 MST Print View

Who: BPLrs and their ilk.

What: GGG 5.0 The annual get together Don't forget the gear swap!

Where: Henry W. Coe State Park Group Spot #5 is where you will find the courtesy tent and camping info. We have group spot 4 also, That one has Oaks for shade and hammocks. Two new bathrooms too.

When: January 25-27th 2013 A few will be car camping Thurs. night the 24th at the HQ campground. I'll be in spot 19. Rain or shine, or snow even. We will be centered in group spot 5. Check in there before you select a site.

How it works:
The group spots are dry, no water. No problem, We will haul in plenty of water for everyone. We are also able to shuttle food, equipment, firewood and a few people even to the group spot by vehicle(weather permitting). If you are in need of having stuff hauled in please follow these steps. By mid afternoon Friday. We have to go in before the staff goes home/before dark. Drive to campsite 19 at the HQ campground and drop off your stuff. Get your parking permit ($8.00 per night) at the HQ and go park in the overflow lot down the hill a bit from the HQ. You do need to pay for parking at the park. Then hike to camp and be reunited with your stuff.
The park does not allow us to make multiple trips back and forth to haul stuff in. We need to do one big load. Any thing else can be hauled in by bicycle trailer as well. I will see about getting one vehicle in on Saturday.

I'm asking $15 each this time around.

Read the whole first post in this thread before you PM me with any questions. But feel free to PM me about anything.

Edited by kthompson on 01/10/2013 22:00:05 MST.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/12/2013 00:01:22 MST Print View

I plan on coming. I would drive from Santa Rosa through the east bay (berkley, oakland, ect.) Anybody want to carpool? I would really like to cut down on gas and parking costs. I can drive. Or if someone else is driving, I could pitch it for gas/parking. It's a little far off, so people will probably figure out carpooling later.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/12/2013 07:24:59 MST Print View

Justin, I live in Penngrove, just north of Petaluma. Would love to carpool. I am bringing some of my cottage products to sell - do you have room for about 4 or 5 file boxes in addition to our gear? I'd be happy to split gas and pay for parking. Was going to send you a PM but don't know how to do it.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Gearswap @ Henry Coe. on 01/12/2013 09:52:05 MST Print View

Just a reminder. I think we should do it Saturday. What do you think? Weather forecast looks nice. So support vehicles will be able to haul your stuff in. Read instructions in first post.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Gearswap @ Henry Coe. on 01/12/2013 09:59:57 MST Print View

Sweet!!

While I do not have four or five boxes worth of stuff... I should have an entire sub five pound setup that is sitting around gathering dust that I will probably take and have for sale. Sold at least four complete setups last year, this will be a good way to kick off the 2013 season. Bring your money folks!!! :-D

Items on my wishlist:

Garmin GPSMAP 62S
TiGoat Bug Bivy
Bare Boxer Contender
Western Mountaineering Badger GWS, 6 foot, left side zipper
SMD Skyscape - X (because three is never enough!)
MontBell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger, #1, left zipper, regular size
SMD Gatewood Cape (come on ron, give us a cuben fiber one of these!!!)
Bearikade Expedition
Bearikade Weekend

Edited by JohnAbela on 01/12/2013 10:03:42 MST.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Gearswap @ Henry Coe. on 01/12/2013 12:45:27 MST Print View

What time Saturday morning will the gear shuttle take off? I want to know how early I need to get the brownies there...

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Re: Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/12/2013 14:59:34 MST Print View

David, that sounds good. I am driving a ford taurus which has a decent trunk, so there should be room for your gear. I'm only bringing a pack.

To PM someone, click on their name which takes you to their profile. From there, click the "Send a Personal Message" link. The personal messages get sent by email.

When it gets closer to the event, I will send you my phone number and you can send me your address.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Brownies @ Henry Coe. on 01/12/2013 15:10:39 MST Print View

How about mid morning? 10ish?

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: Brownies @ Henry Coe. on 01/12/2013 17:03:41 MST Print View

"How about mid morning? 10ish?"

I think that should be do-able. Thanks.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/13/2013 08:44:57 MST Print View

Don't think it's too late to sign up. Still have some room. It'll be over and done two weeks from now. Don't miss out on a good time.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/13/2013 13:18:29 MST Print View

I've started an amazing and promising Kickstarter to fund my trip to Henry W. Coe for the GGG 5.0 on Jan 25. Thanks for your consideration people! So far, I've raised .5% of my goal, but with your help, can hopefully make that Greyhound bus ticket (I'm FAA flight banned until 2014) a reality.

There are several Pledge amounts available. As a backer, I promise you that I'll deliver on my.... promises, in a timely manner.

