Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Puffys for Puppies
Display Avatars Sort By:
Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Puffys for Puppies on 11/26/2012 12:00:08 MST Print View

Hey everyone! It's been some time since I've posted, but I figured this would be of interest to those of us that own winter-unworthy canines. It's starting to dip below freezing in parts of the northeast, and our newly adopted chihuahua mix could use another layer on her morning walks and weekend hikes. Instead of spending money on a sub-par jacket via petco, I decided to stitch some new threads for her. Snug as a bug given the custom fit.

Materials:
Exterior: 210D nylon (coated)
Lining:1.1oz ripstop nylon (coated)
Insulation: 1 ounce of 850+ FP down
Total weight: 2.5 ounces
Details: step-in harness style coat, velcro closure along back with draft tube. Interestingly, before I did the sewn-through baffles, the jacket was massively puffy...even with only 1 oz of down. Baffling it cut down the loft by at least 70%

Because of the seams and the stitched through construction, it's not waterproof. It is extremely water resistant however. I figured that since dog's don't sweat in the traditional sense, the vapor barrier effect won't matter. The use of non-breathable fabrics also prevents any stink/funk penetrating the down insulation. I chose the heavier exterior fabric because she's always brushing up against branches, concrete, rock etc. After a couple of minutes of walking/sprinting in this thing, she generates enough heat to keep her perfectly happy and shake-free for the rest of the walk/hike.

Models Specs:
Name: Pepper aka Pepperoni or Pepperino
Weight: 9.8 lbs of hiking fury

p1
p2
p3

Interior Shot:
p4

Hope you guys like it! If I have some time, and if there's any interest, I may start selling a much more basic version of the coat.

Best,
Konrad

Edited by Konrad1013 on 11/26/2012 12:05:47 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Puffys for Puppies on 11/26/2012 12:17:09 MST Print View

What a face! She's a doll, and good on you for adopting!

Oh yeah, love the coat too. I'll buy one if you can get it to me before Christmas!

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Re: Puffys for Puppies on 11/26/2012 12:34:07 MST Print View

So that's what you've been doing! I had no idea you were a sew-guy. Great work, K-man.

By the way, you've been missed around here.

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
Re: Re: Puffys for Puppies on 11/26/2012 12:40:57 MST Print View

a little dog, a little duck.

awesome.

Ryan Gabriel
(rgabriel) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Awesome on 11/26/2012 13:26:30 MST Print View

NM - saw your specs above. Nice job!

Edited by rgabriel on 11/26/2012 13:27:21 MST.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
Puffys for Puppies on 11/26/2012 17:39:03 MST Print View

"9.8 lbs of hiking fury" lol, she is too cute. Awesome job Konrad, both for the jacket and for giving her what is undoubtedly a wonderful life, not to mention a very chic winter look :-)

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
My dog must have one! on 11/26/2012 18:56:53 MST Print View

Envious is an understatement! Nice work.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Re: Puffys for Puppies on 11/26/2012 22:21:03 MST Print View

Nice job Konrad, I've been wanting to do something like this for my dog so she can stay warm at night after the hike, during the hike shes stays pretty warm.

Jack