Forum Index » GEAR » Addressing ground-side breathability problems while sleeping

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Thermarest sheets on 05/07/2013 12:43:57 MDT Print View

Thermarest makes synthetic pad covers for the NeoAirs that feel like cotton to the skin. I use the covers whenever it is going to be warmer at night and I won't be wearing long sleeves or long johns at night. It has been worth the 6 oz for comfort and sweat-free nights from not laying directly on the pad. Along with a quilt and all of its venting qualities, I have eliminated the dreaded sticking to my pad.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Vapor Barrier on 05/07/2013 13:00:57 MDT Print View

"Anyone ever used a vapor barrier? I personally haven't, but I know what non-breathable plastic feels like. One needs to vent a VBL system due to buildup of moisture, regardless of whether your sleeping system is 'dialed in' for the temperature at hand -- correct, no?"

No, you should not sweat in a VB suit. If you do then you have too much insulation. The intent is for your body to produce a high humidity environment not sweat. As for your original scenario. I am also in the camp that you have too much insulation. I believe you should always go to bed knowing that you will need to add layers. Why? I tend to hike and then immediately go to bed. It takes my body a while to cool down and if I wear the final insulation layers then I will sweat, have condensation and end up a tally being cold.

Jason L
(Jason_Loose_Arrow) - F

Locale: Yosemite
Re: Re: on 05/08/2013 01:02:35 MDT Print View

Good stuff.

My wife and I use VB socks (made from trashcan liners) frequently while backpacking. We really like to use them. They keep our feet warmer, nice and moist, but not wet once. But, we hike in sandals when we're not in the snow.

Good to see that you figured out a solution for your problem. Using a cotton sheet sounds like it would do the trick, but for the downsides. I've also heard that schoeller dryskin is very good for wicking and dispersing moisture without the added weight, perhaps?

I used to wake up in the middle of the night uncomfortable from sweat building up in my nether region. A scrap of cotton fits the bill very well.

By the way, I remembered that there is a "watch this thread" doodad on the top of this thread that one may click to watch the thread. I forgot all about those.