Pledge $.50 or more: Receive unconditional esbit deposit removal from your cook pot bottom for the duration of your stay at the GGG. I'll even snuff out unused esbit tabs for when you want to heat up your cocoa later.

Pledge $5 or more: Backers at this ground level will not only receive esbit soot removal from their pot, they will also receive kindling preparation for their wood stove use. Even better, I'll scrape the charred Idahoan instant mashed potatoes from your pot as well, so you can sit back in a sodium laden comatose state.

Pledge $10: Tired of lugging that frameless UL pack loaded with a case of beer into Henry Coe? Don't feel like setting up that 4oz. cuben tarp or inflating that 1.5lb down air mattress you brought along? Crack open that beer and dump your pack on the ground, let me take care of setup and breakdown. That's right, I'll be your very own GGG 5.0 concierge. I'm just an emergency whistle blow away.

Pledge $20: Receive one HD (1080p 60fps) DVD copy of your experience at GGG 5.0 as seen from the non-invasive and completely discrete perspective of my personal surveillance drone. Have you ever wondered what that 3-season down parka looks like on you from above? Now you don't have to!

Pledge $50: You did it! Good for you, you won't regret funding this amazing project at the highest level possible. Not only will you receive all the lesser item's promised to those cheaper Pledgers, you will get to ride back to New Mexico on the Greyhound bus with me (*this comes out of your pledge money) and share a night out on the town for a plate of the best green chile enchiladas in the world.

Together, we can make this happen.

Kickstarter Campaign- Destination: GGG 5.0

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

Locale: California
5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/13/2013 13:22:19 MST Print View

Strange.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/13/2013 13:47:15 MST Print View

I'm sending $50 right away!

I also watched that whole video.

awesome.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

A lot to do at Henry Coe! on 01/13/2013 15:25:41 MST Print View

Don't come too late in the day Saturday. Many things going on. It goes by real fast.

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/13/2013 16:29:12 MST Print View

Howdy,

Just wondering is there a specific time we should be showing up on Friday or just when ever.

I assume we should park in the over flow parking lot?

-Frank

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/13/2013 16:32:29 MST Print View

Friday people tend to trickle in all day. Don't forget to factor in the time for the hike from the parking lot to camp. Approx. 3.5 miles.

Yes on the overflow lot. Get your pass first.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/14/2013 14:49:11 MST Print View

Do you know about what time the support vehicle will bring everything back to the parking lot on Sunday?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/14/2013 16:46:47 MST Print View

We have to vacate by 11AM

I've, well you do too, have a long drive. I'll be headed out before then.

Mike Oxford
(moxford) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA
Bugs and poison oak on 01/14/2013 17:38:08 MST Print View

Just a note, Coe is serious tick-country. The ticks don't seem to mind DEET (though Permethrin works normally.)

They're on the weeds, in the trees and, well, everywhere.

if you pitch on/near the grass or under a tree, you might be quite surprised. Inners/nets/nests and tick checks at your own discretion. (The CO2 in your breath makes them active and drop out of the trees.)

Check frequently after hiking, and watch for poison oak which, this time of year, is hard to see and identify due to no leaves. Do your research ahead of time or prepare for the Urushiol Ball (feat: DJs Itchy and Scratchy)

Zanfel (no affiliation) has numerous converts but it's expensive. Cheaper to just stay out of it. :)

G'luck and stay healthy!

-mox

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Good advice on 01/14/2013 18:01:28 MST Print View

We have experienced both of these joys of nature at Coe. Just like anywhere else outside, be aware of your surroundings.

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Room? on 01/15/2013 08:37:23 MST Print View

Due to work schedule conflicts I will no longer be able to make it for the entire weekend but will try to get out for time on Saturday. Thanks for putting this together!
-James

Edited by jdegraaf on 01/21/2013 15:14:22 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Room? on 01/15/2013 16:47:54 MST Print View

We will be glad to see you there James.

Still room for about a dozen. We can always get the adjoining spot if needed. Staff at Coe have always been great to work with.

Edited by kthompson on 01/15/2013 18:57:59 MST.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Room? on 01/15/2013 17:55:48 MST Print View

Me too.

I'll be there.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/15/2013 21:25:15 MST Print View

in ten days...

Still some room for camping. Feel free to come out for the day on Saturday too.

Please read the first post in this thread before PMing me with any questions. If the answer is not there then please feel free to ask.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/16/2013 06:33:28 MST Print View

9 days away. I leave in 8

Thanks in advance to those who are making some long drives to be there. And to those who will fly in, doubly so.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/16/2013 06:37:49 MST Print View

Would like to add my daughter.
Thanks! See you soon.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/16/2013 06:51:47 MST Print View

Yeah!! See you both there!

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Geocaching Activity for Kids at Henry Coe on 01/16/2013 16:09:10 MST Print View

This year's GGG 5 will offer a geocaching course for kids. We will hide special geocaches just for this event. The kids will be allowed to take an item from each geocache they find. So there is no need to bring trading items like you would have to for normal geocaching.

I would appreciate if interested parents provide some input. That will help me a lot in preparing the event.

1) How many kids are you bringing?
2) Will you bring your own GPS receiver or do you need a loaner?
3) Do you prefer to have this activity Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning?
4) Would you like to get an "Introduction into using a GPS receiver" for your kid?

At least for my kids geocaching is a great way to get them to hike longer distances. Finding 10 geocaches along a 5 mile loop is great fun to them. They don't even notice the distance while competing to be first at the geocache.

The map of the area of our campsite has one obvious loop of roughly 5 miles (going down to China Hole, going to Madrone Soda Springs, going back up to the camp sites).

5) Would your child enjoy the whole loop (given enough geocaches) or do you prefer a shorter in-and-out between the group camp and Blue Oak Horse Camp?

Henry Coe

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/16/2013 17:31:50 MST Print View

I would like to add +1. I am going to be picking up Kyle on the way. He doesn't have paypal, so he will pay you cash when he gets there.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Geocaching Activity for Kids at Henry Coe on 01/16/2013 19:26:36 MST Print View

Thanks for this Manfred. I can loan out a GPS if needed. I'll pack it now so I don't forget.

OK Justin. see you both there.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
GPS on 01/16/2013 19:52:06 MST Print View

Manfred
Thanks so much for your efforts on this. This really is going to be a great activity for the children. I will bring two girls ages 12 and 9. We don't have a GPS. We will probably arrive late Friday (after 5 p.m.). Other than that, we're totally flexible on the timing. We're all looking forward to it!
Jim

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Re: GPS on 01/17/2013 02:04:34 MST Print View

James, if you have a smartphone, you can get some topo gps apps that work surprisingly well.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
Smartphone w/GPS on 01/17/2013 05:34:22 MST Print View

Thanks for the info Justin. In that case, we will bring one smartphone GPS.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/17/2013 06:17:18 MST Print View

Just a week away now.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/17/2013 13:08:24 MST Print View

Ken,

Looks like I will be solo on this trip.

Daughter can not get out of gymnastics for that day until 3pm Saturday, so no family. :)

Wanted them to see the stupid stuff that daddy does his friends. :)

By the way, do you want me to bring out Duraflame logs as fire starters for the campfires?

I still have a Costco size box of these from last year that I can bring out.

We can load them onto the support vehicle or I can carry some in and see if I can find some volunteers to take a log in each.

Trying to get over this flu bug that has been running around...either way, I am going to get myself out there.

Looking forward to seeing everyone...old and new friends!

Also...given that there will be water brought in, do you think that a point should be made that people should still bring in a few liters????

I think that the water bladder that Marc bought last time had a capacity of 50 gallons.

Probably enough water being brought in to suppliment people, but they should bring in some water to start with.

What do you think Ken?

-Tony

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/17/2013 14:24:39 MST Print View

Duraflame log? Tisk tisk... I can carry in a very sharp axe for splitting kindling off the firewood, if that would be useful.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/17/2013 16:53:30 MST Print View

Justin,

Well, your idea does seem waaaaaay too logicial, but if I want to train to become a professional sherpa, I have to get used to carry heavy loads.

Plus, who does not love a duraflame log?

I hear that they make great fire starters and doubles as a pillow. :)

Then again, which is lighter....the 5 lb log or the axe?

-Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/17/2013 17:44:04 MST Print View

Tony. I know you are trying to get rid of those logs. Why not bring a few as cheater starters.

As far as water is concerned.. Marc will bring his 75 gallon water bag. I will have another 15 gallons. I would say if you are camping then maybe bring in a liter. If you are coming only for the day then you should pack in most of your own, I doubt we'll run out.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. on 01/17/2013 18:18:30 MST Print View

"Marc will bring his 75 gallon water bag."

Hey, that's multipurpose. It can double as a water bed.

--B.G.--

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/17/2013 22:06:56 MST Print View

Actually the bladder is 50 gal. I can bring 20 more in five gal. containers.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: water at Coe on 01/17/2013 22:10:25 MST Print View

Did you dump some out or did you have left over Marc? I still had some left in the jugs. People seem to pack some in anyway.
Plus people drink things other than water while there.
I'll bring another 6 gallons.

Edited by kthompson on 01/17/2013 22:33:42 MST.

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/17/2013 22:40:52 MST Print View

There was still some left in the bladder last year.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/17/2013 22:42:41 MST Print View

So plenty of water then. Thanks Marc.

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Parking and Camping Fees at Henry Coe on 01/18/2013 10:43:01 MST Print View

In case you arrive Friday evening after the rangers are gone it is a good idea to have exact change for the "iron ranger" - or a check.

The current fees at Henry Coe are $8 for parking per day and $5 for camping per person per day.

See you all next weekend,

Manfred

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
GPS data -- Geocaching for Kids on 01/18/2013 11:10:57 MST Print View

For everyone who brings their own GPS or their smartphone with a geocaching app, I prepared a GPX file for download.

Gaia GPS and OruxMaps are two of several apps for your iPhone or your Android phone that allow you to import the GPX file.

Don't worry if you don't have a GPS. I will bring 7 GPS loaners that have this GPX file already loaded and are ready to go whenever you and your kid are ready.

The GPX file contains
1) 14 special geocaches that will be placed Saturday morning. Your kids will be allowed to take one item out of each cache.
2) 16 normal geocaches. Normal geocaching rules apply - meaning your kids can trade items (for example an item they took from one of the special caches)
3) 1 track that you can follow to get to camp and do the geocaching loops.

There will actually be two geocaching loops.
1) Less than a mile going from Camp 9 to Camp 7 to Camp 8 to Camp 9. This loop offers 4 special geocaches and is a good warm up. That way your kids get the idea and can ask any questions about the use of the GPS units.
2) 5 miles with 12 geocaches (first and last are the same for both loops). First 3 miles going from Camp 9 down to China Hole, 1 mile along Coyote Creek, 1 mile back up to camp. I will see that I put the more exciting prizes in the caches along the last mile so the kids enjoy it despite the climb.

Below is a map of the courses and all the caches.

This should be fun!

Manfred

P.S.: So far I have 6 kids (ages 9, 9, 11, 11, 12, 14) on my list. Please let me know if you bring kids.

Henry Coe Caches

Edited by Orienteering on 01/19/2013 11:22:40 MST.

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
PDF with Photos of Geocache locations for Download on 01/18/2013 21:20:08 MST Print View

The prior post provided a link to download a GPX file directly to your GPS or smartphone with geocaching app.

Here is a link to a pdf file with photos and coordinates of each geocache.

The photos might come in handy - even if you have the locations already downloaded. They make it easier to search in the right spot once you reach the location.

Have fun out there!

Manfred

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/19/2013 08:14:52 MST Print View

What are your plans for next weekend? You could spend it with us. Some spots left.
Read the first post for all the latest information.

Rick Horne
(Rick778) - M

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell
Re: Geocaching Activity for Kids at Henry Coe on 01/19/2013 12:11:24 MST Print View

Will be bringing my 12 year old daughter. Hopefully, she will want to participate.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/19/2013 14:57:47 MST Print View

Looks like it might rain a little.

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/19/2013 15:32:51 MST Print View

That would be pretty nice if it did rain.

I hope everyone is excited.

Anyone already packed.??

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/19/2013 16:04:52 MST Print View

It wouldn't be a GGG without some sort of precipitation. But we have that cool rain gear.

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Interesting - so far 7 girls signed up for geocaching on 01/19/2013 16:44:52 MST Print View

I just noticed that all 7 kids who got signed up so far (ages 9, 9, 11, 11, 12, 12 , 14) are girls. That is quite a coincidence. Is anyone bringing boys to Henry Coe?

Manfred

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/19/2013 22:50:35 MST Print View

@ Frank. I've been packing stuff up all day today!

Next weekend!!

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
5TH Annual GGG 1/25-27, 2013 Henry Coe St Park on 01/20/2013 04:14:28 MST Print View

I am all packed up for the Mississippi Lake Loop and the GGG. The weather seems to be a little unpredictable but pretty common this time of year at Henry Coe.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5TH Annual GGG and bikes on 01/20/2013 08:14:32 MST Print View

Bicycles are allowed at Coe. Is no one going to ride in?

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
I'd like to come. on 01/20/2013 23:08:12 MST Print View

Is it still possible to come? It's right around the corner.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/21/2013 06:13:32 MST Print View

PM sent to Kevin

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/21/2013 06:36:19 MST Print View

Remember I hit the road Thurs. morning and will be unavailable for comments and answers.

I know that there will be posts and PMs come Saturday even. So sad too bad.. Every year has been the same.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
Geocaching Map and Photos on 01/21/2013 14:27:25 MST Print View

Thanks again Manfred! We downloaded the Gaia geocaching app for our smartphone and printed out the map of the route and photos of the cache points.

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Importing Gecaches to Smartphone (Gaia GPS) on 01/21/2013 14:50:56 MST Print View

James,

great to hear that these resources are useful for you. Now that you have the geocache locations printed, you can of course enter them manually into Gaia GPS. I suggest you import the GPX file I made available in one of the prior messages. That way you get also the 16 official geocaches in addition to our 14 special geocaches. That will allow you to look already for some of the official geocaches on your way in to camp. You also get the breadcrumb trail (track) you can follow around the course.

Here are the instructions how to import a GPX file into Gaia GPS for Android and iPhone
That should save quite some time and make it fun from the beginning without a delay for entering coordinates manually.

Best Regards,

Manfred

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5TH Annual GGG This weekend! on 01/21/2013 20:11:11 MST Print View

Finally you can stop hearing about it and live it instead. Looks like another nice group of people. Quite a few of you have been more than once. Thanks for making it what is has become.

@ Manfred. At least three more boys coming. But still more girls.

If you are still on the fence about coming or not. The time is now. I need a rough count before I take off. For the park staff.

Carpool if you can.

@ Campers Please park in the overflow lot and keep the HQ lot open for day visitors

Edited by kthompson on 01/21/2013 21:32:56 MST.

Kevin Garrison
(kgarrison) - MLife

Still time to sign up? on 01/21/2013 23:38:50 MST Print View

Ken, are you still accepting sign ups? 2 people. Thx

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

GGG Still time to sign up? on 01/22/2013 06:15:58 MST Print View

Down to the wire. I'll put you two on the list.

Read the first post for the latest updated information.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5TH Annual GGG This weekend! on 01/22/2013 06:35:45 MST Print View

I am happy to say we are a capacity crowd this weekend. Thanks to all who RSVP and pre-paid. Everyone is welcome to come out just for the day as well.

Excited!

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: capacity crowd on 01/22/2013 08:24:46 MST Print View

How many does that make, Ken?

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: capacity crowd on 01/22/2013 14:19:23 MST Print View

DK,

I think that each site can hold 50 people, so we must have hit 100, which is a record.

Last year we had about 75.

-Tony

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/22/2013 15:37:03 MST Print View

Howdy,

With that many people coming I hope someone is bringing a Z Packs Hexamid solo/solo plus. I've been wanting to see what of those in person for quite some time.

-Frank

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: capacity crowd on 01/22/2013 15:37:37 MST Print View

Thanks, Tony - in that case, I guess that 4 double batches of brownies are called for (I did 3 last year). Guess I know what I'm doing on Friday :) I'm just glad that the "shuttle" will be operating Sat. morning!

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Rain on 01/22/2013 16:39:06 MST Print View

What happens if it rains, obviously we hike in and camp, but with regards to support vehicles ?

Homeless lady i see everyday told me it is supposed to rain, and she is as reliable as the weather reports.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: capacity crowd on 01/22/2013 18:40:11 MST Print View

70+

Some for the day.

Most for overnight on Sat.

A good size crowd on Friday night.

I won't be alone on Thurs. night at the car campground either.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

GGG & Rain on 01/22/2013 18:56:15 MST Print View

I see a chance. We will have all the heavy stuff in Friday morning.

The park staff was very helpful previously with hauling stuff in with their own vehicle.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Rain on 01/22/2013 18:58:45 MST Print View

Cameron,

Looking forward to seeing you there...been a while.

Regarding the support vehicles, we are allowed to take them with the Ranger's approval, depending on the road conditions.

If the road in is a mucky mud puddle, I am guessing they won't allow us in out of concern for the vehicle to getting stuck.

If we don't have the support vehicles, life gets a little more challenging.

By the way...I heard that you were feeling ill a month ago and were not able to brew any of your beer for the GGG. This true???

Ken....any chance that we could have the support vehicles go in on Friday to drop off wood and some other supplies?

Forecast is for possible rain on Saturday, but not Friday????

That might us the chance to make sure we have the critical stuff in place before the rains hit.

-Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Rain on 01/22/2013 19:14:52 MST Print View

Marc, I and the wood, water get there Thurs. Maybe Ranger Nabor will let us in.

My forecast says 20% for Fri. and 30% on Sat.

So a forecast of 70-80% of no rain.

Edited by kthompson on 01/22/2013 19:23:06 MST.

Kevin Garrison
(kgarrison) - MLife

Perfect on 01/22/2013 22:14:19 MST Print View

Ken, thanks. I look forward to meeting the group.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th GGG last call. on 01/23/2013 06:24:38 MST Print View

To everyone who RSVP. Thank You

Last call for campers.

You have until this evening to speak up.

It's finally here!

Read updated first post for latest information.

Drive safe everyone.

Windy, rainy and kinda cold here today.

Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
Anyone driving up JUST for Saturday? on 01/23/2013 09:17:30 MST Print View

I'm thinking of driving up just to spend all day Saturday. (No overnights).

Anyone interested in carpooling from East Bay to do that? Leave very early morning; return at dusk/dark by headlamp.

- Elizabeth

Rick Horne
(Rick778) - M

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell
Re: Geocaching Activity for Kids at Henry Coe on 01/23/2013 09:43:28 MST Print View

Manfred

It would be great if my daughter could borrow a GPS. Also, great if you did a little "how to class". Neither her or I have used a GPS.

See you all Friday night!

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
GPS Loaners and Class on 01/23/2013 09:52:23 MST Print View

Rick,

No problem. I will bring seven GPS receivers that are set up for the geocaches and ready to go. How-to classes will be offered for anyone who asks - whether they have their own GPS or take a loaner.

Looking forward to see you Friday,

Manfred

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/23/2013 17:38:19 MST Print View

Wood and water loaded. Will head up tomorrow morning. I have #14 for tomorrow night.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/23/2013 17:53:41 MST Print View

Marc,

Just wanted to give out a big THANK YOU for all that you have done for us and the GGG over the past years.

Having all that wood and water has made a huge difference for everyone.

I can think of how cold it was two years ago...it would have been pretty miserable without the raging fire we had to keep us toasty warm.

Looking forward to seeing you again.....will be there Friday afternoon.

-Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

GGG Gear Shuttle on 01/23/2013 18:04:24 MST Print View

@ Jack Elliot et al. We are planning to drive Ron's van in on Saturday. Don't have any idea when they will be getting there. They are driving straight from Salt Lake City and the Outdoor Retailer show. It's only 3 miles to camp. Bring your bike. Everything will work out just fine. Don't stress.

Michael Driscoll
(Hillhikerz) - M

Locale: Monterey Bay
? on parking permit on 01/23/2013 18:40:01 MST Print View

"Buy your parking permit($8, try not to need change, checks OK) at the HQ and go park in the overflow lot down the hill a bit from the HQ"

I plan on coming up Fri. And staying until Sun. Afternoon ?...how much should I make the check out for the parking... Thanks for all this...

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: ? on parking permit on 01/23/2013 19:00:21 MST Print View

My bad $8 per night.

George Maung
(georgemaung) - F

Locale: BayArea
Thanks Ken on 01/23/2013 21:13:10 MST Print View

Thanks for organizing the event Ken.

I will try to get off work and I will bring my Bike Friday if I come.

Thanks.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Bring Cash for Parking- Credit Card Machine is Down on 01/23/2013 22:21:25 MST Print View

Just a heads up everyone.

I received a call from Ranger John this evening regarding the parking situation at Henry Coe.

Apparently, their credit card machine is down and there is no guarantee that it will be up and running by the time we get there.

So cover your bases and have cash in hand, just in case.

Now I just need to start packing my food.....

-Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Bring Cash for Parking- Credit Card Machine is Down on 01/23/2013 22:25:44 MST Print View

Checks are OK too. I got a call as well, They are ready for us.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. @ Henry Coe on 01/24/2013 05:26:56 MST Print View

Whoo Hoo! Finally here,

Van is just about ready. Always a few last minute details to take care of.

I will see you all there.

Thanks everyone.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. @ Henry Coe on 01/24/2013 10:51:13 MST Print View

Ken,

How much gear will each person be allowed to put in the vehicle driving to the camp site? I have about 2 file boxes of wares.

Thanks.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. @ Henry Coe on 01/24/2013 14:03:27 MST Print View

David,

Ken may be on the road at this time.

The two support vehicles are likely to be Ken's VW Van and Marc's truck.

I am sure we will make sure we have room for your two boxes.

The expectation is that people are going to carry in their personal gear/setups to the campsite and that having stuff brought in by vehicle are for those who physical limitations, bringing extra stuff to share with others (such as Dk's fab brownies), etc.

Given that you are taking the time and effort to bring out your wares, I would like to make sure that we have room in the support vehicles to get yours stuff in.

Appreciate your coming out to the GGG.

Almost there!

-Tony

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. @ Henry Coe on 01/24/2013 16:01:49 MST Print View

Tony,

Great. Thank you.

David

Jeremy Pendrey
(Pendrey) - MLife

geocache on 01/24/2013 16:37:08 MST Print View

Manfred:

My son is coming again this year. He will be up for hiking with or without geocache and will also bring a football and baseball stuff because we don't leave home without it. He will probably be up for geocaching, but not positive. We have an ancient GPS that I will try to remember to bring. It's not capable of downloading anything.

My middle schooler daughter is way too cool in her mind to come.

It's okay if my son is the only boy. He had a great time last year and wanted to come again.

See you this weekend.

Jeremy.

Edited by Pendrey on 01/24/2013 16:39:15 MST.

michael grosse
(michaelgrosse)

GGG Participation on 01/24/2013 17:45:14 MST Print View

Hello one and all,
I hadn't joined this site officially yet, but seeing how everyone is rsvping to some degree here, I decided to purchase a memebership. My 10 yo son and I will more likely than not be leaving the Sacramento area, after work, and hiking in sometime Friday, after 2pm, more likely than not closer to 5pm.

looking forward to meeting new faces and seeing what this is all about,

michael grosse

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: GGG Participation on 01/24/2013 18:34:44 MST Print View

Michael,

Thanks for posting up, but a few points of clarification.

This event is open to everyone...BPL membership is not a requirement to come.

At this point, I am not sure that the two group sites that we have reserved have any more open spots. (If you RSVP'ed with Ken previously, then you should be fine).

Ken, who is the organizer, is now on the road and driving down from Northern Cal/Oregon Boarder down to this event and is out of touch.

You are welcome to come and visit for the day....but if you are looking to stay overnight, you will want to check with the website or call into the Ranger Station at Henry Coe Park to see if there are other campsites close by that you can reserve for yourself.

Please see the 1st posting on this thread for all of the information on Henry Coe State park and where we will be at.

Hope to see you there....you will have a blast!

-Tony

P.S. If you see page 8 of the thread, Ken posted on 01-22-13:

I am happy to say we are a capacity crowd this weekend. Thanks to all who RSVP and pre-paid. Everyone is welcome to come out just for the day as well.

Excited!

-Ken

Edited by Valshar on 01/24/2013 18:41:20 MST.

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Great to see all the kids on 01/24/2013 18:37:55 MST Print View

Michael,

great to see that you are bringing your 10 year old son! Right now we should have at least 10 kids between 9 and 14 there.

Jeremy,

I hear you about your daughter. Our 14 year old daughter loved going on the JMT with us two years ago. Now she is more interested in hanging out with her friends and is only reluctantly coming along this weekend.

See you Friday evening,

Manfred

Nathan Hays
(oroambulant)

Locale: San Francisco
Sunday scene? on 01/24/2013 20:24:15 MST Print View

What is the scene like on Sunday for a walk in?

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 01/24/2013 20:28:12 MST Print View

Howdy,

Anyone planning on coming before noon on Friday? Just curious.

I hope everyone is excited.

-Frank

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: GGG Participation on 01/24/2013 22:32:55 MST Print View

Michael,

Another fellow BPLer was nice enough to PM me to remind me that if you are coming out Friday....there are plenty of spot open at the group site for Friday night to Saturday.

The only uncertainty is if there are any open spots at the group site for Saturday night.

My fault for not clearly asking Ken if we were full up for Saturday night.

So please come out, if you can, and check things out and meet the Gear Geeks.

Would love to have you make Friday night....depending on the weather, their may be cancellations on Saturday that may create space at the group site.

Just important to have a backup plan for maybe having to secure another site for yourself on Saturday night.

@ Frank: Three of my friends and myself will be leaving at 1pm on Friday from the East Bay for Henry Coe and will be there in the mid to late afternoon.

@ Nate: Sunday morning, in years past, people were breaking down and heading out relatively early. In the parking lot on Sunday late morning there traditionally has been a gear swap where people show the gear and goods that they would like to sell. So not sure it would be worth it to hike in on Sunday morning as everyone is headed the other direction.

-Tony

Edited by Valshar on 01/24/2013 22:37:15 MST.

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Re: Sunday scene? on 01/24/2013 22:33:40 MST Print View

If I remember right, we're required to be out of the campsites by 11 am on Sunday, so you might not get to spend much time at the gathering.

Michael Driscoll
(Hillhikerz) - M

Locale: Monterey Bay
Michael - Sat campsite on 01/25/2013 10:04:45 MST Print View

Michael you can have my spot for Saturday night as 2 of us will be going out late sat as we have to work sun... look for Michael & Tony we are on bikes...

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Michael - Sat campsite on 01/25/2013 10:27:07 MST Print View

Michael,

Appreciate the generousity of your offer to Michael and his son.

You just have to love BPL people....always the best people.

Just an update for everyone who has expressed concern for Michael and his son being able to attend on Saturday.

Micheal has PMed me and says that he has already been in contact with Ken and secured a spot prior to Ken hitting the road.

So we will have the pleasure of both of them at the GGG.

I will be online and at work for the next three hours and then I will be heading home and hitting the road.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

-Tony

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Another 2 spots tonight for anyone who needs them on 01/26/2013 11:29:02 MST Print View

Me and the Ms. can't wait to roll in soon today, but unable to stay the night, so our 2 paid spots are open for anyone who wants/needs them.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Thank you Ken, volunteers & cottage makers; Pics on 01/27/2013 14:47:44 MST Print View

Thank you Ken, Ranger Jen, all the volunteers, cottage makers/reps Ron and crew from Six Moon Designs, Henry from TarpTent, Grant and crew from Gossamer Gear, Kat P. from Mountaingoat Hats and Goods, David Gardner from G.O.L.D. Gear, Lee and crew from Trail Designs and Jack Elliot from Borah Gear for another AWESOME GGG. Debbie thanks again for the delicious brownies! It was great to see old friends and meet new ones, and check out a huge variety of lightweight gear up close.

Compared to two years ago, noticed more variety in shelters, and more hammocks and tarps, including a bunch of Gatewood Capes.

Already looking forward to the next one!

<center>
 photo IMG_8721_zpsddbbe7a8.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8733_zps171023ec.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8737_zps618560e2.jpg
</center>

Coe is a great place to set yourself up for a kiss - parasitic Mistletoe grows all over the trees:

<center>
 photo IMG_8741_zps02350f92.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8740_zps6f6586fe.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8743_zps6ea5c380.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8744_zpsfa6cae89.jpg
</center>

The SMD Mobile with secret new SMD backpack concept, viewable only under NDA:

<center>
 photo IMG_8745_zpsf04b832f.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8746_zps085c9053.jpg
</center>

Organizer and MC Ken presides proudly over camp:

<center>
 photo IMG_8747_zpseaa74955.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8748_zpse11e56a0.jpg
</center>

Jack's gear swap:

<center>
 photo IMG_8748_zpse11e56a0.jpg
</center>

John Abela's cuben SMD Skyscape X with heat sheet ground sheet:

<center>
 photo IMG_8750_zps09599c38.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8751_zpsafc6bc47.jpg
</center>

Some came by foot, others by pedal:

<center>
 photo IMG_8752_zps9201da7d.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8754_zpsdf6500ca.jpg
</center>

Ken's Swedish palace:

<center>
 photo IMG_8755_zpsb65530f3.jpg
</center>

G.O.L.D. Gear new polycro shelter:

<center>
 photo IMG_8756_zps2b4b2650.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8757_zps729c0888.jpg
</center>

G.O.L.D. Gear ultralight cook systems and poles. The largest ultralight cook systems have a whopping (for a can) 1.3L capacity, stove, cozy, windscreen, etc.

<center>
 photo IMG_8758_zpsd91d06b6.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8759_zps0e425399.jpg
</center>

Mark's orange Focus LT jacket brightened up camp:

<center>
 photo IMG_8760_zps228567fe.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8761_zpsc8e8f222.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8762_zps0e2f87f0.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8763_zpsc546e0f9.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8764_zpsc6c59b9e.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8765_zpsb4390781.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8766_zpsfd9997bc.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8767_zpsacdedcfc.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8768_zps28e14ff3.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8769_zpscefb409d.jpg
</center>

The Wood Stove Contest Begins - where there's smoke there's fire:

<center>
 photo IMG_8770_zps56435cc2.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8771_zpsa0cb1a9c.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8772_zps31f13ba1.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8773_zps4e3d5715.jpg
</center>

Ron warming up in the SMD Mobile:

<center>
 photo IMG_8774_zps6c64348a.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8775_zps2ceedd8d.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8776_zpsf0574ce9.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8777_zps30236914.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8778_zps6e00048a.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8779_zps0e1fbfd5.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8780_zpsedcf7257.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8781_zps8f6a1577.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8782_zpsc0afb8c6.jpg
</center>

Older generation clothing, cook systems and shelter used at Henry Coe:

<center>
 photo IMG_8731_zps38782c25.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8730_zpsb08886d6.jpg
</center>

<center>
 photo IMG_8729_zps72e1cc23.jpg
</center>

Edited by mountainwalker on 01/27/2013 15:26:12 MST.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. @ Henry Coe on 01/27/2013 23:02:31 MST Print View

I would just like to extend a huge thank you to Ken for putting this event together!

This was my first year attending and it was a great time to sit down with others and just talk about life, hiking, gear, and so forth.

I wish it would have been a week long so I could have sat and talked with everybody there.

Also a huge thank you to all of the company owners that came!

I know I asked a bunch of you to drop me a message with your address - you can do so here!

Again, thank you to all who came!

+Abela

michael grosse
(michaelgrosse)

Re: Great to see all the kids on 01/28/2013 10:29:05 MST Print View

Manfred, Ken, Tony, Jane, Justin and everyone else
I want to thank you for your willingness to make sure Keegan and I were able to participate, I saw the various entries posted when I got home and that was pretty cool to see people looking out for others.

I want to thank Manfred for the geocaching, I believe Justin for the fire lessons and everyone else. It was a friendly, enjoyable environment and looking forward to others as well as small trips with interested folk.

thank you,
michael and keegan